Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT - UFO's, Bigfeet, ghosts, monsters from lochs, etc.

doc longhorn

This is a topic sure to get either angry or agreeing responses.  And there may even be some genuine interest and offerings.

All of us have either an opinion or an experience on this and I will give you mine.  But let me make myself clear.  It is assumed, when someone opines on a message board, it is generally an opinion.  As such, there is no reason for anyone to get their panties in a wad if an opinion differs from yours.  If the tone of the opinion offends you - well, tough darts.  :)

Okay - onward.

As a man of science, I have always cast a jaundiced eye towards unsupported "facts" - like the so called Loch Ness monster.  It has been my experience that the human brain has a need to "label" things it cannot understand.  A case in point are the sightings of "UFO's".

I had a friend in college, who could well be described as a genius, who majored in astrology (and other disciplines).  Later on in life, after attaining a couple of PHD's, he told me, when the subject of UFO's came up, that the possibility of UFO's visiting earth was an exercise in math.  He said he wouldn't bore me with the calculations, but they have been made and certified.

He said consider the universe where it is calculated there are as many galaxies as there are sands in the Sahara.  Galaxies are assumed to have trillions of stars with the uncountable associated planets and moons.

Now, he went further, why would anyone visit Earth -  a planet, that is buried in the monstrous abyss of the unfathomable numbers of the universe - much less even locate it? 

This is the science response to UFO's.  Makes you think, doesn't it.  

Now, on to the critters that have big feet.  With all due respect to Sirhornsalot, who will no doubt call me an idiot and be able to pony up some visceral "evidence" to refute me.

People that pursue these critters claim they have been seen and heard for hundreds of years and have archeological evidence to prove it.  This begs the logical questions - that none have been able to satisfactorily answer, IMO.

Where are the carcasses, the bones, the babies, the captures, the modern technical photography photos?  For, at least, the last hundred years there would have to be SOME certifiable evidence, wouldn't there?

If we can find Osama Bin Laden, surely we could have found ONE Bigfoot?

All this being said and without trying to derail the thread into a religious discussion, I have seen some things, in my career, that are unexplainable by science.  At least not to my satisfaction.

The end.  Flame away.

I've been to Loch Ness once - didn't see "Nessie", unfortunately.

Bigfoot should've been easily verified by now with modern thermo-imaging cameras and whatnot. Bobo needs to keep propagating the myth on "Finding Bigfoot" because it pays the bills. Of course, that sumbitch may have been mistaken for one a couple of times himself.

UFO's? IMO, only man-made experimental and classified aircraft that the public hasn't been made aware of yet.

FWIW, I will opine.

I am not a man of science... just a businessman.   I believe there are other galaxies, planets and solar systems. I suspect there may even be other forms of  "life" out there.  However I have always been very skeptical of UFO's.  As for Big Foot, as you mentioned - why has no real or credible evidence been found?  Man has found a lot of evidence of dinosaurs - why nothing on Big Foot?

Just my .02

This is a topic sure to get either angry or agreeing responses.  And there may even be some genuine interest and offerings.

All of us have either an opinion or an experience on this and I will give you mine.  But let me make myself clear.  It is assumed, when someone opines on a message board, it is generally an opinion.  As such, there is no reason for anyone to get their panties in a wad if an opinion differs from yours.  If the tone of the opinion offends you - well, tough darts.  :)

Okay - onward.

As a man of science, I have always cast a jaundiced eye towards unsupported "facts" - like the so called Loch Ness monster.  It has been my experience that the human brain has a need to "label" things it cannot understand.  A case in point are the sightings of "UFO's".

I had a friend in college, who could well be described as a genius, who majored in astrology (and other disciplines).  Later on in life, after attaining a couple of PHD's, he told me, when the subject of UFO's came up, that the possibility of UFO's visiting earth was an exercise in math.  He said he wouldn't bore me with the calculations, but they have been made and certified.

He said consider the universe where it is calculated there are as many galaxies as there are sands in the Sahara.  Galaxies are assumed to have trillions of stars with the uncountable associated planets and moons.

Now, he went further, why would anyone visit Earth -  a planet, that is buried in the monstrous abyss of the unfathomable numbers of the universe - much less even locate it? 

This is the science response to UFO's.  Makes you think, doesn't it.  

Now, on to the critters that have big feet.  With all due respect to Sirhornsalot, who will no doubt call me an idiot and be able to pony up some visceral "evidence" to refute me.

People that pursue these critters claim they have been seen and heard for hundreds of years and have archeological evidence to prove it.  This begs the logical questions - that none have been able to satisfactorily answer, IMO.

Where are the carcasses, the bones, the babies, the captures, the modern technical photography photos?  For, at least, the last hundred years there would have to be SOME certifiable evidence, wouldn't there?

If we can find Osama Bin Laden, surely we could have found ONE Bigfoot?

All this being said and without trying to derail the thread into a religious discussion, I have seen some things, in my career, that are unexplainable by science.  At least not to my satisfaction.

The end.  Flame away.

I think the biggest myth you're involved in here is the idea that a thread like this can survive without turning into mass chaos and pissed off people. I have no idea why, but it really pisses people off to learn that someone else has had an experience that they themselves have not had.

I'm one of those people. Let's clear up one assumption here though – I don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks so I'm not the guy who's going to stand up an debate people who the whole time have an actual desire to not believe what you're saying. I did not ask for what happened to me, but I've never been able to let that go. I've needed to try to know more.

There are tons of game cam photos, video, hair samples, fecal samples – some have tested to be other animals while others have just presented more questions. One DNA sample suggests BF is crossed between human (human DNA present, in part) combined with another, undocumented primate. The witnesses you don't hear from (predictably) are simply folks who go out into the wilderness and they include all types of law enforcement, field biologists, park rangers, etc. They stay quiet because their life is more normal that way.

As for dead carcasses laying around, how many human carcasses are just laying around? Why aren't we finding all the dead humans laying around? I mean, we know they exist don't we?

As for evidence, there's a ton of it out there. The reason you're not aware of it is because you haven't looked for it. There is some fake stuff out there, but it's usually the researchers who point out the fakes.

New, previously unknown species are being discovered all the time. Recently, a new species of Ape was discovered in Indonesia. How can that be? We fought a war over there and combed that whole jungle.

I'm glad to talk to someone who has a serious interest. I don't waste my time with a public forum where everyone is trying to be a hero and do what no man before him has ever done. People spend decades studying this stuff. You're not going to accomplish jack with your google bar in the next hour or so.

Having grown up in East Texas and hunting and fishing on Caddo Lake since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I can say I have seen some strange stuff and frankly I seen some things that scared the hell out of me.  So I dont judge when I hear someone saw something because I remember what its like to be on the other end of that and everyone thinking your crazy.

My brother in law swears he saw a ufo at his house in Weslaco, Texas. Said he was at lunch one day and heard planes overhead. He went out to his backyard and saw two fighter jets chasing something around in the sky. One minute it was there and then it took off and they couldn't catch it. He now believes in ufo's

Please tell us your Bigfoot stories and encounters, SHA and Texas Homer.

I'm not trying to be condescending, either. I occasionally watch Finding Bigfoot because I find the idea that an unknown primate species may exist fascinating. It will be fun to read about your experiences.

I can't watch that show without disgust. The way they go about the woods chatting back and forth, making all kinds of noise, etc., it more or less explains why they never seem very successful.

What you see in the show is not how most go about it.

UTK66 is in Longview. North of him about 40 miles is Big Cypress Bayou and just north of there is the old strip mining roads surrounding Daingerfield. That is the area where my experience happened.

East Texas is littered with reports. Shortly after my experience back in '78-'79, another event happened just north of Longview in the New Diana community. Branches broken off a tree near to a home at 10 ft high. Barn tore up, livestock killed, what survived ran away and was found a few days later. People in the house scared out of their minds. Big stories about it in the Longview Morning Journal back then.

Here's what I think is fairy tale-like . . . the idea that people all over the world have seen the same thing for thousands of years, without having any knowledge of each other, or of the creature they encounter (beforehand) etc. There are even depictions of BF in ancient Indian cave drawings in California.

I believe that earth, the inhabitants of earth, and humans in particular may merely be virtual characters in an advanced civilization's "video game".  If we look at the trajectory of technology that has existed, say for the last 2000 years, it is clear that we are on an exponential curve of advancing technology.  If we don't destroy the laboratory (earth), technology will move forward until either machines become the most intelligent "life" or humans start to leverage machines to accelerate mental capacity much faster than evolution can.

If we can go from building sized computers that can do not much more than add 2 numbers, to supercomputers on a chip in 60 years, imagine where technology will be in 1000 years, a million years, 10 million years.

I thought this board was about sports at the University of Texas. I guess I was mistaken.

Sorry, but the OP is just trying to stir things up and be annoying. Just like he did late last week over on OB where he basically got told to take a hike.

It is a UT sports forum, but it's fun to discuss other topics occasionally.

I'm sorry the OP annoys you. Maybe it'd be a good idea to block his posts or not click/comment on them? Just a thought.

I think the biggest myth you're involved in here is the idea that a thread like this can survive without turning into mass chaos and pissed off people. I have no idea why, but it really pisses people off to learn that someone else has had an experience that they themselves have not had.

I'm one of those people. Let's clear up one assumption here though – I don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks so I'm not the guy who's going to stand up an debate people who the whole time have an actual desire to not believe what you're saying. I did not ask for what happened to me, but I've never been able to let that go. I've needed to try to know more.

There are tons of game cam photos, video, hair samples, fecal samples – some have tested to be other animals while others have just presented more questions. One DNA sample suggests BF is crossed between human (human DNA present, in part) combined with another, undocumented primate. The witnesses you don't hear from (predictably) are simply folks who go out into the wilderness and they include all types of law enforcement, field biologists, park rangers, etc. They stay quiet because their life is more normal that way.

As for dead carcasses laying around, how many human carcasses are just laying around? Why aren't we finding all the dead humans laying around? I mean, we know they exist don't we?

As for evidence, there's a ton of it out there. The reason you're not aware of it is because you haven't looked for it. There is some fake stuff out there, but it's usually the researchers who point out the fakes.

New, previously unknown species are being discovered all the time. Recently, a new species of Ape was discovered in Indonesia. How can that be? We fought a war over there and combed that whole jungle.

I'm glad to talk to someone who has a serious interest. I don't waste my time with a public forum where everyone is trying to be a hero and do what no man before him has ever done. People spend decades studying this stuff. You're not going to accomplish jack with your google bar in the next hour or so.

Oh, no, SHL, you will never find me down downgrading you for your beliefs.  You have your reasons for believing what you do.  Don't be defensive about this - there may be a day whereby I am proven totally wrong about Big Foot.  I'm not calling you deluded at all.  I'm just a hard guy to convince because of my background.

Look, in the scheme of things, it really hasn't been that long ago that the medical man was using leeches as an approved medical practice.  So I may be skeptical, but I am open to honest arguments as well.

And, as my learned friend also said, the math calculations can also be turned around.  With the immensity of the universe and the countless galaxies, what is the probability that intelligent life exists elsewhere, as well?

And, as my learned friend also said, the math calculations can also be turned around. With the immensity of the universe and the countless galaxies, what is the probability that intelligent life exists elsewhere, as well?

I was going to point this out but you just did. Why would they visit us? Well, we study microbes living in inhospitable spots. No doubt our species would be very interesting to them, like us watching dolphins. Communicating with us, we'll, that's another issue. You ever try to communicated with an ant?

I thought this board was about sports at the University of Texas. I guess I was mistaken.

Sorry, but the OP is just trying to stir things up and be annoying. Just like he did late last week over on OB where he basically got told to take a hike.

NTG - with all due respect, I am the OP of this thread and I am not even a member of OB.

You may not be familiar with internet jargon, but the title of the thread clearly stated this was an OT (off topic) subject.  Thus giving you the option to read it or not.

Finally, to echo the very reasons you previously used, when you jumped on me, this is an opinion board and I and SHL are entitled to opinions just as you are. 

Maybe you are the one who should climb down off your high horse.

Back to the subject, I'm linking a blog that has been run by a field researcher in the Appalachians. He was once featured on Finding Bigfoot and some of his photography was shown.

This is a vast blog with lots of info. This guy spends his life doing this. With the time he's invested he knows and sees what he's looking for, just as a deer hunter will see deer when others do not.

http://bf-field-journal.blogspot.com/p/bigfoot-photographs-and-sketches.html

That's his photo/sketch page. The vocalizations section is very interesting as the one known as "the Ohio calls" is almost identical to what my ears have heard.

I believe that earth, the inhabitants of earth, and humans in particular may merely be virtual characters in an advanced civilization's "video game".  If we look at the trajectory of technology that has existed, say for the last 2000 years, it is clear that we are on an exponential curve of advancing technology.  If we don't destroy the laboratory (earth), technology will move forward until either machines become the most intelligent "life" or humans start to leverage machines to accelerate mental capacity much faster than evolution can.

If we can go from building sized computers that can do not much more than add 2 numbers, to supercomputers on a chip in 60 years, imagine where technology will be in 1000 years, a million years, 10 million years.

You make an excellent point.  In my lifetime alone, we have landed on the moon, TV was invented, Polio was cured, the microchip was invented, computers and, lest we forget, the internet.  Just to name a few. 

Back to the subject, I'm linking a blog that has been run by a field researcher in the Appalachians. He was once featured on Finding Bigfoot and some of his photography was shown.

This is a vast blog with lots of info. This guy spends his life doing this. With the time he's invested he knows and sees what he's looking for, just as a deer hunter will see deer when others do not.

http://bf-field-journal.blogspot.com/p/bigfoot-photographs-and-sketches.html

That's his photo/sketch page. The vocalizations section is very interesting as the one known as "the Ohio calls" is almost identical to what my ears have heard.

Vocalizations are an interesting subject.  I know many of you are avid deer hunters.  I used to be myself.

But have you ever heard a deer scream?  Yes, I said scream - like a woman, actually,  I have, when I was about 12 years old and when my dad cut the throat of a gut shot doe, because he didn't want to waste another bullet.

Who would believe this, without actually hearing it?