Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Horns land QB for 2016! Mike Roach's scouting report...

HornSports Staff

• Administrators

gallery_2605_2_165792.jpg

submitted 8 hours ago in Recruiting By Mike Roach

With two receivers already committed for the 2016 recruiting class, Texas added a new offensive piece to the puzzle when they received a commitment from Lamar (Arlington, TX) quarterback Shane Buechele on Monday. Buechele chose the Longhorns over offers from Kentucky, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, TCU, and Texas Tech. The son of former Texas Ranger third basemen Steve Buechele, Lamar’s signal caller came onto the scene last season after competing as a junior at the Elite 11 camp in Dallas.

After several years of detrimental quarterback recruiting at Texas, Charlie Strong and Shawn Watson are aggressively pursueing options both in and out of state to correct past mistakes in the program. Texas targeted Buechele early in their evaluations as one of their top options in the state. And although the Buechele family has a history with Oklahoma, that didn’t stop Shane from choosing Texas as his top option.

The status of Matthew Merrick is still undecided. Officially Merrick is set to enroll after a year, but could be offered a chance to come in during the fall with the 2015 class. If that happens, Texas could be looking for a second quarterback in the 2016 class. Buechele currently ranks 30th on the 2016 HornSports top 50.

Film Analysis

Buechele has nearly ideal size at 6’2 185 lbs., with room to add more bulk. Operating Lamar’s spread offense is paying dividends in terms of a high football IQ.

Buechele shows good arm strength, quick decisions, and good accuracy. Additionally Buechele is well coached as demonstrated by great mechanics and footwork.

Despite a quick release and a solid understanding of when to put zip or touch on the ball, the Lamar product does not have the ability to completely take over a game with his legs. Even though he is not an elite runner, he demonstrates good speed and running ability on both designed runs and scrambles. Buechele also shows good leadership skills and is a clear field general who appears to thrive in the mental aspects of the game more than physical ones.

Final Verdict

Like most prospects his age, Buechele still has growth and development ahead of him. Regardless of that potential he is a good first option at quarterback for the 2016 class. I will be interested to see more of him at the Elite 11 camp this year.

While his ceiling isn’t incredibly high, Buechele has a higher basement than most other options. If he reaches his ceiling, he could be a multi-year starter at Texas and mid-to-late round NFL draft pick. 

Great pick up for the good guys. Takes some pressure off the staff early. Good decision maker, nice arm, fiery competitor (like his dad).

I really think the staff wants another QB and I hope it ends up being Tristan Wallace. He's a plus athlete, needs work with his arm but is a playmaker extraordinaire. He can take over a game.

" .... good leadership skills and is a clear field general who appears to thrive in the mental aspects of the game more than physical ones."   Hornsports.com

Those are plus factors for me. Ohio State was down two touchdowns in the first half of the title game, kept cool and evened the game by halftime, maintained that cool and went on to a solid win. With a QB playing in just his third start.

Athleticism only goes so far. Huge part is mental, and not beating yourself with mistakes on big stages.

remember when we used to constantly chuckle about the relationships of the mccoy and shipley families?  the elder mccoy and shipley were roommates at abilene christian and ...........(chuckle, snicker).....;

well, this young man's daddy's roommate at stanford was john f'cking elway.       just sayin'......

any chance he'll try to play both baseball and football at Texas?  he certainly has the genes for it.

Some might think I'm knocking his physical skills by saying he excels more at the mental side but let me clarify. I think Colt was an exceptional athlete, but he was better at composing himself and understanding the game which allowed his athleticism to work. I think the same is true for shane, but I think shane has a better arm.

• Administrators

I really think the staff wants another QB and I hope it ends up being Tristan Wallace. He's a plus athlete, needs work with his arm but is a playmaker extraordinaire. He can take over a game.

Why would the staff want 5 quarterbacks on the roster (or even 6 if they add a transfer) when the prize in 2017 is at QB (Robinson)?

Why would the staff want 5 quarterbacks on the roster (or even 6 if they add a transfer) when the prize in 2017 is at QB (Robinson)?

I've read that CS wants numbers at QB. One of the other sites has said that we will take two QBs if we move Merritt to the 2015 class. Right now we have zero proven college QBs.

The problem in waiting for Robinson in 2017 is that Charlie Strong may not have a job. It didn't work for Mack Brown to clear the roster for Garrett Gilbert. If Robinson doesn't want to come here because the competition  that's a good thing since that means we have a successful QB.

I like the way Charlie Strong's QB recruiting is going.

2014 Jerrod Heard

2015 Kai Locksley, either grad transfer or Merritt

2016 Shane Buechele, either Merritt or anther QB like Wallace

2017 Robinson

i can't believe we've already anointed the king of 2017.  that is a looonnnnngggg time away.

perhaps he just is that gifted, but he's also going to continue to grow, get pressure to change his mind, gain weight, risk injury, get pressure to change his mind, make grades, learn about girls, go to camps, get pressure to change his mind,  get boodles of attention, letters of interest, etc, etc, etc.--and have i previously mentioned--get pressure to change his mind.

lot's can change between now and then, including the anointed one.

this year we saw kids decommitting and recommitting daily.  hell, hourly.  we need to wait a couple of years before we put this one on the stringer.

• Administrators

Regardless of who they want to pursue in 2017, the question still stands: Why would the coaching staff take 2 quarterbacks in 2016?

Most college coaches would say 5 quarterbacks in a four year period is the max number needed on a roster:

2013 - Swoopes

2014 - Heard

2015 - Locksley

2016 - Buechele

Adding Merrick in '15 or '16 provides that 5th body on the roster, but doesn't cause a roster bubble that will cause problems in the future. I understand the desire to add a transfer for the sake of competition/depth, but that player would likely be aging out in 2016 or 2017.

Adding another quarterback in 2016 seems to force the coaching staff's hand...

- Merrick almost has to be in the 2015 class

- If Merrick is 2015, then a transfer looks unlikely. 5 quarterbacks in a two year period is too many.

How can 'his ceiling isn't incredibly high' and 'he can be a multi year starter at Texas and a mid level NFL draft pick' both be true?

Well when I talk about ceiling I factor in NFL. The incredibly high ceiling guys are the types that can contend for the heisman and be a top round pick. There are some outliers to this, Colt had a fantastic college career but his ceiling was always a mid round pick. I kinda see this guy as the same. Now I've had a lot of internal conflict as to if I should be factoring the NFL projection in when most on this site are worried only about his college ceiling. It's also worth noting the dynamics of QB selection in the NFL is changing. Basically what I was saying is I think he's a very good player with a lower ceiling than others but a higher floor. Examples of very high ceilings are the guys with crazy tools but the probability of those guys reaching those ceilings is less. I need to see more of Buechele too. Didn't get to see a lot of him at Elite 11 last year and I'll get the chance to see some games since he plays right down the street from me.

As far as Shawn Robinson goes I can say he's a special kind of talent. He's further along at this stage than Jerrod Heard was at Guyer. If he were one year older he'd be a top 3 player in state. That kid is an absolute stud.

i can't believe we've already anointed the king of 2017.  that is a looonnnnngggg time away.

perhaps he just is that gifted, but he's also going to continue to grow, get pressure to change his mind, gain weight, risk injury, get pressure to change his mind, make grades, learn about girls, go to camps, get pressure to change his mind,  get boodles of attention, letters of interest, etc, etc, etc.--and have i previously mentioned--get pressure to change his mind.

lot's can change between now and then, including the anointed one.

this year we saw kids decommitting and recommitting daily.  hell, hourly.  we need to wait a couple of years before we put this one on the stringer.

It's not the fans that anointed Robinson the king of 2017, it was Charlie Strong and Shawn Watson. They did that last July when they made him an offer to come to UT.

Robinson's dad is a highly respected coach on staff at Guyer. I've had the pleasure of knowing him for a while as two of my very good friends worked for him in Fort Worth. Shawn has been a monster athlete from a young age. Even knowing that my jaw dropped the 4 times I saw him play last season. He is a special kid and a special talent. Dynamic dual threat who is extremely advanced in the passing department. If Charlie and Watson can find some success on offense this year and show a more open style the horns sit in good position. The competition will be Ole Miss and Ohio State, especially Ohio State.

Robinson's dad is a highly respected coach on staff at Guyer. I've had the pleasure of knowing him for a while as two of my very good friends worked for him in Fort Worth. Shawn has been a monster athlete from a young age. Even knowing that my jaw dropped the 4 times I saw him play last season. He is a special kid and a special talent. Dynamic dual threat who is extremely advanced in the passing department. If Charlie and Watson can find some success on offense this year and show a more open style the horns sit in good position. The competition will be Ole Miss and Ohio State, especially Ohio State.

huh?     precisely my point.  he's a commit but we've got competition?  

THAT is precisely my exact point.  to defer taking quarterbacks in 2016 because we have a commit for 2017 is fools gold.

commitments are nothing more than an interest indicator these days.  we hope he honors it if he's as good as advertised, but to pass on other qbs because he's "committed" for 2017doesn't work for me.

if he had committed to OSU or Oklahoma or Alabama we'd still pursue him, so if he's committed to us, you'd better believe the phone calls ain't gonna stop just because he gave us a warm fuzzy earlier this year.

Regardless of who they want to pursue in 2017, the question still stands: Why would the coaching staff take 2 quarterbacks in 2016?

Most college coaches would say 5 quarterbacks in a four year period is the max number needed on a roster:

2013 - Swoopes

2014 - Heard

2015 - Locksley

2016 - Buechele

Adding Merrick in '15 or '16 provides that 5th body on the roster, but doesn't cause a roster bubble that will cause problems in the future. I understand the desire to add a transfer for the sake of competition/depth, but that player would likely be aging out in 2016 or 2017.

Adding another quarterback in 2016 seems to force the coaching staff's hand...

- Merrick almost has to be in the 2015 class

- If Merrick is 2015, then a transfer looks unlikely. 5 quarterbacks in a two year period is too many.

Because you don't have a proven QB and until you do, you keep searching.

I read all the stuff in Burnt Ends about Swopes. The first thought in my mind was "we've been here before." He is not an unknown. During the course of a season where he KNEW he would not be replaced – his play declined rather than improved. The last quote I read from him though indicated he was laying that on the OL's feet.

So it doesn't matter to me how fast, how stylish, or how quick Swopes becomes. He's a project TE that hasn't begun, IMO.

So you really don't have five QBs. You have four. None of the four have taken a D1 snap. And the one thing we can say with some certainty is that it is now unlikely in this day for one QB to last an entire season. So you need at least two high quality QBs where there is little drop in performance should one go down.

I've heard nothing promising regarding a graduate transfer. If we're not going to do it, I wish the whole idea would just go away and let's play with the cards that were dealt to us.

huh? precisely my point. he's a commit but we've got competition?

THAT is precisely my exact point. to defer taking quarterbacks in 2016 because we have a commit for 2017 is fools gold.

commitments are nothing more than an interest indicator these days. we hope he honors it if he's as good as advertised, but to pass on other qbs because he's "committed" for 2017doesn't work for me.

if he had committed to OSU or Oklahoma or Alabama we'd still pursue him, so if he's committed to us, you'd better believe the phone calls ain't gonna stop just because he gave us a warm fuzzy earlier this year.

get with it slim. The kid signs in 101 weeks. Unless he doesn't.

Because you don't have a proven QB and until you do, you keep searching.

I read all the stuff in Burnt Ends about Swopes. The first thought in my mind was "we've been here before." He is not an unknown. During the course of a season where he KNEW he would not be replaced – his play declined rather than improved. The last quote I read from him though indicated he was laying that on the OL's feet.

So it doesn't matter to me how fast, how stylish, or how quick Swopes becomes. He's a project TE that hasn't begun, IMO.

So you really don't have five QBs. You have four. None of the four have taken a D1 snap. And the one thing we can say with some certainty is that it is now unlikely in this day for one QB to last an entire season. So you need at least two high quality QBs where there is little drop in performance should one go down.

I've heard nothing promising regarding a graduate transfer. If we're not going to do it, I wish the whole idea would just go away and let's play with the cards that were dealt to us.

Thanks, you've saved me the trouble of posting the same thing. I believe us taking another QB is a reflection of what the coaching staff thinks of Swoopes.