Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From the "WTF File," it seems that an Austin City Councilman is messing with the fabric of Texas BBQ.  This has got to be the most proposterous thing I've ever heard of.  Seriously, what is wrong with people these days?  BBQ has been around since the dawn of time in Texas.  Smoke from fires has been around since the cavemen.  Sheesh.  :angry:

If you'd like to respond directly to the councilman, his Twitter feed is @d3forpio or https://twitter.com/d3forpio

Barbecue Master Aaron Franklin Slams Proposed City Smoke Limits

by Meghan McCarron and Nadia Chaudhury Mar 30, 2015, 9:38a 10 Comments

Photo_Jul_07__7_03_19_PM.0.0.jpg

Requiring smoke scrubbers could force Franklin Barbecue to shutter.

A proposed city council resolution could threaten Austin's continued status as an international destination for Texas barbecue. District 3 council member Sabino "Pio" Renteria is spearheading a code change to limit barbecue smoke in residential areas, as reported by KUT. Pitmaster Aaron Franklin tells Eater if such a code were to pass, it could force Franklin Barbecue and many other barbecue joints in Austin to go out of business.

The proposed code change would require any restaurant or food truck using "a wood or charcoal burning stove or grill" within one hundred and fifty feet of residential zoning to install an exhaust system known as smoke scrubbers. Franklin estimates the cost of such a system would run between $15,000 and $20,000, which he says is not an option for even his hyper-successful business. "Cost aside, the barbecue would not be the same—it would modify how the cooker smokes," Franklin says. "If this resolution passes, we would be forced to close or move. It would destroy Austin barbecue."

Franklin acknowledges barbecue businesses need to be good neighbors, but says the smoker scrubbers are a wrong-headed solution. "A good, clean fire doesn't smell bad. It's the byproducts of an incomplete combustion that smells bad. A hot fire would fix those problems, and scrubbers wouldn't eliminate the smell of burning wood." Franklin also notes he carefully vetted his restaurant's new smokehouse with all of his neighbors, and says he received nothing but enthusiastic support.

Renteria's proposed code change is intended to address complaints by neighbors of "thick smoke" and oppressive smells. The District 3 rep told KUT:

"People cannot even open their windows without having their house smelling like barbecue," he says. "Whatever they're barbecuing out there, when they start their fire, it's really thick smoke. No one wants it."

Earlier this year, Bouldin Creek residents were bothered by the smoke from Terry Black's Barbecue. Because of that, co-owner Michael Black tells Eater that they were looking into smoke scrubbers before the announced potential code amendment. "We’ve already put in $10,000 in modifications," he says, "to make the pits more efficient and burn less wood," which also resulted in less smoke time. "The TECQ [Texas Commission on Environmental Quality] has come out and done air quality readings right next to our pits," he adds, "and we’re well below their lowest level for concern." However, he further explains, "The neighbors have told us that they don't want smoke reduction, they want smoke abatement, so there is where the problem arises."

The agenda item for council to take up on April 2 would only initiate the process of amending the code; the City Manager would then have to propose the full ordinance to council "no later than May 21, 2015." Eater has reached out to council member Renteria as well as other local barbecue restaurants for further comments. Watch this space for further updates.

So now it's move your pit to at least 100 feet away from the neighbor, or else get a smoke scrubber.  Before it was 150 feet.

Seems a bit ludicrous all the way around.  Here's a thought, you don't like BBQ smoke, move. Ha! 

And Tejas, I don't doubt that Pio is a decent guy, but geez, is it too much to ask to use a little common sense before you go writing up resolutions all willy-nilly? 

Lived above an Indian couple for a year in a Dallas apartment, smelled Curry all day and night long! I don't mind a little Curry, but all day every F'ing day! Even something great can be overkill. I have seen the news reports and video of the BBQ issues in Austin, restaurants opening close to older residential areas is happening. Wouldn't want to deal with smoke daily, but maybe they can offer up free daily BBQ...problem solved!

BBQ smoke is a delightful scent.  No surprise abut the Austin wacko's turning on those who previously defined the town.

I recommend they all move out on Hwy 71 West.  The customers will come. 

Considering the 183'ing of all the development and new traffic lights to date, we might as well have more good BBQ joints to see what they are worth against RO's, Willies, Opie's and others established here.  Good food is a lot better than more stop lights.

This quote from Renteria explains what exactly is wrong with politicians....and a lot of other people....now a days.  Common sense and critical thinking have gone out the window for political correctness and meandering to a few constituents.  I have no problem with people wanting to fix a problem that may arise, but before you propose something, think about the 2nd and 3rd order effects it will have and how a solution may be created to remedy a problem without creating more problems for other people.  Limit the 2nd and 3rd order effects with your solution, don't create more problems just to be politically correct, alienating thousands of people to appease 20 or 30.

It didn’t even cross my mind†that it would apply to long-standing barbecue restaurants that have not generated complaints, Renteria said. - See more at: http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2015/03/renteria-making-changes-barbecue-proposal/#sthash.q2YqFUPl.dpuf

I would buy a flag like that for my Man Pit in a heartbeat.

This quote from Renteria explains what exactly is wrong with politicians....and a lot of other people....now a days.  Common sense and critical thinking have gone out the window for political correctness and meandering to a few constituents.  I have no problem with people wanting to fix a problem that may arise, but before you propose something, think about the 2nd and 3rd order effects it will have and how a solution may be created to remedy a problem without creating more problems for other people.  Limit the 2nd and 3rd order effects with your solution, don't create more problems just to be politically correct, alienating thousands of people to appease 20 or 30.

It didn’t even cross my mind” that it would apply to long-standing barbecue restaurants that have not generated complaints, Renteria said. - See more at: http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2015/03/renteria-making-changes-barbecue-proposal/#sthash.q2YqFUPl.dpuf

How would you propose a city-wide resolution and NOT think it would apply in an all-encompassing way, when YOU didn't initially write it up to be specific to a certain area or certain business owners? 

Wow. 

This quote from Renteria explains what exactly is wrong with politicians....and a lot of other people....now a days.  Common sense and critical thinking have gone out the window for political correctness and PANDERING to a few constituents.  I have no problem with people wanting to fix a problem that may arise, but before you propose something, think about the 2nd and 3rd order effects it will have and how a solution may be created to remedy a problem without creating more problems for other people.  Limit the 2nd and 3rd order effects with your solution, don't create more problems just to be politically correct, alienating thousands of people to appease 20 or 30.

It didn’t even cross my mind†that it would apply to long-standing barbecue restaurants that have not generated complaints, Renteria said. - See more at: http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2015/03/renteria-making-changes-barbecue-proposal/#sthash.q2YqFUPl.dpuf

fify  :)  You were close.  "Let's meander, Oh Leander..."  (Leander HS fight song)

FWIW I totally agree with you.  It's like "let's create a problem so we can find a solution".  You can fix fat with dieting, but there is nothing you can do about stupid.

By-the-way, thank you for your service.

fify  :)  You were close.  "Let's meander, Oh Leander..."  (Leander HS fight song)

FWIW I totally agree with you.  It's like "let's create a problem so we can find a solution".  You can fix fat with dieting, but there is nothing you can do about stupid.

By-the-way, thank you for your service.

Thanks for the edit doc.  And along those lines, here's a keep calm in regards to what you can't fix...also may apply to an old poster that we haven't heard from in a while.

post-5612-0-52814100-1427912367_thumb.jpg

Lived above an Indian couple for a year in a Dallas apartment, smelled Curry all day and night long! I don't mind a little Curry, but all day every F'ing day! Even something great can be overkill. I have seen the news reports and video of the BBQ issues in Austin, restaurants opening close to older residential areas is happening. Wouldn't want to deal with smoke daily, but maybe they can offer up free daily BBQ...problem solved!

I'm in a similar situation in Valley Ranch (Irving, TX; a suburb of Dallas) now regarding the curry smell...and I feel your pain...