Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steve Patterson's LBB - replacing Rick Barnes

Matt Cotcher

well, if he had a guy in mind looks like he didn't close the deal for whatever reason.

Post this again once Smart has turned the job down. Until then it looks like Patterson has made a smart decision. Patterson just needs to learn how to fire an employee, instead of the old you can keep your job if you fire your assistants deal.

Post this again once Smart has turned the job down. Until then it looks like Patterson has made a smart decision. Patterson just needs to learn how to fire an employee, instead of the old you can keep your job if you fire your assistants deal.

according to Seth Davis we've also had contact with jay wright and tone bennet. Assuming marshall and smart have also been contacted it doesn't appear Steve has had his man all along.

I have a feeling Patterson is digging deep into candidates background and this is what is "taking so long". You have to think he knew it was possible he would have to let Barnes go, so he was already thinking about "who?" He also doesn't want to be embarrassed by a coach who may have skeletons like a falsified resume, etc. It's a mess an institution like Texas would want to avoid.

Maybe he had names in his head and is vetting the more sincere candidates deeply. I'm guess I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. Why couldn't the search take a week or 10 days, even if he's zeroed in on someone already?

I'll end this with the usual "what the hell do I know?" cuz I'm spitballin this entire post.

I have a feeling Patterson is digging deep into candidates background and this is what is "taking so long". You have to think he knew it was possible he would have to let Barnes go, so he was already thinking about "who?" He also doesn't want to be embarrassed by a coach who may have skeletons like a falsified resume, etc. It's a mess an institution like Texas would want to avoid.

Maybe he had names in his head and is vetting the more sincere candidates deeply. I'm guess I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. Why couldn't the search take a week or 10 days, even if he's zeroed in on someone already?

I'll end this with the usual "what the hell do I know?" cuz I'm spitballin this entire post.

and that's not an unreasonable guess. to me it would be smart to list 4 or 5 guys and pinpoint there interest or lack thereof. but some here suggested he 'had his man' before Rick was let go and i say if he did, his man must have got away or it wouldn't take this long.