Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ryan Newsome - It's UCLA!!

Mike Garland

When he took so much time and was visibly conflicted, it seemed apparent that UCLA was his preference. 

The Bruins get a good one.

Like the kid and his ability, but I hope he makes more definitive decisions when he is running his routes.  That was really weird to watch. 

When he took so much time and was visibly conflicted, it seemed apparent that UCLA was his preference. 

The Bruins get a good one.

His mom looked absolutely upset and i do mean upset..and he looked uncertain...i guess he wanted to get this over wight and still wasnt sure..

Sounds like it was one of those situations where the family wanted him to stay close, but in his heart, he wanted to go to UCLA. That love for his family probably created a lot of internal conflict, which is probably what we saw at his announcement. Good for him for following his heart and best of luck to him.

and big props as well to him for doing what he feel its best for him...and i think in his mindset he is going to college not his family...and his family should be proud of him hes getting a free education and everything and he is representing Texas in another way though in the PAC 10

UCLA. Like I said last night, I don't think we ever recruited the kid hard. I always felt like this was a feeler recruitment in case we missed out on other WRs. 

From Scout: 

This decision is important for one big reason and that’s the timing. It allows Texas to continue to press forward with Lodge, Burt, Reed and Strickland. The original number to start was 2 -3 WR’s and they are going to take one more WR for sure so this is about numbers. Ryan is a great kid but there is a sigh of relief right now imo that gives Texas some more room with other players on the board.

Charlie has an in-home with Newsome that he did not take prior to Newsome's announcement. I think that says a lot right there.

If by chance we whiff on some other WRs, Charlie, could, conceivably, use the in-home to create a late flip. You can tell by the difficulty Newsome had today that it would not be hard for Charlie to do.

Charlie is a smart guy.

Charlie has an in-home with Newsome that he did not take prior to Newsome's announcement. I think that says a lot right there.

If by chance we whiff on some other WRs, Charlie, could, conceivably, use the in-home to create a late flip. You can tell by the difficulty Newsome had today that it would not be hard for Charlie to do.

Charlie is a smart guy.

Mama likes Charlie. It seems like most of 'em do. He's a charmer.

Norvell's recruiting.... 0-1 right now.

Except Texas never pushed for Newsome. You need to do some research on blanket offering. http://www.athleticbusiness.com/more-news/blanket-offering-leaves-many-recruits-feeling-jilted.html

There's different degrees to "blanket offering" but that's exactly what this was. Texas has higher WRs on the board, and it's been that way for weeks. Which is why Texas stopped recruiting Newsome for almost a month. Texas has been slow playing Newsome for quite a while now. That's not to say that Newsome isn't a good player, he is. Simply that Texas has WRs higher on the board. 

I wish Ryan all of the best, until we play UCLA of course.  Then I hope that he fervently wishes he was on the other sideline and on the winning team, ours of course.  It's obvious that it was an emotional decision for him, and hopefully he will be happy there.  It's not going to be easy to be that far from home, particularly his first year.

Does UCLA get better attendance at their games these days?

Hook 'em! 

Except Texas never pushed for Newsome. You need to do some research on blanket offering. http://www.athleticbusiness.com/more-news/blanket-offering-leaves-many-recruits-feeling-jilted.html

There's different degrees to "blanket offering" but that's exactly what this was. Texas has higher WRs on the board, and it's been that way for weeks. Which is why Texas stopped recruiting Newsome for almost a month. Texas has been slow playing Newsome for quite a while now. That's not to say that Newsome isn't a good player, he is. Simply that Texas has WRs higher on the board. 

So why the hell did Norvell do an in home to the kid right after he was hired, if we stopped recruiting him ?

Seems a waste of time if you are after other WRs.

We just hire a coach and Charlie sends him to visit a guy you don't really want ??? Riiiight.

Isn't that an Aggy kinda spin on the snub by Newsome ? " We didn't really want him." ...SMH

Seems to me if Charlie really is going to run a pro style, grind up the clock offense, we BETTER go hard after these "lower rated" WRs, because the higher rated guys are going to go to Oregon, Baylor, etc ( where they can get the ball thrown to them 10X as often compared to what they will see the ball at Texas ). Those 2nd tier guys can catch well enough to keep teams honest. Better than having to settle on 3rd tier guys when the higher rated guys eat our big cookies and sign with UCLA, Aggy, Baylor, etc.....