Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Matt Cotcher

The Extended Forecast - Spring priorities for Charlie Strong

Priority #1...QB. 

There is no #2.

OL is the clear #2 .. . 

In fact if they can fix the OL. . . QB actually isn't as big a concern. .  .

Not saying it wouldn't be a concern but Swoopes' year is dramitcally different if he's just playing behind the 2013 OL. . .. 

Good read Matt

I agree that much of the offensive success will come from the OL, but I also agree that the QB concern is legit.

What we know is that Swoopes is highly inconsistent, lacks some fundamental qualities of a QB. It's uncertain if his career can be resurrected. 

You know I'm a big Heard fan. I believe he can get it done. But in this day of college football, the likelihood of injury is high. So we've GOT to have a backup plan. You would prefer to not have to rely on a Swoopes or even a Gentry for that backup role. But you add another couple of QBs (Merrick and Locksley) and at least you have additional competition for that back up spot, and perhaps the starter role if Heard struggles.

And I'm not comfortable with that.

Bring me Braxton Miller and put my mind to rest.

You see what you are doing, SHL?  You have anointed Heard as the starter with no evidence what so ever that he deserves to be the starter - other than frigging HS exploits against HS players.  Why don't you anoint Gentry or Merrick?  They were great in HS as well. 

So, that's it?  That's your evidence that Heard is a D-1 player?  Can't you see how weak that argument is?  Especially since it flies directly in the face of the coaches who, for the entire year, were saying that Heard was not ready?

But NOW you think he is, based on nothing but wishful thinking, a season has passed and a hatred for Swoopes?

I pray you are right about him - even though I know you don't have a clue whether he is ready or not.  I also, pray Swoopes takes a major step of improvement over last year, as well.  Don't you?  Doesn't everyone?

If Heard winds up starting and playing like he did in high school, I will be the first to say, hallelujah, thank god for a decent QB.

But the first time I hear you say play Gentry, when Heard screws up (and he will without a decent OL), I am going to refer you to your love comments of him.  And I better not hear any apologies for him either - like he is too young, or we need an OL or receivers, etc., etc. 

No, you yourself said Heard carried his team to two state championships, that they could not have won without him.  So, I expect to see him do the same with UT's football team as well. 

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander - right?  :)

Here is what I really hope.  I hope Heard comes in, our OL and receivers improve immensely, we win 10 games, the conference and are in the top four in the nation.

Then I invite everyone to call me out and tell me to jam Swoopes up my arse  and I will start a thread saying everyone was right about Heard and I was wrong..  Of course I will laugh, because the bottom line is my beloved Longhorns are winning and THAT is really all I care about.  It's all win for me.

On the flip side - how many of you will say the same if Swoopes does the same thing?  Will I hear a peep out of you SHL? :)

On the flip side - how many of you will say the same if Swoopes does the same thing?  Will I hear a peep out of you SHL?  :)

If Swoopes leads UT to 10 wins next year, you will get an apology from me and an opportunity to bask in self-righteous "I told you so's".   ;)

Personally, I will be happy with 8 wins and no blow-out losses in 2015. Maybe I should raise my expectations? But, that too will be wishful thinking IMO. Just wanna see progress on offense regardless of who is QB.

You see what you are doing, SHL?  You have anointed Heard as the starter with no evidence what so ever that he deserves to be the starter - other than frigging HS exploits against HS players.  Why don't you anoint Gentry or Merrick?  They were great in HS as well. 

So, that's it?  That's your evidence that Heard is a D-1 player?  Can't you see how weak that argument is?  Especially since it flies directly in the face of the coaches who, for the entire year, were saying that Heard was not ready?

But NOW you think he is, based on nothing but wishful thinking, a season has passed and a hatred for Swoopes?

I pray you are right about him - even though I know you don't have a clue whether he is ready or not.  I also, pray Swoopes takes a major step of improvement over last year, as well.  Don't you?  Doesn't everyone?

If Heard winds up starting and playing like he did in high school, I will be the first to say, hallelujah, thank god for a decent QB.

But the first time I hear you say play Gentry, when Heard screws up (and he will without a decent OL), I am going to refer you to your love comments of him.  And I better not hear any apologies for him either - like he is too young, or we need an OL or receivers, etc., etc. 

No, you yourself said Heard carried his team to two state championships, that they could not have won without him.  So, I expect to see him do the same with UT's football team as well. 

Here is what I really hope.  I hope Heard comes in, our OL and receivers improve immensely, we win 10 games, the conference and are in the top four in the nation.

Then I invite everyone to call me out and tell me to jam Swoopes up my arse  and I will start a thread saying everyone was right about Heard and I was wrong..  Of course I will laugh, because the bottom line is my beloved Longhorns are winning and THAT is really all I care about.  It's all win for me.

On the flip side - how many of you will say the same if Swoopes does the same thing?  Will I hear a peep out of you SHL? :)

Goodness gracious, can you be anymore over the top?

Get off your high horse. Nobody has anointed anybody to be anything. People have simply expressed their opinions and thoughts which you seem to want to shoot down and diss every chance you get.

Your opinion is no better or no worse than anyone else's on this board. Quit acting like it is.

Goodness gracious, can you be anymore over the top?

Get off your high horse. Nobody has anointed anybody to be anything. People have simply expressed their opinions and thoughts which you seem to want to shoot down and diss every chance you get.

Your opinion is no better or no worse than anyone else's on this board. Quit acting like it is.

You are right.  I'm sorry if I offended you and for sure I didn't want to offend SHL.

I hope everyone will accept my apologies.

First if you apology was sincere, good on you. . . . .if not . .. . .well, not hard to read between the lines..

But here is the difference. . . .

Heard did in fact carry his team to back to back state titles against quality opponents and plenty of D 1 talent. . . . 

Swoopes could not and did not dominate playing vs 2 A ball . .. . . 

While he has tons of potential, in the immortal words of Dandy Don Merideth. . . .potential means you ain't done it yet. . . . .

If we run an offense next year similar to what Watson ran with Martinez at Neb (and Heard is a better passer) and we get any upgrade along the OL. . .. 

Think our offense is OK. . . . 

The voice of reason.  Well stated.

What I fear, however, is that Swoopes is now damaged goods.  His confidence is crushed and may be irreparable.

In truth, Swoopes should not have even seen the field until this year - his Junior year.  After Ash bowed out, last year, all Strong wanted Swoopes to be was a place holder.  Nothing more.  Then the OL happened, and Jaxon happened.  Our defense was good, but not good enough.

Disaster.

Heading into this year we now have an experienced QB with a confidence problem and that's untrustworthy and a RS freshman that had looked terrible in practices.

We need them both to make vast improvements this year.  Both of them.

That's it, that is what we actually have.  Well, we have Gentry and Merrick but they will RS and cannot be counted on.

So, depth wise, it behooves Strong to find either a JUCO or a D-1 ready grad.  It is no more complicated than that.  In other words, we need a 3rd string QB.

So our QB situation is what it is.  But, God help us if we can't find a way to protect them.  And protection is not just blocking for them in passing situations, it's blocking for our RB's and having our receivers getting open and catching the ball.

Mack did Swoopes no favors by playing him his true freshman year. He should have redshirted and watched, like Vince Young and Cold McCoy did their freshmen years. 

Heard did not practice well but then word came out that late in the year he was starting to play much better. The kid has a pedigree. He's not as big and Swoopes but he is a much better runner. 

The one concern I have about Swoopes is I didn't see the growth I would have expected. I throw out the Arkansas game. In the last few weeks Arkansas shut out LSC, Ole Miss and allowed only 14 points to Bama. They made a lot of teams offense look bad. 

A random poster said today on TOS that Watson and Strong both went to visit with Heard's high school coach today.

Dunno if true.

Dunno exactly what it means if true either.

If true I would say there's three possibilities.

1. Recruiting- Hello Shawn Robertson

2. Going over offense that best suits Jerrod with his HS coaches.

3. Combination

My hope it's #2 or #3.

First if you apology was sincere, good on you. . . . .if not . .. . .well, not hard to read between the lines..

But here is the difference. . . .

Heard did in fact carry his team to back to back state titles against quality opponents and plenty of D 1 talent. . . . 

Swoopes could not and did not dominate playing vs 2 A ball . .. . . 

While he has tons of potential, in the immortal words of Dandy Don Merideth. . . .potential means you ain't done it yet. . . . .

If we run an offense next year similar to what Watson ran with Martinez at Neb (and Heard is a better passer) and we get any upgrade along the OL. . .. 

Think our offense is OK. . . . 

My apology to the board was sincere.  So much so, I think it best I drop off discussions for a while.  give it a rest, as it were.