Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saturday with Uncle Beevomav

beevomav

swbm.jpg

In the imortal words of Mr Longhorn, Matthew McConaughey as David Wooderson: “Man, it’s the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain’t that piece of paper, there’s some other choice they’re gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Randall “Pink” Floyd wants to do, man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they’re gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin’ man, L-I-V-I-N.”

The big news was not that the SEC and the Big XII entered into an agreement to meet in a new bowl game starting in 20014. This is the big news is from SEC commissioner Mike Slive. “This new game will provide a great matchup between the two most successful conferences in the BCS era and will complement the exciting postseason atmosphere created by the new four-team model.” Did he just say the four-team model is a done deal? It sure sounds like it to me.

The announcement is also a direct shot at the biggest a-hole in NCAA sports, the Big X commissioner Jim Delaney. Through all this playoff talk he has been steadfast in his insistence on keeping the Rose Bowl as a private show for his conference and the Big Pac Whatever.

Now the SEC and the Big XII can trump that game with their own game and let the bidding begin. Jerry Jones has already said he wants the game and won’t be outbid. The other favorite is the LA Superdome but putting 100K in Jerry World over the Super Dome would net the conference an additional $3.6 million.

Uncle Bev would love to talk Longhorn baseball but we just got our asses kicked by Baylor. Football, then basketball and now baseball? This is getting old fast.

In UT golf, the men’s golf team is third after the second round of the NCAA Regionals. Jordan Speith shot a course record 66 on Thursday but came in with a 77 on Friday. We finish up tomorrow and the good news is Baylor is not in contention so we have a chance.

Congrats to former Longhorn QB Shannon Kelly. He was named assistant coach for Houston Baptist and will work with the wide receivers. The team will play a limited schedule in 2013 and a full schedule for 2014. Good luck Shannon and Hookem!

Back to Waco where the can do no wrong Bears are in a heated contest for another four star receiver. Robbie Rhodes, Fort Worth Southwest’s four-star wide receiver who won the 200-meter dash at the state track and field meet, anchored a winning 400-meter relay and won silver in an 800-meter relay. He was officially offered by Mack Brown but said it will come down to Texas or Baylor. He wants to be close to home and Waco is closer than than Austin. I hope no one tells him TCU plays in Ft Worth.

Profiled Longhorn of the week.

This week it is Cameron Ridley. The 6-foot-nine Center from George Bush High School in Richmond, Texas is the #6 ranked recruit in the country by Scout.Com. Scout lists his strengths as Area Rebounding, Impact Player and Length. He needs to work on his athleticism and develop counter moves. I also like the kid has a good mid range game and has a hook shot. Welcome to Austin Cameron and hope you stay a while.

Until next week let me leave you with more words of wisdom from “Dazed and Confused.”…. “It was the last day of school in 1976, a time they’d never forget… if only they could remember.”

Edited by beevomav

• Administrators

A classic post from BM. When you can weave Dazed and Confused into any post it is sure to be a winner. Now on to the post at hand...

The playoff is all but a done deal. No official announcement has been made just yet but it is very imminent. This move by the true Power Conferences (SEC & Big 12) told the Rose Bowl proponents to "bend over." I say it is only a matter of days before we hear that Florida State and Clemson join the conference.

Now on to Baylor... I have to tip my hat to the Bears for the success they have experienced the last few years. They have cranked the level of the programs up substantially and the crappy thing is they have outplayed our teams in just about every sport. It is a tragedy for sure but it is temporary.

Favorite UT golfer of all time - Crenshaw with Tom Kite a close 2nd.

Robbie Rhodes is the man. If I could just talk to him I'm sure I could convince him to come to UT.:D

Ridley is a beast of immense proportion. I have seen him play and he is all that and then some. I feel like our team will be better this year than last, even with JCB gone for the NBA (which I do not think he will make unfortunately).

Keep up the great work bro. This guy says hello.

042712-dazed-and-confused.jpg

Kinds words Commander..I am working on finding a format to improve my Saturday post..Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.:cool:

I can also find no hatred for Baylor. They, unlike other schools, have had down years and yet they continue to work what they do. It's hard to find a sport that they don't compete in and in some they are head and shoulder above UT.

I recently entered a contest to attend a Longhorn game and be in Matthew's box. I can bring three friends..You Dude are in..

Edited by beevomav

Another successful Saturday with Beevomav no doubt! I am running off to find my Dave Bliss voodoo doll in hopes of me sticking it to cause temporary suckiness for BU.

Way to work a Dave Bliss reference..good job and hope it works. Those Baptist's Dockers are getting rather large..