Basketball News/Recruiting Thread

HornSports Staff

HornSports.com
Oct 20, 2013
USATSI_15399736_168380999_lowres.jpg

Longhorns land their top coaching target in Texas Tech's Chris Beard less than a week after the job became vacant

The University of Texas has hired Texas Tech's Chris Beard as its next basketball coach, according to Stadium's Jeff Goodman.

The hiring of Beard comes less than a week after former UT head coach Shaka Smart left Austin and accepted the same position at Marquette.  Smart's decision to move to Marquette saved the university $7.1 million in buyout money on Smart's contract that spanned through the 2023 season.

Beard, a Texas alumnus, spent the last five seasons in Lubbock.  He led the Red Raiders to an overall 112-55 record, including a spot in the Championship Game in 2019.  During his time in Lubbock he guided his teams to the NCAA Tournament in three out of four opportunities, including an Elite 8 berth in 2018.

Beard began his coaching career as a student assistant under former Texas coach Tom Penders.  After several graduate assistant roles and assistant coaching positions at a handful of schools, Beard became the head coach at McMurry University in Abilene, TX in 2012. His subsequent head coaching positions were at Angelo State and Little Rock before he took over the Texas Tech program in 2016.

April 1st was a key date in Beard's contract at Texas Tech, due to his buyout with the school dropping from $5 million to $4 million on his contract.

Beard was Texas AD Chris Del Conte's top choice to replace Shaka Smart who was at Texas for 6 years and made the NCAA Tournament in just three of those years.  The Longhorns were ousted in the first round in each of those appearances.

We expect an official release from UT soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope he can pick some of the transfer portal, because our roster is going to be slim. 

Reactions: 83Dee
I'm excited about the hire but due to what has happened to our roster, he'll have his work cut out for him.

I'm excited about the hire but due to what has happened to our roster, he'll have his work cut out for him.
Currently, there are over 1,000 basket ball players in the transfer portal.  A couple of them are/were Red Raiders who entered the portal today.

Reactions: Sirhornsalot
1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

iu

Beard’s statement on accepting the job:

“I’m thrilled and excited to be coming back to Austin and back to the Longhorn family,” Beard said. “I can’t express how excited I am for this opportunity and the journey that lies ahead. I want to thank President Hartzell and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte for their trust. It’s time to get to work. Our top priority will be embracing our players as soon as we get to campus, and I look forward to starting this journey together towards our championship goals.”

We will be in good shape if we can a number of these recruits.

Recruits and transfers Chris Beard should prioritize with the Longhorns

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Texas-hires-Chris-Beard-basketball-recruiting-recruits--163337511/#163337511_1
Yo! This is bananas! Jayson Tyson's mother and I are good friends. I was literally just joking with her about him needing to decommit and sign with the good guys. Then I came here and saw this article. NUTS! I absolutely shot this article to her and said make it happen! Lol!