The #22 Texas Longhorns (2-1, 0-0) head north to the Texas Panhandle this week to take on the Texas Tech Red Raiders (2-1, 0-0) in the Big 12 opener for both programs. The Longhorns' lone loss was to then-top ranked Alabama in Austin during week 2. The Red Raiders brought a 2-0 record into Raleigh, North Carolina last weekend but fell to #16 North Carolina State. The Longhorns will be the third straight ranked opponent Texas Texas Tech has faced in as many weeks.
The Red Raiders have a new head coach in Joey McGuire, who seems to have things headed in the right direction in Lubbock. Texas Tech will start sophmore quarterback Donovan Smith in place of starter Tyler Shough, who suffered a collarbone injury in the season opening game against Murray State. Smith is a dynamic dual-threat quarterback that has thrown for 786 yards and 7 TD's through three games. He has also thrown five interceptions, all in the last two games and against ranked opponents.
The Texas quarterback situation is similar to that of the Red Raiders, with starter Quinn Ewers still rehabbing a clavicle sprain. Ewers will make the trip to Lubbock and will suit out, however it is still uncertain if he is healthy enough to start or even play. Sophmore Hudson Card will likely get the nod under center when the game gets underway.
Saturday marks the third straight season these teams have opened up conference play against one another and the 63rd straight season in which they have played one another.
- Scouting Report: Texas Tech Red Raiders
- Appeal Denied on DeMarvion Overshown's Targeting Penalty
- Texas - Texas Tech Game in Lubbock Sold Out
- Staff Predictions: Texas vs. Texas Tech
- Key Takeaways from Steve Sarkisian's 9/19 Press Conference
- All Hands On Deck at Tech: Quinn Ewers to Suit Up, Murphy to Make the Trip to Lubbock
- DISCUSS THE TEXAS vs. TEXAS TECH GAME HERE