Welcome to the HornSports Forum

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our Texas Longhorns message board community.

SignUp Now!

Non-SEC Football

Senate passes college sports bill.

Here are the changes in the bill that seem most interesting to me.

1 )addition of a "retention fund" allows schools to increase payments directly from the schools from 22.5 million to 49 million. I assume this is separate from NIL.

2) 1 "free" transfer per student athlete. Allows some exceptions, I assume grad transfer and coaching changes, but the article doesn't say what the exceptions are.

3) Restrict coaches from leaving during the season.

4) if a school wants to switch conferences, it needs to first go independent for 3 years. This seems like a big barrier for most schools.

5) 20 team limit on conference size.




I was listening to a podcast on the subject.

One important detail I got wrong is that the new 48 million total eliminates NIL.

That part of the bill is intended to control costs, although player compensation is the only cost being contained, i.e nothing about coaches pay or the facilities arms race.
 
I was listening to a podcast on the subject.

One important detail I got wrong is that the new 48 million total eliminates NIL.

That part of the bill is intended to control costs, although player compensation is the only cost being contained, i.e nothing about coaches pay or the facilities arms race.
ie More lawsuits upcoming.
Not to make this political, but has anyone noticed how many judges think they can direct how the US governs itself?
 
ie More lawsuits upcoming.
Not to make this political, but has anyone noticed how many judges think they can direct how the US governs itself?
I'm no lawyer, but I think this is to create legislation that will prevent future lawsuits.

I assume they are drafting the legislation in a way that they believe will stand up to constitutional challenges. Once passed. I'm sure it will be challenged, but if the legislation is sound those challenges will fail.
 
Back
Top Bottom