Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coach has been good for the University... I know he's had a rough couple years and I know there have been a few wanting a change.... My question to the board....

If you had to put a percentage on his chance of returning..... And a list of replacement possibilities....

Where would you fall?

I give it

50/50 and a list of

1. Shaka Smart

2. Brad Stevens

My first choice..... Izzo

Coach has been good for the University... I know he's had a rough couple years and I know there have been a few wanting a change.... My question to the board....

If you had to put a percentage on his chance of returning..... And a list of replacement possibilities....

Where would you fall?

I give it

50/50 and a list of

1. Shaka Smart

2. Brad Stevens

My first choice..... Izzo

Good question, tough answer.

Charlie Strong was a Patterson idea. That was out of nowhere. I expect we'll see something similar happen with Patterson's next pick.

I give Barnes 75-25 going. I'm not sure Barnes doesn't just step down though. But this writing has been on the wall for awhile. Only difference is Patterson is in the picture now.

I have it at 90/10 odds that Barnes is gone. I would be surprised if we were able to hire a big named coach such as Izzo or Donavan. My guess is that it will be a successful coach at a smaller program.

My ideal hire if we couldn't get a big name coach is Brad Stevens. It would be great if he didn't like the NBA and wanted to come back to college. Everything I've read and heard about Stevens is that he is a great coach and he's only 38. An article at ESPN states that Stevens should be NBA coach of the year for job that he's done with the Celtics this year.

I don't believe Coach Barnes will be fired.... Too much respect for his contribution to the university. He brought us to the national level, he's just been unable to finish the task. I wouldn't be surprised to see him step down..... After some closed door talks..... He may get another year however...... That's why I rated it at 50/50.,,,,

Coach Rick Barnes got UT into the NCAA final playoff field of 64 almost every year he has been at UT.

That's a GOOD job. He coached UT into the Sweet 16 several times...that's a REALLY GOOD job. He 

coached UT into the Final Four once, that was a GREAT job. But...he hasn't coached UT into much in

the last 7 years. Even though UT isn't known as a "basketball" school...UT Alumni...considering the vast

resources available to the University...and the best facilities...expect the University of Texas to be the

nation's best at every sport. UT is a rich university and it is expected among the alumni...to win and be

the best. At everything, at every sporting competition. 

It's not realistic and maybe not fair, but that's the way it is. As a proud UT grad, I don't want it any other

way. 

Barnes has done a great deal for this program. He has, at the least, brought us into national consideration, and earned UT a measure of respect in the basketball community. He has also brought many more fans to the University, and has generally recruited well.

Coach Barnes has also been a positive role model for many student athletes, and I have never heard a whisper of scandal surrounding his name, while programs across the country have been splashed across the front page for outrageous reasons. That doesn't mean that I believe he should remain as coach, but I believe he will do what is best for the program.

For whatever reason, I think it is time for a change. Patterson and Barnes need to get together and discuss the options. They should come to an agreement. Barnes has been a great asset to the University, and I do not believe we will see any melodrama when he leaves his post.

Hook 'em

To me, Barnes' best quality has been the NBA lottery picks has has scattered throughout the league.

I take more pride in our program while watching KD and LMA today than I do the memory of making the Elite 8 in 2006.

But this raises the question of what did Barnes do with those lottery picks?  the answer is not much most of the years.

NBA Lottery Picks

Tristan Thompson (4th pick in 2011) -- 2010-11 (4 seed): one and done

D.J. Augustin (9th pick in 2008) -- 2006-07 (4 seed): one and done; 2007-08 (2 seed): made Elite 8

Kevin Durant (2nd pick in 2007) -- 2006-07 (4 seed): one and done

LaMarcus Aldridge (2nd pick in 2006) -- 2004-05 (8 seed): lost 1st round; 2005-06 (2 seed): made Elite 8

T.J. Ford (8th pick in 2003) -- 2001-02 (6 seed): lost 3rd round; 2002-03 (1 seed): made Final 4

Chris Mihm (Penders' recruit) -- (7th pick 2000) -- 1998-99 (7 seed): lost 1st round; 1999-00 (5 seed): one and done

While I suppose you could argue this is subject to interpretation, what I see is too much failure with those superior players.

Barnes has also had several other first round NBA picks outside the lottery, plus a couple of 2nd rounders who had nice NBA careers --

Jordan Hamilton (1.26 in 2011) -- 2009-10 (8 seed): lost 1st round; 2010-11 (4 seed): one and done

Cory Joseph (1.29 in 2011) -- 2010-11 (4 seed): one and done

Avery Bradley (1.19 in 2010) -- 2009-10 (8 seed): lost 1st round

Damion James (1.24 in 2010) -- 2006-07 (4 seed)one and done 2007-08 (2 seed)made Elite 8; 2008-09 (7 seed): one and done; 2009-10 (8 seed): lost 1st round

P.J. Tucker (2.5 in 2006) -- 2003-4 (3 seed): lost 3rd round;  2004-05 (8 seed): lost 1st round; 2005-06 (2 seed)made Elite 8

Royal Ivey (2.8 in 2004) -- 2000-01 (6 seed): lost 1st round; 2001-02 (6 seed): lost 3rd round; 2002-03 (1 seed)made Final 4; 2003-04 (2002-3 (3 seed): lost 3rd round.

The most disappointing of Barnes' teams were the high seeds with early exits

2006-7 was a 4 seed that lost its 2nd round game.  This team had 4 NBA draft picks on it, including two lottery picks and a a future NBA MVP.

2010-11 was a 4 seed that lost its 2nd round game.  This team had 3 first round NBA draft picks on it.

I don't believe Coach Barnes will be fired.... Too much respect for his contribution to the university. He brought us to the national level, he's just been unable to finish the task. I wouldn't be surprised to see him step down..... After some closed door talks..... He may get another year however...... That's why I rated it at 50/50.,,,,

They pushed Mack Brown out. I see no difference. But I have no clue about what Patterson will do.

My thought is that we have not had a well coached team for a few years. No offense.

If we want to compete at a higher level, that has got to change.