Regrets? Was it a good move?

Sirhornsalot

**The Official Horn Sports Landscaper and Landscap
Nov 6, 2013
Rodney Terry, fresh off being handed the keys to the kingdom, has a basketball team in shambles. His coaching decisions have been atrocious. West Virginia has one of their worst teams in years and made us look like a JV team.

Meanwhile, Ole Miss and Chris Beard sit at 15-1.

Did we make the right move, ditching Beard? Maybe it would have sent a bad message to keep him, but Ole Miss had no problem with it.

I've lost faith in Terry. He's just not going to get it done.

Reactions: Bear19 and hornag
I’m not saying it will work out, but after the OU game who would have thought the football team would do what it did ?
Terry may not work out, but he has earned his chance for a full season.
And no, Beard should not have been retained. That is a sick dude.

Rodney Terry, fresh off being handed the keys to the kingdom, has a basketball team in shambles. His coaching decisions have been atrocious. West Virginia has one of their worst teams in years and made us look like a JV team.

Meanwhile, Ole Miss and Chris Beard sit at 15-1.

Did we make the right move, ditching Beard? Maybe it would have sent a bad message to keep him, but Ole Miss had no problem with it.

I've lost faith in Terry. He's just not going to get it done.
I'll admit part of me wonders if we should have kept Beard while the other part of me wonders how we could have kept him.

I thought the job Terry did an excellent job after Beard was suspended/fired. This year I'm wondering where the Terry of last year went.

I’m not saying it will work out, but after the OU game who would have thought the football team would do what it did ?
Terry may not work out, but he has earned his chance for a full season.
And no, Beard should not have been retained. That is a sick dude.
And aren't we all glad that CDC didn't panic after a frustrating 5-7 season

we still have to give credit to Terry getting us to the Elite Eight even though it was Beard’s players. Beard is a great coach but no one can guarantee we would’ve made it that far with Beard.

We are just stuck with this and have to give him a chance.

He has a superstar coming in next year that I hope he doesn’t mess up.

The team has so many new transfers that it’ll take time to gel and figure out what works.

Disu and Mitchell should be the stars but Disu is just getting back and Mitchell only barely stepped up his game from last year.

I just hope they can win enough to make the tournament and be a top 5 big 12 team. It ain’t looking good so far…

Apples and oranges. Sark took over a sh*tshow, Terry was handed a good program on the rise.

We'll see how the rest of the season goes but yesterday was a bad loss, no getting around that.
Hard to find an exact comparison, but many on this site were questioning Herman being let go in Sark's first season. Especially after the loss to tech. Hopefully Terry can fix it

Hard to find an exact comparison, but many on this site were questioning Herman being let go in Sark's first season. Especially after the loss to tech. Hopefully Terry can fix it
You can forgive 5-7 based on the team Herman handed Sark.

But Terry was handed a very good team. In his second year, he's failing miserably. Like Sark, Terry has the resources at UT to go out and obtain the talent, whether it's through recruiting or the portal.

As far as I can see, Terry is good at coaching Beard's players. Not so good at coaching his own additions.

We didn't have to give the job to Terry. There was no obligation there. Texas could have gone out and signed a big name coach. Now, we're suffering due to some perceived obligation.

If where we're at was the right thing to do, then the right thing to do sucked, at least this time.

The question, perhaps, is narrowly focused. Perhaps a wider focused question would be: Did Beard (and his fiancee) make the right move. Just a thought.
I totally agree. Just because another school will look the other way doesn’t mean we should. Beard made it where he could no longer be a good ambassador for the university.

Reactions: Coot
Letting go of Beard was the right thing to do.

Based on the way last season played out, giving RT the job, at a bare minimum, was defensible. Whether it was the right move is arguable.

This season has started off very poorly, but to be fair, there was a decent amount of roster turnover and injuries to the big men. Also, they're definitely missing the player leadership of Carr, Rice, and Bishop. The other big issue is the bench. During conference play, we've gotten nothing from the bench. Last season, Rice was scoring a ton off the bench and there was basically little to no dip when the second unit players would come in because of him.

That said, a coach has to be able to account for many of these issues with the players he brings in. Shedrick looked great early, but he tailed off after the injury bug. The other players brought in aren't generating the scoring needed from that second unit.

Reactions: Sirhornsalot
RT may very well be an excellent coach and he earned the opportunity he now has. However, he doesn't have skins on the wall which makes recruiting top talent a major challenge. Note how Sark's winning season is clear evidence of a program on the rise and recruiting top talent has gotten easier. For RT, last year doesn't really count as much because that was Beard's team. I suspect the basketball team will be above average at best for a couple of years until CDC has to make a change.

He was coach of a great eight team last year. I have hopes he will succeed, we shall see.
One thing is for sure, at Texas you have to win.

RT may very well be an excellent coach and he earned the opportunity he now has. However, he doesn't have skins on the wall which makes recruiting top talent a major challenge. Note how Sark's winning season is clear evidence of a program on the rise and recruiting top talent has gotten easier. For RT, last year doesn't really count as much because that was Beard's team. I suspect the basketball team will be above average at best for a couple of years until CDC has to make a change.
Well he does have the #6 recruiting class in 2024. He’s an ace recruiter.

Our back court is very short - leaving us vulnerable on defense. When Abmas isn't hitting his shots, our offense suffers greatly.

Bottom line - this team is not very good. If we go .500 in the Big 12, I'll be surprised. Next year we have 2 tall 5 star guards coming in (unless they go to the NBA Developmental league). But with the NBA Developmental league and the portal, who knows what our team will look like.

CDC has said that he gives every coach one "reset" year... an opportunity to shuffle the staff before being fired. Look for Terry's to be at the end of this year - if it goes as as badly as I fear it might.

Last year I was shocked and grateful that JT took us as far as he did. I was still concerned with his record as a Head coach. After Beard and his GF had that spat I always thought that the search for the next coach should have been conducted after the season. Call it a gut feeling, but idiots like Dick Vitale forced CDC's hand. Every RT-coaching discussion on media during the tournament was focused on CDC not offering RT a contract.
Just my two cents.