Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Burnt Ends (1-5)

Gonna disagree. Wick likes Heard, as do most of the coaches. Except there seems to be some sort of rub between Watson and Heard. I don't know why it's so but Watson was called out on it recently by Wickline.

What prompted the confrontation was the fact that during most of the season and especially in the bowl practices, Watson relegated Heard to running the scout team along with a bunch of walk-ons, being protected by walk-on OL against D1 scholarship players.

Pardon me, but no one is going to excel, learn, much less look good in that situation. Watson has just repeated the criticism enough for some around him to buy into it and those in the distance just hear it and believe it. Wick had seen enough and was independent minded enough to speak out. It was enough that it got into Charlie's ear as well.

If Heard is given a fair shot by Watson, he's gonna fly. The kid is special.

Sirhornsalot would love to hear more about the above. I hope Strong took notice - this makes me not trust or care for Watson even more. Do you think Heard has complained about Watsons system? Also, wonder what you know about Murray.

Gonna disagree. Wick likes Heard, as do most of the coaches. Except there seems to be some sort of rub between Watson and Heard. I don't know why it's so but Watson was called out on it recently by Wickline.

What prompted the confrontation was the fact that during most of the season and especially in the bowl practices, Watson relegated Heard to running the scout team along with a bunch of walk-ons, being protected by walk-on OL against D1 scholarship players.

Pardon me, but no one is going to excel, learn, much less look good in that situation. Watson has just repeated the criticism enough for some around him to buy into it and those in the distance just hear it and believe it. Wick had seen enough and was independent minded enough to speak out. It was enough that it got into Charlie's ear as well.

I have not totally bought in to Watson.  I know he gets a lot of credit for the development of Bridgewater. However, its not like Bridgewater was chopped liver coming out of HS.  He was a 4* QB that had skills and was offered by Miami as well as Florida.

Good coaches learn to adapt their offense to the skill of their players.

I know where your info comes from, but you know I have a little inside as well.  First of all, Heard was never going to play in the bowl game anyway, so we can discount him having to play on the scout team as academic.

During the season is a different story. 

I admit my info is 4th hand, but yours is pretty close as well - don't you agree?

Regardless, I think it is pretty well understood that neither Swoopes nor Heard are the answer - at least not today.

Also, I submit that Peyton Manning could not have done much better behind our OL and with the receivers we had.  We simply weren't that talented and there were zero game breakers.

Even Case McCoy looked good at times - behind a better OL and with Marquis as a game breaker.

We all seem to overlook this for some reason.

Sirhornsalot would love to hear more about the above. I hope Strong took notice - this makes me not trust or care for Watson even more. Do you think Heard has complained about Watsons system? Also, wonder what you know about Murray.

It irked Wick that Heard ran a scout team throughout the bowl practices while a walk-on got 2nd team (and some 1st team) snaps during that period.

It wasn't a combative confrontation, but it was indeed a call out. More or less a "this guy is going to run our offense next year and he can't even get snaps during bowl practices?"

Last I heard re: Murray is that if he does not go to aggy, he would likely end up at OU as OU is recruiting him hard. Dad's relationship with aggy coaching staff is abrasive, at best, right now. Kyler's not a fan of Texas.

I know where your info comes from, but you know I have a little inside as well.  First of all, Heard was never going to play in the bowl game anyway, so we can discount him having to play on the scout team as academic.

During the season is a different story. 

I admit my info is 4th hand, but yours is pretty close as well - don't you agree?

Regardless, I think it is pretty well understood that neither Swoopes nor Heard are the answer - at least not today.

Also, I submit that Peyton Manning could not have done much better behind our OL and with the receivers we had.  We simply weren't that talented and there were zero game breakers.

Even Case McCoy looked good at times - behind a better OL and with Marquis as a game breaker.

We all seem to overlook this for some reason.

Gonna disagree, again.

This is the time when your future quarterback gets meaningful snaps with the 1st team. It's part of the advantage of having bowl practices - not just to win a bottom tier bowl game.

So, no, IMO it's not academic. It's out of the ordinary to do what Watson did. And that's why Wick spoke up.

I don't want to see Swoopes take another snap. Seriously. I have seen Heard play in person a couple of times while he was at Guyer and know that I wasn't watching an aberration. He didn't drive through the Austin city limit sign and suddenly become an inferior player. Not buying it at all. But that's what Watson has been selling to anyone who would listen.

I see Heard starting next year . . . and I think we'll see a dramatic improvement at QB. There are things that Heard does that couldn't be coached into Swoopes.

That said, I know if Heard goes down we are back to square one so I do feel there needs to be at least a serviceable QB added to this class.

The story I shared re Watson was something I heard from several sources, which made me more confident. 

It irked Wick that Heard ran a scout team throughout the bowl practices while a walk-on got 2nd team (and some 1st team) snaps during that period.

It wasn't a combative confrontation, but it was indeed a call out. More or less a "this guy is going to run our offense next year and he can't even get snaps during bowl practices?"

Last I heard re: Murray is that if he does not go to aggy, he would likely end up at OU as OU is recruiting him hard. Dad's relationship with aggy coaching staff is abrasive, at best, right now. Kyler's not a fan of Texas.

To add to that... I strongly feel that the talent was there to produce a much better season. Swoopes is not the answer. We need a guy that comprehends the offense enough to make reads, get us in the right play, and has the ability to make accurate throws. Plus, my feeling is Swoopes is his own worst enemy. Qbs have to have a short memory. Ash and Swoopes both seemed to let one mistake turn into others. Additionally, Swoopes wore his emotions for all to see. His body language didn't portray confidence. You don't think the guys in the huddle/on the sideline didn't see that? I know great qbs are few and far between,however, with average qb play we win 3-4 more games this year. I have no proof of that statement...just a hunch

Gonna disagree, again.

This is the time when your future quarterback gets meaningful snaps with the 1st team. It's part of the advantage of having bowl practices - not just to win a bottom tier bowl game.

So, no, IMO it's not academic. It's out of the ordinary to do what Watson did. And that's why Wick spoke up.

I don't want to see Swoopes take another snap. Seriously. I have seen Heard play in person a couple of times while he was at Guyer and know that I wasn't watching an aberration. He didn't drive through the Austin city limit sign and suddenly become an inferior player. Not buying it at all. But that's what Watson has been selling to anyone who would listen.

I see Heard starting next year . . . and I think we'll see a dramatic improvement at QB. There are things that Heard does that couldn't be coached into Swoopes.

That said, I know if Heard goes down we are back to square one so I do feel there needs to be at least a serviceable QB added to this class.

The story I shared re Watson was something I heard from several sources, which made me more confident. 

I understand being enamored with Heard, because of his high school exploits - they were awesome.  But there is a world of difference between HS and D-1 college - where you are playing against talented and full grown men instead of high school boys. 

As I have said, I would love to see Heard be able to perform in college like he did in HS - that's good for my beloved horns, and my disposition. :)  But he can't make chicken salad out of chicken poo - poo, no matter how good he is.  And that is what our OL and receivers are.

Also, if you say he performed badly because he was going against the first team defense with walk on's- what the hell do you think he would have done against TCU or K-State with the OL and receivers we had?

I can pretty well assure you, like Swoopes, he would have been running for his life and because he weighs a buck 85, he would probably wind up being killed.  And it still can't be discounted that he was a true freshman.

So, the question remains, what miraculous change will now cause him to be able to successfully take over the reins next year?  And what makes you think he will be successful even if he does?

At Guyer he had a loaded team, an awesome OL and  wr's - that had played together for 3 years. 

I hope you are right, SHL, but I have been told that Heard is simply not ready.  And I have been told this the entire season. 

And you know better than to lay all the blame on Watson - he is not coaching in a vacuum.

Finally, if you truly believe that Heard should have started, then you have to believe our coaches suck for not playing him.  And I think you are smart enough to know that isn't realistic.

Have no idea. Think thats just what he's got in his head. I don't think he dislikes Texas, just don't think we appeal to him.

He dislikes Texas because he grew up in an anti-Texas environment.  His daddy was an aggy.  And he has been pounded with anti-Texas propaganda since he committed to TAMU.

He probably thinks UT is evil.

Our O line should be drastically better next year. As for Heard playing on a great team...no doubt you're correct. However, the dame argument could be made that without Heard, that team doesn't win it all. Its a team sport however which single player is more important on the offensive side of the ball than the guy that touches it every play?

Gonna disagree, again.

Agree with you SHL...what a wasted opportunity.  We did the smart thing in red-shirting Heard but then it sounds like Watson dropped the ball big time in the bowl prep.  I wonder why Watson seems to be so down on Heard?  Is it because he was a Mack recruit?  It would be a real shame if his development was impaired because Watson for whatever reason doesn't like the kid.  I hope Charlie dropping the hammer on the offensive coaches and firing a few of them will stop some of this BS.

He had better make a significant jump in performance, if so.

Look, as bad as Swoopes has played, Heard has played worse.  I'm not trying to defend Swoopes with this statement, that is just the word from the coaches.

Don't you think Strong would have jerked Heards shirt in an instant if he could have shown ANY superior ability over Swoopes?  SWOOPES, for gods sake.

No, this teams needs an experienced transfer or a JUCO, IMO.

Heard is not the answer - he is not making the transition from HS to college, it appears 

You have no evidence to back up your claim that Heard is not making the transition. Strong knew this season was going to be a trash season. He saw what he had on this team. There was no point in burning Heard's shirt to try to save something that wasn't going to be savable. Strong started getting rid of the rot in that locker room and by all accounts he is still at it. Add this recruiting class to a new attitude in ATX, and Charlie is right on schedule to get things turned around. We won't know anything for sure about Heard until the spring game. 

You have no evidence to back up your claim that Heard is not making the transition. Strong knew this season was going to be a trash season. He saw what he had on this team. There was no point in burning Heard's shirt to try to save something that wasn't going to be savable. Strong started getting rid of the rot in that locker room and by all accounts he is still at it. Add this recruiting class to a new attitude in ATX, and Charlie is right on schedule to get things turned around. We won't know anything for sure about Heard until the spring game. 

You are right - I have no personal evidence at all.  I only know what I have heard.  And what I have heard comes from the coaches and it just sounds as if he is struggling with the transition.

But this is not uncommon with a true freshman anyway. 

I understand being enamored with Heard, because of his high school exploits - they were awesome.  But there is a world of difference between HS and D-1 college - where you are playing against talented and full grown men instead of high school boys. 

As I have said, I would love to see Heard be able to perform in college like he did in HS - that's good for my beloved horns, and my disposition. :)  But he can't make chicken salad out of chicken poo - poo, no matter how good he is.  And that is what our OL and receivers are.

Also, if you say he performed badly because he was going against the first team defense with walk on's- what the hell do you think he would have done against TCU or K-State with the OL and receivers we had?

I can pretty well assure you, like Swoopes, he would have been running for his life and because he weighs a buck 85, he would probably wind up being killed.  And it still can't be discounted that he was a true freshman.

So, the question remains, what miraculous change will now cause him to be able to successfully take over the reins next year?  And what makes you think he will be successful even if he does?

At Guyer he had a loaded team, an awesome OL and  wr's - that had played together for 3 years. 

I hope you are right, SHL, but I have been told that Heard is simply not ready.  And I have been told this the entire season. 

And you know better than to lay all the blame on Watson - he is not coaching in a vacuum.

Finally, if you truly believe that Heard should have started, then you have to believe our coaches suck for not playing him.  And I think you are smart enough to know that isn't realistic.

I understand there is a difference. But it's no different for Heard than it would be for Murray, Gentry, etc., except Heard has a year in the system now.

Again, I don't think Austin, Texas is a QB killer. Nothing has happened to Heard to change who he was on the football field when I saw him. You can't say he was a "system QB" as you would GG. Heard made that offense work.

To answer your question with regard to "what the hell do I think he would have done against TCU, etc.," . . . perhaps if he were playing behind a 1st team OL he might look a tad better and be somewhat more successful than if he were playing with the walk-on OL.

Heard faced the Big 12's best defense every single day. Why would TCU or KSU cause me pause?

I have not proposed that "Heard should have started." Haven't said that at all so I can't argue with you on something I've not said and do not agree with.

My complaint (though I didn't lodge one) is like Wickline's - you put your QB of the future in bowl practices and let him have some meaningful time. Period. I'm glad they kept the shirt on him.

Guyer wasn't nearly as loaded as say, Allen. I trust you're not going to try to tell me Murray looked good because of their system or the talent he was surrounded with? No, in Guyer's case, Heard made that team what it was, not the other way around.

We've seen heralded recruits flame and lesser thought of guys flourish.

Nobody has seen heard play a down of college football.

Who the hell knows?

Yes, we have. But we've also known why in most cases. I look forward to seeing Heard play. And I think we will, obviously.

There's no excuse for what Watson did. Even if you thought Heard was a true DT and had no business at QB, you have to at least find out. You can't do that when the kid is playing scrub team all the time. And of course he won't look good in that role.

For the record and to the board, I'm in disagreement with DocLonghorn on this one but I do respect him, his sources and find myself agreeing with him most of the time. Solid poster, he is. I just have reason to believe what I believe in this case, much better than 4th person, and I can't post it. Doc, if you PM me I can explain.