Welcome to the HornSports Forum

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our Texas Longhorns message board community.

SignUp Now!

*****GAME THREAD: No. 1 Texas versus Oklahoma*****





Watching Georgia play is something. Say what you will about. Kirby Smart, but that guy can flat out coach and does not tolerate piss poor play. He’s animated. Fiery. In the moment of the game, always in the ear of his players, refs, and probably assistant coaches. And his team responds.
 
The last sentence is nothing more than hyperbole.
It's not at all, lol. Look at the evidence.

The Texas offense currently:
-projects to have its fourth straight year of scoring less points than the previous season.
-it currently has the highest 3-&-out drive rate of any team in the SEC
-Texas is averaging 1.63 points per possession in two SEC games. That mark ranks 103rd in the country.

It’s actually slightly impressive that the numbers could be this awful with as much talent as they have.
 
Okay. I am finally convinced Manning is a good QB, but not a great QB. Going to be interesting to see how Texas fairs the rest of the season.

If Texas misses the playoffs, I hope he is encouraged to move on to the NFL or to another college team.
 
Certainly not an offensive guru but a few things I noticed from other good teams that we don’t do well.

Our mobile QB doesn’t run enough: (Kentucky, Ga, LSU, Bama, OU, gaggie, Mizzou) to name a few teams with mobile QBs who utilize the QB run. It doesn’t have to be a staple but done well or even occasionally, it puts the defense in a bind.
The redzone drive at the end of the half would have been a great time for zone read after Cooper reales off three good runs instead of another up the gut for no gain.

No shallow crossing routes: against zone defenses, shallow crosses help move the sticks. More effective against blitzes than 10 yd puts or comebacks. We didn’t utilize the short , quick passing game enough yesterday. A game plan like we had against the Mich stud dts a couple years back might have slowed Mr. Stone a bit. IMO

Our receivers don’t seem to be good route runners or physical enough to separate. We don’t seem to have anyone except possibly Bishop who can work underneath well.

Joe Decamillis (sp) may have been the reason for better special teams play the year he was here.
 
One thing that baffles me, right before the half Cooper was gashing OU so why did he not get any touches in the 2nd half? Did he get injured again?

Also, mind you that I'm not genius OC or anything, but it seemed like the OU ends were crashing hard inside, wouldn't a little zone read have paid off in that situation?
 
ole Miss, LSU look like losses. Missouri maybe. A&M maybe if they improve.

This Texas team gets its ass handed by Georgia again. Our defense has been upgraded but our offense still blows. No QB development. I feel bad for Arch. Spent a shitload on RBs and can’t run.

Special teams and OL continue to be lackluster and the bad OL year in and out will not let us win a championship
Missouri looking stronger every week.
 
I hear you, but Florida and ATM are continuing to look weaker and weaker. No doubt Missouri has a good team and they will be tough in their place, but the night game in Baton Rouge scares the hell out of me more.
I expect a disastrous outcome for the remaining 7 games as this QB led mediocre offense struggles against any D that has a pulse.
 
You know, when I coached HS I always, I won't say liked here, didn't mind a loss every now and then. It got the attention of the team and they listened more intently instead of arrogance and complacency setting in.

With that said, the onus was on me to make the proper adjustments and get them to buy in. A loss could be a good thing if the coach uses it the right way. After 5 years, I'm not convinced this coaching staff will stop handling the guys with kid gloves on. Work them harder, stop being loyal to a fault and put your best guys forward at any given time. If Smoothers doesn't have it, but Cooper has more juice, then ride Cooper. Same goes for Wingo, Coleman, Mosely, Robertson and yes, Manning.

Now, I should say I coached basketball so it was easier to say I'm riding the hot hand, but I think it could be used here. Hell, OK rode the hot hand of Avant and made an in game adjustment along the OL that worked in the 2nd half.
 
I expect a disastrous outcome for the remaining 7 games as this QB led mediocre offense struggles against any D that has a pulse.
I do not disagree. That last interception should be an eye opener. I saw it, you saw it, everyone saw OK loading the right side for pressure. Arch didn't see it and neither did Robertson to adjust line protection and the result was an INT.

Does Sark not allow Arch to make adjustments? If so, does he not trust him? Any good C would see that and make the proper line adjustments. It feels like Sark calls a play and that is the play that they run regardless. That is a problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom