Regrets? Was it a good move?

The alleged claim was that five-stars didn't want to play that style, but he was expected to bring in the five-stars, so he changed his style.

Personally, I think it's BS. Five-stars want to go to a winning program, first and foremost.

That's verbatim what I was told by a American Statesman writer friend who covered the team during that time. I was excited by the hire and wish it would have worked out. Seems like he's found the right fit at Marquette.

Reactions: Bear19
The alleged claim was that five-stars didn't want to play that style, but he was expected to bring in the five-stars, so he changed his style.

Personally, I think it's BS. Five-stars want to go to a winning program, first and foremost.
But the 5 stars want to play a NBA style not havoc. Shaka went away from havoc to get the 5 star recruits. The 5 stars were still getting to the NBA with Shaka so they kept coming. But Shaka couldn't coach that style. At Marquette he's getting good recruiting classes but the recruits are 4 stars in the 80-150 national range.

But the 5 stars want to play a NBA style not havoc. Shaka went away from havoc to get the 5 star recruits. The 5 stars were still getting to the NBA with Shaka so they kept coming. But Shaka couldn't coach that style. At Marquette he's getting good recruiting classes but the recruits are 4 stars in the 80-150 national range.
What do I know but maybe it was the other way around. The 5 star bigs (Mo Bamba, etc.) who wanted to come to Texas, didn't have the full court athleticism to play havoc style. Shaka felt he couldn't turn those 5 star bigs down so he changed his scheme to fit them. Either way, it turned out the same, which was square peg/round hole.