Basketball News/Recruiting Thread

TFB reporting that Dillon Mitchell has entered the portal.

PG Max Abmas, F Dylan Disu, F Brock Cunningham, and W Ithiel Horton were all grad transfers or seniors and will be gone.

Terry trying to hold on to Weaver. Hunter might come back because NBA odds are not good for him.

Shedrick will return.

Texas has offered double-digit players in the portal already.
Wish he would stay but I kind of saw this coming, it was like he regressed this past year. Not sure if it was him or the offense Terry ran.

Reactions: Sirhornsalot
TFB reporting that Dillon Mitchell has entered the portal.

PG Max Abmas, F Dylan Disu, F Brock Cunningham, and W Ithiel Horton were all grad transfers or seniors and will be gone.

Terry trying to hold on to Weaver. Hunter might come back because NBA odds are not good for him.

Shedrick will return.

Texas has offered double-digit players in the portal already.

I'm okay with Mitchell moving on. I'm torn on Hunter, but I'd be okay with him coming back. That said, I won't be surprised if he hits the portal. I don't think Weaver is a threat to leave, but I guess it's always possible.

Thankfully, it looks like the incoming freshmen are solid, especially Tre Johnson:

Reactions: Sunkist
I'm okay with Mitchell moving on. I'm torn on Hunter, but I'd be okay with him coming back. That said, I won't be surprised if he hits the portal. I don't think Weaver is a threat to leave, but I guess it's always possible.

Thankfully, it looks like the incoming freshmen are solid, especially Tre Johnson:

Hopefully Terry can get the right transfer pieces around this stud. Don’t F up his one year on campus.

Reactions: longhorn_mig

Was Mitchell the problem or is it coaching? He was a .9999 five * one and done recruit. The entire '22 recruiting class is gone. I don't care how you slice it or dice it, the turnover on this team is hurting not helping. Things just look off.

Was Mitchell the problem or is it coaching? He was a .9999 five * one and done recruit. The entire '22 recruiting class is gone. I don't care how you slice it or dice it, the turnover on this team is hurting not helping. Things just look off.
Agreed, something does seem to be off. For me, more evidence is that this team was very inconsistent all season. Excellent games were followed by big let downs. Could it be that Coach Terry, like all good coaches, stresses defense first? A lot of players don't buy into that philosophy, especially when they're young. Weaver is an example of one who does, but I don't recall Mitchell being all that defensive-minded. Maybe it's just that Cunningham and Weaver were so good on defense that he didn't stand out much.

Agreed, something does seem to be off. For me, more evidence is that this team was very inconsistent all season. Excellent games were followed by big let downs. Could it be that Coach Terry, like all good coaches, stresses defense first? A lot of players don't buy into that philosophy, especially when they're young. Weaver is an example of one who does, but I don't recall Mitchell being all that defensive-minded. Maybe it's just that Cunningham and Weaver were so good on defense that he didn't stand out much.
Riddle me this.

Why was the previous coach able to get some of the same players to buy into defense?

• #HookEm
Reactions: tejasrulz
Riddle me this.

Why was the previous coach able to get some of the same players to buy into defense?
Because he demanded it. Not sure Coach Terry is as hard-nosed as his predecessor. He seems to be more of a players' coach from what I can tell, but it's just an observation. Nothing wrong with being a players' coach as long as you have the right players.

Reactions: Sirhornsalot
Truth be told, we've never been known as a basketball school for men.

Well, Beard had us moving in the right direction.

I talked to a customer (a Horn) today while evaluating his landscape. He said something I think is a bit true. He said our basketball program is cursed. Every time we think we've got it right, something happens and we don't.

Well, Beard had us moving in the right direction.

I talked to a customer (a Horn) today while evaluating his landscape. He said something I think is a bit true. He said our basketball program is cursed. Every time we think we've got it right, something happens and we don't.
That is Patterson's fault. He was the devil.
Lemons, Weltlich, Penders and Barnes all provided some good seasons and a steady climb in respect.

That is Patters on's fault. He was the devil.
Lemons, Weltlich, Penders and Barnes all provided some good seasons and a steady climb in respect.
I was never very impressed with Weltlich.

I love Lemons at press conferences. You knew he would throw a curve, you just didn't know when. lol

Penders played a fun brand of ball and I think, did a lot to expand the appeal of basketball at Texas.

Barnes teams would race out to a great first 18 games and then hit a wall. It was uncanny.

That is Patterson's fault. He was the devil.
Patterson was the worst thing to ever happen to Longhorn sports. I’m not sure where he went, but I’m sure they sucked immediately after.
Whoever hired that POS should be held responsible.
So glad we got an AD now that knows what the hell he is doing.