Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

@DBut82 , blast from the past!

Longview vs Sherman 1976 at Texas Stadium. Sherman won 10-3.

View attachment 7211

I graduated from Sherman in 1969. Wife was about 8 months pregnant with our first kid and the doctor wouldn't let her go to the Longview game. After Sherman won, she didn't ask him about going to the next playoff in Texas Stadium. She said I'm not missing the game. Which was the wild game against Temple when Sherman was up 2 td's with less than 4 minutes to go in the game and Temple scored twice to tie it up and advanced on penetrations. They eventually lost in the state championship game to SA Churchill.

Now for the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey would say.

Back then, only 1 team from a district made the playoffs and Sherman was in the same district as Plano. That year, Sherman beat Plano and went undefeated in the regular season. Beat Longview and then tied Temple to finish the year 11-0-1. The following year, Sherman and Plano tied in the game that would determine the district champion. And guess what? Plano won based on penetrations or first downs tiebreaker and went on to win state that year. Sherman would finish the year 9-0-1.

So over a two year span, Sherman was 20-0-2 and basically had nothing to show for it. Not sure how many teams can say they went undefeated over the course of two years and have nothing to show for it.

Oh, I almost forgot, Our son was born on December 30th. And, in fact, @DBut82 has met my son.

I graduated from Sherman in 1969. Wife was about 8 months pregnant with our first kid and the doctor wouldn't let her go to the Longview game. After Sherman won, she didn't ask him about going to the next playoff in Texas Stadium. She said I'm not missing the game. Which was the wild game against Temple when Sherman was up 2 td's with less than 4 minutes to go in the game and Temple scored twice to tie it up and advanced on penetrations. They eventually lost in the state championship game to SA Churchill.

I was at that game of Sherman vs Temple. That was a crazy game and bizarre rally. I also saw ZZ Top that week in Dallas. They had a longhorn on stage. 🙂

Now for the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey would say.

Back then, only 1 team from a district made the playoffs and Sherman was in the same district as Plano. That year, Sherman beat Plano and went undefeated in the regular season. Beat Longview and then tied Temple to finish the year 11-0-1. The following year, Sherman and Plano tied in the game that would determine the district champion. And guess what? Plano won based on penetrations or first downs tiebreaker and went on to win state that year. Sherman would finish the year 9-0-1.

So over a two year span, Sherman was 20-0-2 and basically had nothing to show for it. Not sure how many teams can say they went undefeated over the course of two years and have nothing to show for it.

Oh, I almost forgot, Our son was born on December 30th. And, in fact, @DBut82 has met my son.

I didn't go to the Sherman-Longviiew game. But I lived rather close to Longview there in Daingerfield at the time. II remember well the buildup to the game . . . and then how crushed they were when they lost. It was a big deal in East Texas back then.

Longview, like Sherman, had a string of a few years where they were very good. Longview was talking state championship. But they ended that run never having played in the state title game. Their state title of a couple years ago was their first sine 1937.