Sign in to follow this  
coolhorn

Traylor is NOT a done deal just yet

KLTV, a Tyler, Texas TV station, says Gilmer head football coach Jeff Traylor did interview Tuesday into the evening for the TE/ST coaching job at UT, but that Traylor has NOT made a decision on taking the job yet, and may not make that decision before Friday.  Here's the story from the Tyler TV station.

http://www.kltv.com/story/28061155/update-jeff-traylor-still-considering-ut-assistant-coaching-job

I don't get these high school coaches interviewing for a UT staff job unless they really want it.

Did McGuire even interview? Perhaps Traylor hasn't been offered yet? What about the Carthage HC, Scott Surratt? Maybe the hold up is Strong hasn't made a decision or gotten UT approval yet? Background checks...whatever.

I don't get these high school coaches interviewing for a UT staff job unless they really want it.

Did McGuire even interview? Perhaps Traylor hasn't been offered yet? What about the Carthage HC, Scott Surratt? Maybe the hold up is Strong hasn't made a decision or gotten UT approval yet? Background checks...whatever.

McGuire withdrew from consideration before he was supposed to interview in Austin. Never made the trip.

FWIW - if Bobby Burton is to be believed - neither Haley nor Traylor have been offered a job on Strong's staff, yet.  Both were interviewed, but it doesn't sound like Strong is just handing out offers to anyone identified as a candidate. Haley expects to find out on Friday - and it sounds like Traylor might be in the same situation.

I expect McGuire was never actually offered - though I'm sure Strong reached out to him to gauge his interest and eventually to identify if he'd accept if offered.

Haley and Traylor are just candidates who have interviewed at this point - and Strong has yet to decide if he is going to offer.

A Press Conference @ 9AM Friday- THIS REALLY TURNS ME OFF. Does he think he's a 5 star recruit ??

I disagree Traylor has coached at Gilmer for 15 years and has a 175-26 record with three state championships.

That's the type of success that deserves a press conference to partly celebrate moving to the college ranks and to say goodbye to friends that they have made over the last 15 years.

The press conference for Traylor to announce that he's going to UT is good publicity for Texas which should help with future recruiting. Art Briles turned his HS coaching success into 2 years as running back coach at Texas Tech into a HC job at UH.

Traylor isn't making an announcement. Strong is the one that's making an announcement (which is pretty much the norm). Traylor hasn't done a single thing that's even questionable. I'm sure he went home to tell his family, players and fellow coaches like any responsible person would. Friday seems like a good day to just get both announcements out of the way, I won't be surprised if both the DL and TE coaches are announced tomorrow. 

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011