March Landscapes – the To Do List

My old house had 2 planted real close to each other in the front yard. When they get big, very little sunlight hits the grass so it starts to thin out. You also have the problem of the branches growing into each other, so you end up trimming them a lot. So yes, IMHO, they can be planted to close to each other.

Don't know what your turf is, but Bermuda will not grow under the live oaks. Palisades Zoysia, a beautiful turf, will grow there however. You may need to switch your turf type.

When you have multiple Oaks, you have to water your lawn accordingly, meaning those Oaks are soaking up some water that your grass would otherwise have available. So you must water longer in those zones. Trees get thirsty in the summer and can hog the water.

Don't know what your turf is, but Bermuda will not grow under the live oaks. Palisades Zoysia, a beautiful turf, will grow there however. You may need to switch your turf type.

When you have multiple Oaks, you have to water your lawn accordingly, meaning those Oaks are soaking up some water that your grass would otherwise have available. So you must water longer in those zones. Trees get thirsty in the summer and can hog the water.
It was St Augustine grass and I watered it a lot. It received very little sun because of the canopies of the trees. But since that was my old house, it’s not my problem anymore! 😉

Reactions: Sirhornsalot
My old house had 2 planted real close to each other in the front yard. When they get big, very little sunlight hits the grass so it starts to thin out. You also have the problem of the branches growing into each other, so you end up trimming them a lot. So yes, IMHO, they can be planted to close to each other.
Snovid and the oak wilt killed over a hundred live oaks on my property I thought I would get more pasture grass. Nope three years later and all that will grow in the groves is thistle. I could probably spend the rest of my days spraying thistle. Buy stock in Hi-Yield because I've been buying 2, 4-D in bunches.

Edit. Did yall know they eat thistles in Louisiana?

• Haha
Snovid and the oak wilt killed over a hundred live oaks on my property I thought I would get more pasture grass. Nope three years later and all that will grow in the groves is thistle. I could probably spend the rest of my days spraying thistle. Buy stock in Hi-Yield because I've been buying 2, 4-D in bunches.

Edit. Did yall know they eat thistles in Louisiana?

You should start seeing a come back soon via new sprouting trees in that area.

Went by my old house a couple of days ago and now there is no grass at all in the front yard.

• Sad+
That would tick me off. lol
It is sad in a way since we had that house built and I was proud of how I kept the outside looking. The new owners (there have been 2 now) did not keep the yard up like I did. I had issues when I lived there but I would get the trees trimmed and the canopy raised to try and let some sun in.