Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Landscape Thread - March ushers in Spring!

Hi Mark, I need to resod a portion of my front yard. I assume I should treat with weed and feed first, and then lay new sod. How long in between application and laying the sod to the dead areas? Should I till they dead spots (just dirt currently) and should I lay down something under the new sod. Any advice would be great. Also, do you have any knowledge on cleaning limestone masonry on a house? Mold/Mildew stains are present, is bleach safe on limestone or caustic? I figure to clean the spots first with bleach or whatever is appropriate and then power wash the area. Thanks!

NO! Do NOT treat with a weed/feed first. The nitrogen you put down goes to the soil that your sod will sit on. It will burn the sod up.

If you are laying sod, do not put a fertilizer or weed/feed on it for the first 90 days.

I would recommend laying down a thin layer of compost before sodding. If you have black clay soil, lay down some expanded shale then put the sod over the top of that. The more shale you put down, the better it will help your turf. The expanded shale (sold by the bag at places like Calloways or Natural Gardener) will give you moisture retention at the root zone while expansion/contraction properties which keep your black clay from compacting.

I would not bleach the limestone. In fact, I might not even pre-treat with anything. We just finished doing this to a limestone home here in DFW and needed no help other than a power washer. That said, we use nothing less than a 3000 PSI power washer. It will get the job done. Be careful with it though. You run that wand across your toes and you'll lose those toes.

NO! Do NOT treat with a weed/feed first. The nitrogen you put down goes to the soil that your sod will sit on. It will burn the sod up.

If you are laying sod, do not put a fertilizer or weed/feed on it for the first 90 days.

I would recommend laying down a thin layer of compost before sodding. If you have black clay soil, lay down some expanded shale then put the sod over the top of that. The more shale you put down, the better it will help your turf. The expanded shale (sold by the bag at places like Calloways or Natural Gardener) will give you moisture retention at the root zone while expansion/contraction properties which keep your black clay from compacting.

I would not bleach the limestone. In fact, I might not even pre-treat with anything. We just finished doing this to a limestone home here in DFW and needed no help other than a power washer. That said, we use nothing less than a 3000 PSI power washer. It will get the job done. Be careful with it though. You run that wand across your toes and you'll lose those toes.

Thanks for the save Mark, thanks for the advice.