Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

Extra Burnt Ends on Murray & Lodge

Wanted to let you know what we're hearing. There are a lot of rumors and misinformation out there. Some of it we can't comment on yet, but these pieces have been confirmed by two sources.

You know the rules: DO NOT FORWARD this information - it's intended for HornSports members. Anyone can read it here, so please direct someone to it instead of copying it somewhere.

Kevin Murray did not get into a heated conversation with Kevin Sumlin, but there was a conversation between them. In that conversation, Sumlin was asked questions that he could not, or would not, answer. That is the second time this has happened between the two of them.

After this talk, Kevin Murray essentially said "Fine. I'm done." and is supporting a move to UT.

From Kyler Murray's perspective, he loves A&M, and has since he was very young. But he's an impressionable kid, and several folks are in his ear about why Texas is a better choice for him. The pro-Texas group now includes Kevin Murray, and that shouldn't be underestimated.

From the Horns' standpoint, Charlie Strong and Shawn Watson are telling Murray they will build an offense that suits his skills. That's a really vague statement to make, but it's a sales pitch. And from what we're told, Murray is listening closely and liking what he hears.

The last bit of info that is working in the Longhorns' favor is that Murray still wants to play baseball and football. He has been told he can both at Texas. The MLB draft will be a hurdle, but Murray does want to continue playing both sports, if possible.

Three important side notes to the story:

1. DaMarkus Lodge told Charlie Strong that he will strongly consider Texas if Murray commits to the Horns.

2. While things between Kevin Murray and Sumlin are not ideal, Sumlin and A&M know how much Kyler likes A&M. We're told that Sumlin is nowhere close to giving up yet and plans to have a serious rebuttal to everything seemingly pointing to UT.

3. Kevin Murray is in favor of a redshirt year for Kyler. That might end up a crucial bit of information.

This jives with a couple different things I've read. Basically, Kevin Murray seems to be having some of the same issues Malik was rumored to have when talking with Sumlin. When they asked Sumlin for answers he avoids giving them and that undeniably hurts 'trust'.

WOW!  Well done. That explains a lot - particularly the sudden timing of the visit.  Honestly, I now think we have better than a punchers chance in this one.

And, whether, it means anything or not, the decision of Daylon Mack to cancel hi$ Auburn visit cannot be overlooked, either.

And, I hear the rumor is that Strickland is in the picture as well - never mind just Lodge.  Couple all of this with the highly rated RB with the strange name (Soso Jamambo or something) coming today and it appears that all holy hell is getting ready to break loose.

I, also, read where that OB site said something big is about to happen tonight - whatever that means.

Here is what all of this and the bottom line means to me.

CHARLIE STRONG IS A HELLUVA RECRUITER.

I think Kyler Murray was one of the best high school quarterbacks possibly ever. But, to me, his size doesn't translate well to the next level and I can't stand how he holds the ball when he runs. He's a great talent no doubt. As long as offenses are being tailored to talents, I really think the talent Texas should tailor to is Jerrod Heard. He and Murray have a similar skill set and I like Heard more based on, if nothing else, his natural size. Plus he's been here a year. If the offense is suited for Heard, Murray should be able to step in after Heard's time on the 40 acres is complete.

I think Kyler Murray was one of the best high school quarterbacks possibly ever. But, to me, his size doesn't translate well to the next level and I can't stand how he holds the ball when he runs. He's a great talent no doubt. As long as offenses are being tailored to talents, I really think the talent Texas should tailor to is Jerrod Heard. He and Murray have a similar skill set and I like Heard more based on, if nothing else, his natural size. Plus he's been here a year. If the offense is suited for Heard, Murray should be able to step in after Heard's time on the 40 acres is complete.

This 

Everything Strong and Watson said they'll do for Murray works for Heard. Let's just get on with it, please! We won a Natty with a spread/multiple offense. No reason it can't work again.

I also see no reason why Kyler can't redshirt next fall for football, but play baseball in the spring of 2016.

Jibes, not jives, FWIW.

Sailing term . .. the triangular sail at the front of a sail boat used for direction. . . spun into "jibs with. . moving with/in the same direction"

Watson has a long history of adapting offenses to fit talent.   He's not GD in that regard but I have to chuckle when I see the comment "pro style" . . .

CFS tells Watson what he wants. . . .this year it was built around ball control which was our strength.  . .Swoopes is a highly inaccurate passer so running an air raid attack is frankly stupid. . . which does stop our fans from pointing to TCU (well they don't exactly run air raid either) or ECU and saying "hey it works there". .   well duh dipshits, they have QBs.

PS, great read. . . . 

Disagree. If your correct then you start your own recruiting service. Your about the only one who thinks that.

From the quick research i did off several recruiting boards, and on Wiki, he and Russell are about the same height, and today 25-30 lbs or so different. One shows 4.52 speed (Kyler), and Russell at 4.53. 

A 2007 Rivals recruiting page showed Russell at 180 at that time. He's showing 206 now (Wiki page). 

I've seen 170 and 178 for Kyler. 

Overall the two things hardest to change...height and 40 speed... is practically identical. 

Weight about the difference you'd expect given age difference. I'd think Kyler could become a 195 QB, or more. 

From the Horns' standpoint, Charlie Strong and Shawn Watson are telling Murray they will build an offense that suits his skills. That's a really vague statement to make, but it's a sales pitch. And from what we're told, Murray is listening closely and liking what he hears.

This is the part of your report I don't quite understand. I would think that is one of the most important questions Kyler and his dad would want to know. I would think Watson and the offensive coaches would be able to have a plan on how they would want to change the offense. Especially since Kevin is a former NFL QB. The other option is that this was a get to know each other meeting and the coaches would be able to go in more details on future meetings.

My hope is that the coaches don't promise that Kyler will redshirt since he may be our best QB next year.

CHARLIE STRONG IS A HELLUVA RECRUITER.

I think Charlie is a better than average recruiter. But I think what Charlie (and other staff members) have is essentially selling itself – great coaching.

Charlie has a vision that he obviously sells well. But unlike other great recruiters out there and of the past, he's got a reputation that gets him in doors that would not open for those others.

Disagree. If your correct then you start your own recruiting service. Your about the only one who thinks that.

I've seen the kid listed as short as 5'-10" and as low as 170lbs. And he runs about a 4.5 sec forty.  So he's probably actually 5'-9", 165lbs. When he scrambles and takes a hit from one of these boys, I just hope his body holds up.  I prefer the bigger, just as athletic qb we have in Heard...(6'-2" 190lbs...4.6 forty)