Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gilmer HC Jeff Traylor Being Interviewed for TE/ST

Hiphopopotamos

Per Scout, via 247, Texas is interviewing Gilmer HC Jeff Traylor for the vacant TE/ST coaching position. I have no idea if this means McGuire turned it down, or if Texas wants to move forward with other candidates while McGuire mulls it over. Traylor has spent 14 years at Gilmer and was/is HC for Texas recruits Kris and Demarco Boyd.

Traylor just recently coached Gilmer to the 4A State Championship.

heheheheheh my cousin in Gilmer just called me about this info just now..which i think will be awesome if he wanted to accept this job even for him being a candidate..he will be a really good one three state championships up under his belt

Coach Traylor is your cousin? Well, tell him the HornSports crew says, "good luck"!

Coach Traylor is your cousin? Well, tell him the HornSports crew says, "good luck"!

:lol:hehehe no Coach Traylor is not my cousin i have a cousin who lives in gilmer..i have two cousins; my first cousin in gladewater and second cousin in  gilmer..I was born and raised in Gilmer. and my second cousin in Gilmer  called me about coach Traylor :) 

:lol:hehehe no Coach Traylor is not my cousin i have a cousin who lives in gilmer..i have two cousins; one in gladewater and one in gilmer..I was born and raised in Gilmer. and my second cousin Gilmer  called me about coach Traylor :)

So Second Cousin Gilmer from Gilmer called you or Second Cousin Gilmer from Gladewater called you!

This is almost a tongue twister :D

I think Traylor would make a nice addition. He has extensive experience with the Spread, also credit him for some highly creative ways of getting the ball into playmakers' hands using variations of the spread combined with other concepts. He's been cutting edge on the HS level.

As far as East Texas recruiting beat, it would be good to hand it to Traylor. A lot of coaches in ET who are not fond of him right now, but only because he beats their butts and does so soundly. They'd be happy to see him in Austin :)  I'd imagine he knows almost every coach in ET.

Traylor isn't exactly known for TE coaching. But, if you apply his knowledge and experience with the will to take on and master challenges, I think you end up with a very good TE coach in him.

I think Traylor would make a nice addition. He has extensive experience with the Spread, also credit him for some highly creative ways of getting the ball into playmakers' hands using variations of the spread combined with other concepts. He's been cutting edge on the HS level.

As far as East Texas recruiting beat, it would be good to hand it to Traylor. A lot of coaches in ET who are not fond of him right now, but only because he beats their butts and does so soundly. They'd be happy to see him in Austin :)  I'd imagine he knows almost every coach in ET.

Traylor isn't exactly known for TE coaching. But, if you apply his knowledge and experience with the will to take on and master challenges, I think you end up with a very good TE coach in him.

Alot of folks in that area accuse Gilmer and Traylor of recruiting.  I believe Blake Lynch left Arp for Gilmer.  I've learned when you have a winning program, people want to be a part of it.  

Also, people get tired of the same team winning all of the time so accusations are voiced.

Alot of folks in that area accuse Gilmer and Traylor of recruiting.  I believe Blake Lynch left Arp for Gilmer.  I've learned when you have a winning program, people want to be a part of it.  

Also, people get tired of the same team winning all of the time so accusations are voiced.

I think that was Troup. That could mean he was avoiding Dennis Alexander as much as it could mean he's recruited to Traylor. lol  Alexander became Troup's HC last spring.

Seriously though, Alexander is not an easy guy to get along with sometimes. There may have been an incident or something that prompted the change.

I think that was Troup. That could mean he was avoiding Dennis Alexander as much as it could mean he's recruited to Traylor. lol  Alexander became Troup's HC last spring.

Seriously though, Alexander is not an easy guy to get along with sometimes. There may have been an incident or something that prompted the change.

The first time I saw Dennis Alexander was in Maverick Stadium in Marshall around 83 or 84.  We were sitting on the Daingerfield side and some kid from Daingerfield made a mistake.  Alexander met the kid before he got to the sideline.  He grabbed his facemask and pulled him to the sideline in front of everyone.  All of the Daingerfield fans around us were screaming "get him coach"!

I still remember that incident.

The first time I saw Dennis Alexander was in Maverick Stadium in Marshall around 83 or 84.  We were sitting on the Daingerfield side and some kid from Daingerfield made a mistake.  Alexander met the kid before he got to the sideline.  He grabbed his facemask and pulled him to the sideline in front of everyone.  All of the Daingerfield fans around us were screaming "get him coach"!

I still remember that incident.

That same thing happened to me. Daingerfield at Kilgore, 1981. Like I said, it's not easy being a QB for him.

He certainly knows his x's and o's. There were times when he was a really nice guy, too.

The game you're referring to is the 46-0 whipping of Kaufman in '83, I believe. That was either a bi-district game or an area finals game, I can't remember. Like you, I was there. Student section, north end.

That same thing happened to me. Daingerfield at Kilgore, 1981. Like I said, it's not easy being a QB for him.

He certainly knows his x's and o's. There were times when he was a really nice guy, too.

The game you're referring to is the 46-0 whipping of Kaufman in '83, I believe. That was either a bi-district game or an area finals game, I can't remember. Like you, I was there. Student section, north end.

Yes, Kaufman.  It was a playoff game.  That was the only time we ever saw Daingerfield play was when the playoffs started. We left in the third because the game was over.

I have always been amazed how Daingerfield could reload those teams over the years.  The last time I saw them play was when Steve Edmond was a Senior.  You couldn't run to the outside against him, too quick.

Yes, Kaufman.  It was a playoff game.  That was the only time we ever saw Daingerfield play was when the playoffs started. We left in the third because the game was over.

I have always been amazed how Daingerfield could reload those teams over the years.  The last time I saw them play was when Steve Edmond was a Senior.  You couldn't run to the outside against him, too quick.

In the fall of '79, I became the first sophomore brought up to the varsity at Daingerfield since it had moved to class 4A. That was about a 10-11 year run in 4A. I played for the last class 4A team at Daingerfield in the fall of '81.

We were low on numbers compared to other teams in our district (Mt P, SSprings, Hallsville, L-E, etc) so my senior year Alexander brought up about 8-9 players from the JV and also a freshman. Most of us chuckled at the thought at first. Then we practiced and played with them. They were good. Very good. They played as hard as we did but what stuck out about them was the amazing talent. We knew there was something good brewing. We had already been told we would move down to class AAA the following year.

Those 8-9 players brought up? Most of them made it to the NFL, all of them play D-1 ball. The freshman ended up at Tulsa. The rest of that group, and the 2-3 groups behind them, were exceptionally talented. Alexander had it all for a few years there. He had 3-4 backs each year who could start for anyone in the state. He had an OL and DL that averaged about 270 (big at the time) per man. He had a secondary that won the state mile relay and each played in either the SWC or Big 8. He had a Jason Whitten-type TE in Steve Stutsman, and a QB who just didn't make mistakes. All the ingredients were there and it all came together at the perfect time.