Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kirk Johnson quotes

Aaron Carrara

• Administrators

"Johnathan Gray will be a big mentor for me."

He's ready to get to Austin and do work.

After talking to Kirk last week it is easy to see why the coaches like his off the field character as much as his skills on the field.

He will fit right in with Charlie and company.

"Johnathan Gray will be a big mentor for me."

He's ready to get to Austin and do work.

After talking to Kirk last week it is easy to see why the coaches like his off the field character as much as his skills on the field.

He will fit right in with Charlie and company.

because of his early committment, and that of his brother collin as well, these Johson legacy kids have flown under the radar to some extent.  they won't get near the hype of the kid's who string out the recruiting process with "look at me" moments and hat dances and the like. 

these two kids have just quietly said, "we're coming, thanks for the offer".  those are my kind of guys.  solid.

i predict both of these kids are going to be stars, and to some extent, surprises--even though they shouldn't be.  perhaps collin will get some of the hype because of his size, but kirk is a downright stud that is going to be a hellacious running back.

Now for one of my pet peeves.

i will also predict that by the time collin gets here that the biases inherent in the Rivals ratings "gurus" will downgrade him because he's not from the southeast and didn't pledge himself to an SEC team.  he's a 6.0 rated four star now (the highest rating for a four star), but by the time he gets here i'm betting Rivals moves him down the list even though he ought to be moved up.

just sit back and watch it happen.  you heard it here first.

because of his early committment, and that of his brother collin as well, these Johson legacy kids have flown under the radar to some extent.  they won't get near the hype of the kid's who string out the recruiting process with "look at me" moments and hat dances and the like. 

these two kids have just quietly said, "we're coming, thanks for the offer".  those are my kind of guys.  solid.

i predict both of these kids are going to be stars, and to some extent, surprises--even though they shouldn't be.  perhaps collin will get some of the hype because of his size, but kirk is a downright stud that is going to be a hellacious running back.

i will also predict that by the time collin gets here that the biases inherent in the Rivals ratings "gurus" will downgrade him because he's not from the southeast and didn't pledge himself to an SEC team.  he's a 6.0 rated four star now (the highest rating for a four star), but by the time he gets here i'm betting Rivals moves him down the list even though he ought to be moved up.

That is precisely why recruiting star ratings should be somewhat ignored. None of the services see enough of the kids to really tell, and none appear to measure attitude and character.

Here is some background info for those not familiar with their dad's upbringing, which makes me convinced both of these kids have very bright futures. Johnnie (Kirk & Collin's dad) was raised by his mother, who took in ironing for a living and raised If I remember correctly, 17 kids. Sixteen of them went to college. After Johnnie's ten year NFL career, he was mentored in the real estate business by the #1 real estate broker in Southern California. After he'd had enough of that business, he started his own business teaching coaching and leadership. He also wrote an inspirational book, "Says Who?: Things That Can Knock You Off Your Goal And What You Can Do About Them".

That is precisely why recruiting star ratings should be somewhat ignored. None of the services see enough of the kids to really tell, and none appear to measure attitude and character.

I can agree with that. I remember in 2012 when I would check the state rankings (with Mack Brown recruiting out of state was Mack killing himself)  and I was bummed when one of the state's and the nation's top DT Isaiah Golden didn't have any interest in UT. I was even more bummed when the signed with the aggies. Not even two years later Golden is out of football after armed robbery and domestic violence.

Here is some background info for those not familiar with their dad's upbringing, which makes me convinced both of these kids have very bright futures. Johnnie (Kirk & Collin's dad) was raised by his mother, who took in ironing for a living and raised If I remember correctly, 17 kids. Sixteen of them went to college. After Johnnie's ten year NFL career, he was mentored in the real estate business by the #1 real estate broker in Southern California. After he'd had enough of that business, he started his own business teaching coaching and leadership. He also wrote an inspirational book, "Says Who?: Things That Can Knock You Off Your Goal And What You Can Do About Them".

17 kids and SIXTEEN went to college?!?!?!

That is beyond impressive!

My Mom had 7 boys and 6 graduated High School (that is actually an accomplishment on her side of the family sadly). Out of those 6 only 4 of us have attended college. They quadrupled us lol.

i will also predict that by the time collin gets here that the biases inherent in the Rivals ratings "gurus" will downgrade him because he's not from the southeast and didn't pledge himself to an SEC team. he's a 6.0 rated four star now (the highest rating for a four star), but by the time he gets here i'm betting Rivals moves him down the list even though he ought to be moved up.

just sit back and watch it happen. you heard it here first.

In general, I agree with your point.

However... in the case of Colin Johnson... I respectively disagree.

I believe his talent is simply too great to be downgraded.

Of course, this assumes his talent produces results comparable to his Jr. season.

If Colin Johnson does produce results comparable to his Jr. season, then I predict he's more likely to be upgraded, rather than downgraded... despite "the biases inherent in the Rivals ratings 'gurus'."

Again... I believe his talent is simply too great to be downgraded.

Thanks Duke, great revealing info.

As we discussed before, Johnnie Johnson impresses the hell outa me.

In my opinion, due to Johnnie's outstanding talent... and character... his continuing valuable contribution to Texas will not only be felt though his sons' on-field actions, but in the locker room too.

In general, I agree with your point.

However... in the case of Colin Johnson... I respectively disagree.

I believe his talent is simply too great to be downgraded.

Of course, this assumes his talent produces results comparable to his Jr. season.

If Colin Johnson does produce results comparable to his Jr. season, then I predict he's more likely to be upgraded, rather than downgraded... despite "the biases inherent in the Rivals ratings 'gurus'."

Again... I believe his talent is simply too great to be downgraded.

bill-my post was intended to be somewhat cynical and tongue in cheek, but we've seen it happen time and again.  early commits frequently get downgraded by Rivals, especially when they favor schools outside of the SEC's halo.  that's why, of all the ratings services, i have the least regard for them.

i would like to say that i don't pay attention to "star ratings" but we all do, whether we intend to or not.  it's just the nature of the beast.  i don't like it, but i do look.  i guess its like rubber necking a train wreck.

in this case, i'm hoping you're right but betting you're wrong.  the good thing is, we'll get to see it play out, won't we? ;)

• 3 months later...

LOL!  Star ratings.

All you need to know about Rivals, for instance, is they will raise a kid from a 3 star to a four star based on nothing more than being offered by a big time school like Texas or Bama.  The other recruiters do the same thing.

This is why I am so interested in Strong's recruits and how he evaluates them.  Because, bottom line, that is the only measuring stick that counts.

Mack Brown, and his merry band of coaches, recruited off the recruiting sites lists - that they helped pump up themselves.

IMO, he should be a 5-star. People who study that stuff tell me he's off the charts good.

I'm giddy (Is it okay to use that word on a message board?) about both of these brothers. Their athleticism and character just jump off their highlight vidz. I'm curious if Collin can make a catch without someone draped all over him.

fivestar.jpg

I can't remember the last time I was as excited about a recruit reaching campus as I am for Collin. I think Kirk is overlooked as well

It's too bad that Kirk has been overlooked, to some extent, due to the freakish talents of his brother. The press coverage of their HS football was extremely limited, too. But I'm told Kirk is extremely fast, solids hands, plays with high intelligence, . . just a rare combination of the best ingredients wrapped into one back. I'm stoked about Kirk.

It's too bad that Kirk has been overlooked, to some extent, due to the freakish talents of his brother. The press coverage of their HS football was extremely limited, too. But I'm told Kirk is extremely fast, solids hands, plays with high intelligence, . . just a rare combination of the best ingredients wrapped into one back. I'm stoked about Kirk.

I have to say, Kirk Johnson was/is may favorite offensive recruit of the 2015 class. I love watching him run - his balance, vision, and speed; and he's always looking for a way outta trouble... before there's even a sign of trouble!

On top of that, whenever I think about 2016 and his little-big bro's arrival with his own insane skills, I have to be medically treated for abnormally aggrandized goose bumps.