2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (PORTAL CLOSED)

I've been without money, it sucks worse being greedy. If everything I'm reading about Williams' recruitment, maybe we dodge a bullet here by avoiding a cancer being spread in the locker room?
Wasn't there a similar situation with the EDGE from TCU that signed with Nebraska instead?

Anyway, I would like another body on the DL, but Collins, Broughton, both Arizona transfers, Bryant, Mitchell, and January can handle the load

Everyone is concerned about Collins and Broughton, but I gotta tell you I wasn't exactly confident going into the season with Sweat and Murphy last year. I thought there was going to be a drop off after Coburn. Murphy and Sweat exceeded my expectations and then some. Maybe Collins and Broughton will do the same thing.

Coburn was no star until his last year here. Same with Sweat and Murphy. I for some reason think the same thing will happen with Collins and hopefully Broughton. It is like they don't want to work hard until they realize if they dont get off their fat ass and produce, they may be working at Wall Mart

Bobby Burton really doubled down on this on the podcast this morning. Basically said Texas was contacted and asked to match or beat another offer and they declined. Guys at IT have said similar, that Texas wasn't going to pay more than they wanted to and that it's possible OU did just that.

I think Sark and Texas have a good approach with NIL. Texas will take care of it's players but NIL is not the first issue discussed, more like the last. They aren't going to bring in guys who have a main focus of how much NIL they can expect to make.
Didn't Sark, at one point, say that players who prioritized NIL would not be catered to or were not culture fits?

Coburn was no star until his last year here. Same with Sweat and Murphy. I for some reason think the same thing will happen with Collins and hopefully Broughton. It is like they don't want to work hard until they realize if they dont get off their fat ass and produce, they may be working at Wall Mart
I have to beg to differ on Byron Murphy. Honorable Mention Big 12 Freshman defensive player of the year. No accolades during soph campaign but that is when Coburn and Ojomo played really well.

Reactions: Coot
iu

Didn't Sark, at one point, say that players who prioritized NIL would not be catered to or were not culture fits?
Yes, he has stated as much. I suspect a high percentage of the most skilled portal players are looking for the best NIL possible. Period. Sark is smart to recognize that that mentality is short-sighted and contrary to a team first culture. He's looking for the players who see the big picture...helping to achieve team success at the college level opens the doors to the real high-paying jobs in the NFL. In the NFL, they're all pretty much mercenaries, but college programs who do that will probably regret it. He doesn't have to look any further than aggieland for prime evidence.

• #HookEm
Reactions: hornag
It will be a challenge to bring guys here when we’re so loaded where they have to compete compared to being able to start elsewhere (or at least be promised that). The positions we are looking for a mainly reserves although if there was talent there might be starting positions for CB and possibly LB.

I have to beg to differ on Byron Murphy. Honorable Mention Big 12 Freshman defensive player of the year. No accolades during soph campaign but that is when Coburn and Ojomo played really well.
That is a fair point. With that said, I think most of us were still unsure about the DL heading into the season minus Coburn and Ojomo. Here is hoping they can continue getting guys to finally live up to the potential they flashed early on (I'm looking at you A. Collins)

Yes, he has stated as much. I suspect a high percentage of the most skilled portal players are looking for the best NIL possible. Period. Sark is smart to recognize that that mentality is short-sighted and contrary to a team first culture. He's looking for the players who see the big picture...helping to achieve team success at the college level opens the doors to the real high-paying jobs in the NFL. In the NFL, they're all pretty much mercenaries, but college programs who do that will probably regret it. He doesn't have to look any further than aggieland for prime evidence.
I like the aggy analogy, but Colorado and coach Prime have to be the poster child for what's going on in college football.

OTF saying Cole described his visit at UT as "amazing." He told OTF he is now unsure if he will make the Auburn visit next week. Sounds like we may be about to land him.

OTF saying Cole described his visit at UT as "amazing." He told OTF he is now unsure if he will make the Auburn visit next week. Sounds like we may be about to land him.
Does he have 2 years of eligibility left? Looks like he only played 4 games in 2022. Would be nice in that he could likely be the 3rd CB at worst this year and then be ready to step in for Gavin Holmes next year and pair nicely with Muhamed next season.

Does he have 2 years of eligibility left? Looks like he only played 4 games in 2022. Would be nice in that he could likely be the 3rd CB at worst this year and then be ready to step in for Gavin Holmes next year and pair nicely with Muhamed next season.

I'm not sure Gavin Holmes is better than this guy. IMO, if Gavin Holmes is starting, we've got problems.