Jan 30, 2023; Austin, Texas, USA; Texas Longhorns guard Sir'Jabari Rice (10) reacts after a victory over the Baylor Bears at Moody Center. Mandatory Credit: Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports
Interim Head Coach Rodney Terry improved his record to 11-3 on the season on Monday night as the 10th ranked Texas Longhorns (18-4, 7-2) defeated a red hot #11 Baylor (16-6, 5-4) team 76-71 at Moody Center.
Grad transfer Sir'Jabari Rice led the Longhorns in scoring, with 15 of his 21 points coming in the second half, including four three-pointers. The Longhorns took a 38-36 lead into the half, shooting 53.8% from the floor to Baylor's 38.9%. While Texas held the lead for most of the game, Baylor kept it close in the second half, climbing within one point of Texas (72-71) with :50 left on the game clock.
A clutch jumper by Marcus Carr and two free throws by Sir'Jabari Rice after being fouled by Flo Thamba (fouled out) extended the Longhorns' lead 76-71 with :15 left.
Adam Flager's missed 3-pointer was rebounded by Rice, who was able to run out the clock and seal the Longhorns' victory.
The Longhorns are now 4-0 in games against Top 20 opponents at Moody Center this season.
- Texas snapped a six game skid to the Bears with the victory on Monday night
- The Longhorns' bench players outscored Baylor's 30-6
- Timmy Allen contributed 18 points (13th time in double digits this season)
- Tyrese Hunter had 13 points and 3 steals in the win
- Texas improved to 7-2 in Big 12 play, their best start since the 2013-2014 season
- With the Longhorns' win and Iowa State's loss to Texas Tech, the Longhorns sit in first place in the Big 12, half a game ahead of Kansas State
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.