Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

---FRIDAY Q&A 1/30/15---

Do you think people are over looking Merrick at the QB position?  I think if he had played on a team like Gilmer or some others then more schools are pursuing him.

After watching his football and basketball highlights, the kid is talented.  You have to question the competition he played in football but he held his own on the basketball court against other AAU teams.   The QB position is hard to project, remember Gilbert.  It takes more than athleticism on the college and NFL level.

If this kid puts in the work in the weight room and film room, I think Texas fans might be surprised. 

In addition, I also question the competition that Locksley played in Maryland. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tough one.    I'll go the cop-out route and have two.    1A. Daylon Mack - It's simple. He's a game changer. With the right guys (Strong and Bedford) he's going to straight up dominate every and a

Do you think people are over looking Merrick at the QB position?  I think if he had played on a team like Gilmer or some others then more schools are pursuing him.   After watching his football and

I agree, its hard to project a QB depending on competition and the level of talent on his team.  I think Merrick shows some very good skill but i think he needs time both physically to get bigger and

That was to denote my support for a Longhorn already existing on the roster vs any other QB we do or do not bring in. 

I support the entire team and the teams quest for success. If a player does not give the TEAM a better chance to win, I would support giving another player on the roster a shot... Best players play, simple.

How do you not understand that fans are drawn more to certain players for whatever reasons? It's a pretty universal concept felt in literally every fan base I have come in contact with. And contrary to your implication, those people can still be steadfast UT Longhorn supporters. 

Well, in your example, you declare your support for someone who has yet to take a single snap. On what basis can anyone other than his position coach, who sees him and his competitors in practice every day, declare him as the best player? Whatever he did in high school does not count.

In all of my years as a fan, I have yet to talk to any other fan whose knowledge and judgment is on par with even the least competent college position coach. I gave up on playing that game years ago, and I can testify to the resulting decease in stress in my life, worrying over tiny details that have nothing at all to do with me.

I don't mean any of this as a personal attack. I'm just trying to share some of what I have learned in my 53 years of following the Horns. All of these young men have to have a healthy ego to survive in college football. I just feel that it is important that we as fans don't let our own egos get tangled up in depth charts and such. It's a losing battle. 

Do you think people are over looking Merrick at the QB position?  I think if he had played on a team like Gilmer or some others then more schools are pursuing him.

After watching his football and basketball highlights, the kid is talented.  You have to question the competition he played in football but he held his own on the basketball court against other AAU teams.   The QB position is hard to project, remember Gilbert.  It takes more than athleticism on the college and NFL level.

If this kid puts in the work in the weight room and film room, I think Texas fans might be surprised. 

I agree, its hard to project a QB depending on competition and the level of talent on his team. 

I think Merrick shows some very good skill but i think he needs time both physically to get bigger and stronger and with mechanics. I also feel, 98% of QBs should be redshirted. Having Merrick come in a year later and RS will give him 2 years more to develop and then a year on the bench would be ideal b4 he is ready. But that that point, assuming he works hard those 3 years, he has the potential to be a very good QB. 

Texas needs depth and someone other than Heard that can play this August. Swoopes is a better #3 QB in my book. I think Kai definitely needs to Redshirt. I don't think he is ready at all. Better than TS last year but thats bc Kai is a coaches son and a bit more mentally strong, or so it appears to be from his interview. TS doesn't have the killer drive to win/lead/go get it/swag/"it." Texas needs someone to really push Heard as a starter vs ND. 

Absolutely. The kid can play. If not Texas wouldn't be giving him a chance. He'll hit the weight room. He'll live in the film room. He'll make others around him better. 

Could you please explain, best you can, how so many schools seem to be able to find multiple legit QB's and we have gone through so long without a good QB(Ash, Mccoy, Swoopes)? Baylor stocks up, FSU packs them in, OSU has 3 damn starters on roster... What is our problem? What is the rational for GOOD QB's signing with schools already loaded at the position?

For the record Im a Heard supporter!

Some of it had to do with how Mack and his staff evaluated QBs toward the end. 

You bring up Baylor - Pass happy offense that has some studs at WR. Texas hasn't had that. 

FSU - The recent run they've had/still having. Texas don't have that. 

tOSU - Not to sure they even knew what they had until it became time to find out. Urban Meye + Tom Herman. Texas hasn't had that. 

Sounds like we're talking to JW Ketchum. You hearing anything?

Could be. Some of the staff are following him on social media. He took his official to Baylor last weekend. Maybe he didn't like what he was told? With Stidham now going there that changes some things up I'm sure. 

All of it might be to late though but how can you count out Strong and what he's done in the past month or so?

Could be. Some of the staff are following him on social media. He took his official to Baylor last weekend. Maybe he didn't like what he was told? With Stidham now going there that changes some things up I'm sure. 

All of it might be to late though but how can you count out Strong and what he's done in the past month or so?

JWK and Holton Hill are close friends. That might have some influence.

Could you please explain, best you can, how so many schools seem to be able to find multiple legit QB's and we have gone through so long without a good QB(Ash, Mccoy, Swoopes)? Baylor stocks up, FSU packs them in, OSU has 3 damn starters on roster... What is our problem? What is the rational for GOOD QB's signing with schools already loaded at the position?

For the record Im a Heard supporter!

It's easy. They have a system and they have stuck to it. How many different ideas/directions has the UT offense gone the last few years? They show stability and it draws the recruits to it. This is an area that Strong has shit the bed to me so far. Screw what you did at UL, run an offense that suits the kind of skill position players that this state produces and makes getting a QB a lot easier. Stidham should have been our #1 focus and we NEVER were in it for him.

Absolutely. The kid can play. If not Texas wouldn't be giving him a chance. He'll hit the weight room. He'll live in the film room. He'll make others around him better. 

The Merrick - Colt McCoy comparison is an interesting one.

Colt was a marginal 3* talent coming out of tiny 2A Tuscola Jim Ned. Merrick is probably further along in his development because his family can afford private QB coaching from Kevin Murray. Although Colt's daddy, Brad, was a good small town HS coach.

It's gonna be fun to see how Matt develops!

Well, in your example, you declare your support for someone who has yet to take a single snap. On what basis can anyone other than his position coach, who sees him and his competitors in practice every day, declare him as the best player? Whatever he did in high school does not count.

In all of my years as a fan, I have yet to talk to any other fan whose knowledge and judgment is on par with even the least competent college position coach. I gave up on playing that game years ago, and I can testify to the resulting decease in stress in my life, worrying over tiny details that have nothing at all to do with me.

I don't mean any of this as a personal attack. I'm just trying to share some of what I have learned in my 53 years of following the Horns. All of these young men have to have a healthy ego to survive in college football. I just feel that it is important that we as fans don't let our own egos get tangled up in depth charts and such. It's a losing battle. 

Yes, I am in fact in full support of a kid that has yet to take a game snap in college. That is based on seeing Swoopes take a whole season worth of snaps and determining, IMO, that Heard def needs to get his shot immediately. I don’t make that statement based on field play. I base it on the things said about Heard as a leader and as a person. I base that on following his Twitter and getting a feel for the kid, for what that’s worth. I base that on the fact he has been a legit winner at the levels he has played. While that may only be HS ball, he was still a winner there. While I will agree to an extent that what he achieved in HS doesn’t count, the things that were built into him in HS do count. All that said… My original comment was directed at supporting Heard over Murray(a guy I never thought was coming anyways).

hahaha... I did not declare him the best player. I purely said I supported seeing him get a shot, immediately. I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but this is a board... Most people on this board aren’t qualified to make the assessments or statements they make, yet they do. Id venture to say this board would be a great deal less interesting if members didn’t have their own opinions and share them. You’re right, the coaches are in the best position to judge him. But after watching a year of Swoopes, Swoopes is not the answer.

Again I get that most of us are unqualified to make assessments of players, coaches and the like... But I do follow UT football very closely and still enjoy healthy debates and discussions based on the very things that most of us are unqualified to debate firsthand. I am sure I will reach the point you have that you have that has allowed you to relinquish some of the grip the program has on you... I’m not quite there. hahaha For better or for worse. I apologize if my response was a bit more pointed than required. As most I respond rather aggressively when it appears my allegiance is being challenged. There are few things that I care about as much as Longhorn football/the program. It was this or drug addiction… I chose the most addictive.

Some of it had to do with how Mack and his staff evaluated QBs toward the end. 

You bring up Baylor - Pass happy offense that has some studs at WR. Texas hasn't had that. 

FSU - The recent run they've had/still having. Texas don't have that. 

tOSU - Not to sure they even knew what they had until it became time to find out. Urban Meye + Tom Herman. Texas hasn't had that. 

I only mentioned those 3 schools because they came to mind at the time... There are a many other schools that have solid QB play, whether game managers or studs.

Question: Do you see our QB evaluation getting better? From the guys that we are looking at, talent wise, does it appear that we are looking in the right places and pursing guys that have legitimate potential to contribute to winning? Guys that play vs solid competition and still succeed. Guys that show the intangibles that you want in a QB. Guys that flat out perform. Looking back at Swoopes' HS career it appears that we were looking in the absolute wrong place. I say that based on the competition he played against and the successes he saw.

Thanks.