Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Game 3 recap & post-game quotes

Matt Cotcher

• Administrators
gallery_6706_2_10844.jpg

submitted Today, 04:32 PM in Texas Longhorns Baseball By Matt Cotcher   social_twitter.png @mlcotcher

FINAL: Texas 5 – West Virginia 1

Texas wins series 2-1

The Texas baseball team won their season-opening Big 12 series 2-1 when they secured Sunday’s rubber match over West Virginia, 5-1. Unlike Friday and Saturday’s games, the teams battled to a scoreless tie through five innings before the Longhorns struck for three runs in the home half of the sixth frame. The lead was the first one for Texas in the entire series.

West Virginia answered with a run of their own, a solo homer to right field by Shaun Wood , in the top of the seventh inning, but the Horns responded by scoring two more runs in the bottom half of the frame. Collin Shaw had two hits on the afternoon, adding another double to his season total (13). Shaw also had 2 RBI and scored a run. The only other player with multiple hits was Bret Boswell.

Starting pitcher Chad Hollingsworth battled throughout the game, finishing with 7 IP and only allowing one run on five scattered hits. After the game, Hollingsworth admitted he did not have his best day, saying that only his fastball was controllable. Freshman Kyle Johnston threw the last two innings, allowing only two hits and no walks.

Post-game quotes

med_gallery_6706_2_1462218.jpg

Augie Garrido on winning the first Big 12 series of the year: “It's real important. They're all going to be important because there's going to be a lot of losses in this league this year. I think it'll make us tournament ready because of it. All three of these games were played like championship games, and that's what you need. Yesterday a couple of key pickoffs were big plays that they made. Well, less likely to happen again as a result of seeing that happen. TCU uses the same type of pickoffs from the catcher. The more experiences you have and the better your conference is and the competition within your conference, it's hard to take sometimes, but all of those losses can really build your team strength.”

Augie Garrido on Chad Hollingsworth: “That is what he lives on. Quite honestly he didn't have a breaking ball that he threw for strikes. He was pretty much down to one pitch, but that's what makes him so good. He's not afraid to use that fastball and move it around. He has really good command of it, and he's not afraid of the hitters. He throws it to the mitt, they hit it, and we try to catch it for him.”
med_gallery_6706_2_712364.jpg

Collin Shaw on winning the first Big 12 series: “It's always good to get off to a good start in the Big 12. I don't know if that's happened since I've been here. I think that this might be the first, my freshman year we might have. It's always good to get a good series win, get off to a good start and start building some momentum in league play.”

Collin Shaw on Chad Hollingsworth: “It's awesome, and that's how he is. He's got heart. He's got grit. He's going to battle. He's not afraid to attack even when he doesn't have his best stuff, and that's his best quality. He did an awesome job.”

Collin Shaw on the team’s identity: “We're going to battle. We're going to grind it out. We're going to pitch, play defense, take good at bats and win inning-by-inning, play inning-by-inning.”

med_gallery_6706_2_909742.jpg

Chad Hollingsworth on the win: “It was good. It was a good series for us. The first Big 12 series of the year, came out real competitive. That's what we're going to have to get used to – a really competitive environment. I think that helped us for not only the long haul, but obviously for the first Big 12 series coming out with a series win is pretty big for us.”

Chad Hollingsworth on his pitches: “Yeah, nothing was really working for me. I'm just glad we played defense. It sucks when you get up there and you can't really perform like you want to. I've been really inconsistent with my curveball, so I've got to work on that. To be out there just throwing fastballs and be able to do well, it's pretty good. I felt good. I felt confident. I know our defense is always going to play "D," and I just let them hit it to us. 

• Administrators

Barrera's thoughts: