Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

Jun 21, 2016
Doss
I thought we could have a thread about all Longhorn news or opinion regarding everything other than recruiting. I hope I'm not being too presumptuous. There doesn't seem to be many threads started by members.

So, hopefully I'll get this started on the right foot.

Looking at the "Suns out, Guns out" photos, I'm fired up to see all the guys having a great time as they transition from winter conditioning into spring football. I especially like the photo of the QB's. When was the last time Texas had four 4 star/ESPN 300 QB's on scholarship? Add RoJo to the equation and the future looks bright. It also looks like Buechele has added some mass, at least in his arms. 

I don't expect to see much more this spring than last. My experience when I played (back in prehistoric times) was that spring practice was just honing your basic football skills and refamiliarizing with the scheme.  What do the rest of y'all think about the upcoming spring practices?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: doc longhorn
I also noticed Buechelle seemed to have more muscle packed in those arms.  Hope he also increased his core to avoid all of the injuries he seems to attract.

I don't expect to see much more this spring than last. My experience when I played (back in prehistoric times) was that spring practice was just honing your basic football skills and refamiliarizing with the scheme.  What do the rest of y'all think about the upcoming spring practices?

I disagree. I think this should be a totally different spring altogether. This team was jumping into a new scheme on both sides of the football this time last year. Everything was new. They were taking baby steps in the spring game.

Not this year. A year in, this is the second spring in the system, a second spring in the weights/conditioning program. I think we see an entirely different spring season.

Four QBs on the roster? Are you kidding me? Huge intrigue on the new QBs and how they fare. Same with the Sam-Shane thing.

All eyes will be on the OL as we all will be wanting to see improvement there.

The secondary will have new faces, so that will be exciting. 

Not a lot new this time except for the OL coach. I've recently read an Auburn fan site article on their new OL coach who proclaimed he would not keep Herb's plug and play approach to their OL. It was funny to see them seem disappointed in the approach when it obviously worked wonders for them last year.

I disagree. I think this should be a totally different spring altogether. This team was jumping into a new scheme on both sides of the football this time last year. Everything was new. They were taking baby steps in the spring game.

Not this year. A year in, this is the second spring in the system, a second spring in the weights/conditioning program. I think we see an entirely different spring season.

Four QBs on the roster? Are you kidding me? Huge intrigue on the new QBs and how they fare. Same with the Sam-Shane thing.

All eyes will be on the OL as we all will be wanting to see improvement there.

The secondary will have new faces, so that will be exciting. 

Not a lot new this time except for the OL coach. I've recently read an Auburn fan site article on their new OL coach who proclaimed he would not keep Herb's plug and play approach to their OL. It was funny to see them seem disappointed in the approach when it obviously worked wonders for them last year.
Yes, 4 scholarship QB's on the roster. All ESPN 300 kids no less. It has been a while since there was that much potential in the QB room. I'm excited about the DB class and Herb Hand as well.

Don’t know if this goes here but seems like a open discussion forum.... 2 scenerios.

if the horns do not make the big dance do you give Shaka  more year then seats gets warm?

if they do make the tourney and win atleast  1 game do we all forget his 50-49 record so easy???? 

Reactions: Wayne
Don’t know if this goes here but seems like a open discussion forum.... 2 scenerios.

if the horns do not make the big dance do you give Shaka  more year then seats gets warm?

if they do make the tourney and win atleast  1 game do we all forget his 50-49 record so easy???? 

Yeah, he's good going into next year. IMO, the bar for him next year is to compete and be in the top three of the conference. IMO, he has the tools to do it with what he has and what is coming. So failing there would indeed be reason for some frustration.

If he makes the tourney and puts on a good show, his overall doesn't mean much to me. If next year it heads south on him, his overall would be one consideration out of several.

Reactions: okiehorn

He'll get another year. But I think that's just delaying the inevitable. The only offense seems to be shooting it from outside the arc.

Reactions: Bear19
He'll get another year. But I think that's just delaying the inevitable. The only offense seems to be shooting it from outside the arc.
I completely agree. Im not a fan of his. Which sucks because I had high hopes when he came in. Tough to build a program when players leave after 1 year but there’s gotta be someone out there that can do it. The players don’t play like the respect him in my opinion. They know that there able to play street ball and get away with it. Untill the last couple games this was 100% true. 

Did you catch the Kansas-West Virginia game? The only offense on the floor for both teams was the three-point shot for much of the game.

I think KU hit 17 threes against us. This evening they hit 15 I think.

Reactions: 83Dee