Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OU hires Lincoln Riley as new Offensive Coordinator

J.B. TexasEx

It's a clear sign Bob Stoops is going back to the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach “Air Raid†style of attack that OU ran in the beginning of the Stoops Era (1999 under offensive coordinator Mike Leach). I'm told OU will emphasize getting its talented running backs in space in the attack and that Riley's success and experience of play-calling helped him become Oklahoma's choce. http://www.news9.com/story/27822934/breaking-news-oklahoma-to-name-lincoln-riley-offensive-coordinator

I don't understand why people are so high on Riley. 

When has an air raid offense won a national title? To me there's a certain limit on what the air raid can accomplish. Until an "air raid" offense wins a title, I'm not sold on a coordinator that runs that style of offense. In the end, it's about winning titles. There seems to be statistical evidence that the air raid doesn't win titles. 

I don't understand why people are so high on Riley. 

When has an air raid offense won a national title? To me there's a certain limit on what the air raid can accomplish. Until an "air raid" offense wins a title, I'm not sold on a coordinator that runs that style of offense. In the end, it's about winning titles. There seems to be statistical evidence that the air raid doesn't win titles. 

The "air raid" is a spread variant that doesn't require a dual-threat QB. Its predecessor was the "run & shoot".

I agree that a spread featuring a dual-threat QB has proven to be more successful; UT, Florida, and now tOSU.

Wanted Frost, Herman, or Riley last yr...smh

CFS was rumored (though I have heard that might not be an accurate rumor) to be interested in Herman.

He has no interest in Riley's offense . .. .

Wish people would stop the XBOX "reality" of thinking play calling is the only variable in football. . . but we ARE NOT going uptempo (we already run a good deal of spread and if you like Herman, Watson runs a similar O). . .we are going to control the clock. . .

At least until CFS says do something different.  ..which I hope he NEVER does. . . .

Get back to me when an uptempo team beats a strong D/STrong running game for the National Title. . . I'll wait. . .

Wish people would stop the XBOX "reality" of thinking play calling is the only variable in football. . . but we ARE NOT going uptempo (we already run a good deal of spread and if you like Herman, Watson runs a similar O). . .we are going to control the clock. . .

I hear you, but the most frustrating thing about our last two games was not making many plays in the passing game when both defenses clearly geared up to stop the run.

I hear you, but the most frustrating thing about our last two games was not making many plays in the passing game when both defenses clearly geared up to stop the run.

I'd argue (as was true most of the year). . . .no play call. . .no matter how wonderful or unstoppable on XBOX.  .. fails when the QB cannot get the ball in the same zip code of the WR.

• 7 months later...