Directors Cup Thread

CDC with another stellar hire...Bob Bowman to replace Eddie Reese for Swimming and Diving. He is the "director of swimming" and Carol Capatani will remain as the head womens swim coach.

Bowman coached Michael Phelps, and just finished a complete overhaul of a terrible Arizona State program that ended in a national championship. The men's program could shoot back to the top if he can get a few of the top Sun Devils to transfer over to go along with the talent on campus and a strong recruiting class.

CDC with another stellar hire...Bob Bowman to replace Eddie Reese for Swimming and Diving. He is the "director of swimming" and Carol Capatani will remain as the head womens swim coach.

Bowman coached Michael Phelps, and just finished a complete overhaul of a terrible Arizona State program that ended in a national championship. The men's program could shoot back to the top if he can get a few of the top Sun Devils to transfer over to go along with the talent on campus and a strong recruiting class.
Great hire. However Eddie is one of the coaches rhatcan not be replaced.

Great hire. However Eddie is one of the coaches rhatcan not be replaced.
This is true. Someone who knows swimming well did compare this to Bear Bryant retiring and hiring Nick Saban to replace him. We will see if Bob can come close to what Eddie accomplished. The SEC will be a more competitive swimming league.

Fellas, I will be on with OnTexasFootball during their livestream tomorrow morning, around 8:30 am to discuss my first predicted top 10 finish for this year's cup.

I don't have all the data yet so right now I am not even sure how the prediction will look...I can say, it is going to be another close finish between Texas and Stanford.

Fellas, I will be on with OnTexasFootball during their livestream tomorrow morning, around 8:30 am to discuss my first predicted top 10 finish for this year's cup.

I don't have all the data yet so right now I am not even sure how the prediction will look...I can say, it is going to be another close finish between Texas and Stanford.

And here is a sneak peak at the prediction. Texas with a 0.2 pt edge over Stanford. Doesn't mean much at this point, only that it will be an incredibly close finish.

And here is a sneak peak at the prediction. Texas with a 0.2 pt edge over Stanford. Doesn't mean much at this point, only that it will be an incredibly close finish.

How many points are you projecting for the baseball team?

How many points are you projecting for the baseball team?
25...Their RPI right now is barely in the top 64. Which may not be enough to make the tournament. Would add insult to injury if they don't make the tourney and we lose the directors' cup by less than 25 points.

• #HookEm
Reactions: tejasrulz

A huge day for Texas Men's Golf as they win the big 12 tournament by 18 strokes! They have some really talented golfers who haven't really all played well together until this week. If they can keep this up at the NCAAs they have a chance to make a deep run.

Texas women's golf is seeded #2 in the Wake Forest regional. The top 5 finishers at the regional advance to the 30 team NCAA tournament finals.

Men's and Women's Tennis will get their seeding early next week. A 1 seed is likely for the men and a 2 seed for the women.

Rowing faces off with Stanford this weekend. The winning team will move forward with the #1 seed going into nationals.

Baseball has a chance to make a big move up the RPI ranks with a series win over OU and Softball has a favorable finish to the big 12 season. If softball wins their remaining games and OU drops 1 game (they play Ok State next weekend), Texas would win the regular season crown.

Lots of fun stuff happening on the 40 Acres.

Quick update running the numbers with new rankings. I am giving Texas 37.5 pts for baseball given that multiple sites are predicted them as a 3 seed in a regional. Obviously baseball could go up or down from here. If Texas takes a 0 there, they will need some good results elsewhere to make up for it - which is actually quite possible this year.

My takeaways: Texas' 38.5 lead basically disappears if they don't make the baseball tournament, scoring 0 instead of 37.5.

Stanford has a lot of opportunities to drop big points if they fail to match their current ranking. W Golf ranked 1st and would lose 10, 17, 27 etc for finishes of 2nd, 3rd, 5th. They are also ranked 2nd in rowing, w tennis and 3rd in womens water polo, softball and beach volleyball. That's 6 sports in the top 3.

I don't see many opportunities for them to gain major points in other sports unless they just go on an absolute tear in a sport where they have been good but not great at so far this year.

Texas of course is at risk of dropping points with a 1st place rank in softball, rowing and 2nd in mens tennis. 3 sports ranked in the top 3.

Texas M Tennis is at risk of dropping points but could also earn 10 additional if they win it all, and they are definitely capable of that. In fact they have already beat the overall 1 seed this season.

I like W Tennis chances of advancing past the sweet 16 as predicted. If they face off with UCLA, they actually have the edge based on player rankings.

Both track teams have chances to bump up or down slightly while both golf teams have been playing some of their best golf of late.

tl:dr - Stanford has more chances to drop points going forward than Texas, and Texas has good opportunities to increase points scored.

Results of interest this weekend:

Both of Texas and Stanford's M&W tennis teams advance to the sweet 16. Stanford Men were expected to lose in the rd of 32 to OU but they pulled off the upset. This adds 14 points to their expected score (50 to 64) though only 5 of those points impact Stanford's total team score as the 64 will replace a score of 59 from indoor track. All of the other teams advancing was expected. Texas Women won a close match 4-3 and have now secured their 64 points as expected. As the 9 seed they travel to 8 seed UCLA and have a good shot at an upset and 9 additional points to the total.

Stanford beach volleyball was upset by LSU in the quarterfinals and they score 65 points instead of 83. This loss of 18 points is fully felt by Stanford in the final team score. Texas beach volleyball was not eligible to make the post season this year.

Baseball looking like more and more of a lock to make the tourney and secure at least 25 points.

Texas lost nor gained any points to their final projection. Stanford nets a 13 points loss (-18+5) and the expected scores now look like:
Texas: 1381.5
Stanford: 1329.75

Great news. Trying not to get too excited with a lot of expected games to get finalized but always watching the horns

Results of interest this weekend:

Both of Texas and Stanford's M&W tennis teams advance to the sweet 16. Stanford Men were expected to lose in the rd of 32 to OU but they pulled off the upset. This adds 14 points to their expected score (50 to 64) though only 5 of those points impact Stanford's total team score as the 64 will replace a score of 59 from indoor track. All of the other teams advancing was expected. Texas Women won a close match 4-3 and have now secured their 64 points as expected. As the 9 seed they travel to 8 seed UCLA and have a good shot at an upset and 9 additional points to the total.

Stanford beach volleyball was upset by LSU in the quarterfinals and they score 65 points instead of 83. This loss of 18 points is fully felt by Stanford in the final team score. Texas beach volleyball was not eligible to make the post season this year.

Baseball looking like more and more of a lock to make the tourney and secure at least 25 points.

Texas lost nor gained any points to their final projection. Stanford nets a 13 points loss (-18+5) and the expected scores now look like:
Texas: 1381.5
Stanford: 1329.75
I was watching some of the L$U vs Stanford sand volleyball games and was rooting for Stanford. I then realized it would help the Horns if Stanford lost so I change my alliance mid games. Good to see L$U pull it out.

Reactions: BWilk55 and Coot
I was watching some of the L$U vs Stanford sand volleyball games and was rooting for Stanford. I then realized it would help the Horns if Stanford lost so I change my alliance mid games. Good to see L$U pull it out.
L$U may well have won because of your change of allegiance. The ethers can be affected by directed emotional vibes.

• Laugh+
I was definitely hoping OU would beat Stanford in M Tennis but its 12:59 pm and....

• #HookEm
Great news. Trying not to get too excited with a lot of expected games to get finalized but always watching the horns
Lots left to play out for sure but my optimism is as high as ever.

Big thing, Baseball nearly assured of the post-season and that's a guarantee of 25 points, and probably pretty easy to get 37.5 by beating a small time 4 seed.

Rowing and track and field are sports where we could lose some points but not fall off a cliff. Tennis has set a floor of 64 points for each team already. Golf can be a finnicky sport overall so I'll feel better when I see them advance out of regionals.