Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
mitchlovell96

Swoopes

Bringing in Juco guys or transfer QBs is a difficult task. With limited amount of time available you have to evaluate their ability to make a difference immediately, while evaluating whether they fit the mold for what you're trying to do scheme-wise.

I think the two biggest factors related to bringing in a QB that helps immediately are:

1. Can they help us win immediately, contribute to the development and growth of the young guys we have/are bring in.

2. The depth that you create by having the extra viable option whether its a starter or back-up (If Heard wins out)

Bringing in Juco guys or transfer QBs is a difficult task. With limited amount of time available you have to evaluate their ability to make a difference immediately, while evaluating whether they fit the mold for what you're trying to do scheme-wise.

I think the two biggest factors related to bringing in a QB that helps immediately are:

1. Can they help us win immediately, contribute to the development and growth of the young guys we have/are bring in.

2. The depth that you create by having the extra viable option whether its a starter or back-up (If Heard wins out)

Good points, especially winning immediately. 

I think also bringing in a JUCO or transfer QB that has been a starter and successful would bring in several CRITICAL things UT lacks right now. 

This teams needs a QB that:

1. exudes confidence

2. leads verbally and by example

3. gain trust of teammates and inspire them to have confidence in him

4. executes his assignments and have success

5. inspires his teammates to better execute their own assignments

Hook 'em!

Good points.

I think also bringing in a JUCO or transfer QB that has been a starter and successful would bring in several CRITICAL things UT lacks right now.

This teams needs at QB that:

1. exudes confidence

2. can lead verbally and by example

3. can gain trust of teammates and inspire them to have confidence in him

4. can execute his assignments and have success

5. inspire his teammates to better execute their own assignments

Hook 'em!

Amen. Couldn't agree more

I would run the wildcat or put a DLineman in before Swoopes took the field again as a QB. I just keep going back to the pregame show on the LHN where Vince Young was talking of how Tyrone is near uncoachable. Talked of the frustration of coaches he didn't seem interested in watching film and just not seeming to care?

Then there is his not wanting to run. One more year of this kind of quarterback performance will kill the program. I see now why his HS team didn't win a game hi senior year. 

I would run the wildcat or put a DLineman in before Swoopes took the field again as a QB. I just keep going back to the pregame show on the LHN where Vince Young was talking of how Tyrone is near uncoachable. Talked of the frustration of coaches he didn't seem interested in watching film and just not seeming to care?

Then there is his not wanting to run. One more year of this kind of quarterback performance will kill the program. I see now why his HS team didn't win a game hi senior year.

I agree. No way I believe Swoopes takes another snap. I'll feel better once we finish the recruiting process, including an additional QB. I, myself, am on the Heard bandwagon. I think the kid will be a good one down the road. I just would prefer a transfer for this year, if that's even an option. I would love to give Heard one more year to develop under a good mentor. Worst case, Heard takes the reigns and we have depth issues. Our success next year and moving forward will be all about QB play.

I don't think anyone denies the fact that we need to sign an experienced quarterback.  Lot's of talk and many "insiders" are saying we are evaluating and speaking with more than a few of them.  Now with that said, i agree with what Shannon Kelley said in our chat the other night.  Transfers/JC guys have to be vetted very carefully.  As he said, there is usually a reason they are playing JC ball.  Bringing in the right kid helps, the wrong one burns a scholarship and those are at a premium right now given our re-building project.  Does not signing a good one pose a risk? absolutely...but they don't grow on trees.  Placing the blame on Watson and Strong if the right kid isn't out there for us is a little harsh.

Charlie is on record after the TCU game as saying he wants competition at QB.

He even publicly complained about Swoopes having none

Unless we bring in an experienced QB now, we will not have any in 2015 either

And, if it turns out that Swoopes is the significant competition for Heard, then we are probably in even bigger trouble.

Given what was said, with these facts, then yes its on Watson/Strong.  

Maybe you are correct, maybe that is "harsh."  But it's reality.  The world is harsh.

here is Scipio

"I loved Jerrod Heard in high school, but putting all of your eggs into one unknown redshirt freshman basket is exactly how the Mack Brown era came apart. We need competition, we need experience and we need a depth chart that competes rather than coronates."

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2015/1/5/7494663/the-2015-transfer-qb-lottery-the-candidates

I agree. No way I believe Swoopes takes another snap. I'll feel better once we finish the recruiting process, including an additional QB. I, myself, am on the Heard bandwagon. I think the kid will be a good one down the road. I just would prefer a transfer for this year, if that's even an option. I would love to give Heard one more year to develop under a good mentor. Worst case, Heard takes the reigns and we have depth issues. Our success next year and moving forward will be all about QB play.

Sadly I was on the Swoopes bandwagon but there was plenty of evidence that I was wrong, I just ignored it. The biggest difference between Heard and Swoopes is Heard was a winner. Two start titles his junior and senior year. Plus he is more mobile and faster.

I still don't get why Tyrone was so reluctant to run the ball? When he did he was productive. 

Charlie is on record after the TCU game as saying he wants competition at QB.

He even publicly complained about Swoopes having none

Unless we bring in an experienced QB now, we will not have any in 2015 either

And, if it turns out that Swoopes is the significant competition for Heard, then we are probably in even bigger trouble.

Given what was said, with these facts, then yes its on Watson/Strong.  

Maybe you are correct, maybe that is "harsh."  But it's reality.  The world is harsh.

here is Scipio

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2015/1/5/7494663/the-2015-transfer-qb-lottery-the-candidates

So true about Coach Strong being stuck with Swoopes. He got here too late to recruit anyone.(Thanks for dragging it out Mack.) Then Ash goes down, he loses Espy and has to suspend two other OLinemen. Looking back it was amazing the team won 6 games. 

So true about Coach Strong being stuck with Swoopes. He got here too late to recruit anyone.(Thanks for dragging it out Mack.) Then Ash goes down, he loses Espy and has to suspend two other OLinemen. Looking back it was amazing the team won 6 games. 

2015 will be different and us Hornfans will be pleased...... :)

Actually, we should have won 8 - if you include UCLA and OU.

Actually Swoopes was already on the roster when Strong arrived. . . and from that sense, Strong was "stuck" with about 65-70 players.

You would be talking about Heard.  ..who in fact choose to play for Strong/Watson but no, Strong/Watson did not recruit another QB.  They did attempt to recruit or at least investigated several transfer or JUCO options.

Just a point of information

Actually Swoopes was already on the roster when Strong arrived. . . and from that sense, Strong was "stuck" with about 65-70 players.

You would be talking about Heard.  ..who in fact choose to play for Strong/Watson but no, Strong/Watson did not recruit another QB.  They did attempt to recruit or at least investigated several transfer or JUCO options.

Just a point of information

Re: Just a point of information.

I know Swoopes was on the roster. He was the starting QB in the Orange/White game. I meant Ash was the starter but he went down, retired from football, and Strong was stuck with Swoopes because there was not another viable option. Then three fifths of the OLine goes away and there goes the season.