BBQ Thread

I bought a 1/4 of beef thinking I was getting a good deal. It has an OK flavor but no matter how I try to cook it (other than slow in a crock pot) it is tough, tough. Does anyone know a good way to cook it that will yield a more tender meat.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: DBut82
Brown on all sides on the stove top. Cast-iron skillet works best. Then pour in a can of beef consommé and put in oven. Cook slowly at 200 to 250° for three or four hours until tender.

Cook some grands frozen biscuits and make mashed taters. Enjoy.

Reactions: gmcc
I bought a 1/4 of beef thinking I was getting a good deal. It has an OK flavor but no matter how I try to cook it (other than slow in a crock pot) it is tough, tough. Does anyone know a good way to cook it that will yield a more tender meat.
Thanks in advance.
What cut of beef?

What cut of beef?
it is a mix of random cuts, some steaks, ground beef & roasts. Tried to smoke some in a green egg (good flavor, tough). We have used some of the steaks by slow cooking them than adding to beef stew- pretty good, Any thing cooked grill is very difficult.

it is a mix of random cuts, some steaks, ground beef & roasts. Tried to smoke some in a green egg (good flavor, tough). We have used some of the steaks by slow cooking them than adding to beef stew- pretty good, Any thing cooked grill is very difficult.
You can try injecting the roasts with beef tallow then smoke low and slow like a brisket. Wrap with more tallow or butter at 175ish IT and take to 203ish...at least that what I would try...

I think it must have been grass fed, although my neighbor had raved about the meat they had gotten from this guy last spring. I will try to just to cook it low & slow but won't commit the same mistake again. Thanks for all yall's help.

I think it must have been grass fed, although my neighbor had raved about the meat they had gotten from this guy last spring. I will try to just to cook it low & slow but won't commit the same mistake again. Thanks for all yall's help.
Lots of folks fall for the grass fed BS. My neighbors kept telling me they were considering ordering a side of beef from this “organic” farm because it will be healthy and really tender meat. I told them they’d be sorry for spending double on what beef should cost. They said the same thing, tough as nails. They couldn’t understand it. I had to explain it to them. Fat is good stuff

Reactions: DBut82 and gmcc
as I understand it, the USDA does not regulate the term...Organic. Anyone can call anything organic. However, as I understand it, .."grass fed" is code for tough as hell.

The benefit of grass fed is that it will not come loaded with phosphates and such like pesticides......well, unless the grass happened to be fertilized, or was in the runoff zone of a fertilized field.

My advise?....leave the grass fed crap to the Californians.

as I understand it, the USDA does not regulate the term...Organic. Anyone can call anything organic. However, as I understand it, .."grass fed" is code for tough as hell.

The benefit of grass fed is that it will not come loaded with phosphates and such like pesticides......well, unless the grass happened to be fertilized, or was in the runoff zone of a fertilized field.

My advise?....leave the grass fed crap to the Californians.
USDA does regulate what is considered organic and it takes lots of hoop jumping to obtain that status. The farm has to have soil testing done, have records to prove no spraying has taken place, etc… Grass fed doesn’t always mean organic, but organic will be grass fed if that makes sense.

Reactions: Sunkist