Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
mitchlovell96

Swoopes

I don't want to pile on Tyrone.

I liked David Ash quite a bit as a QB and think/believe this season would have gone much better had he not been forced out.

But he was and it became 'sink or swim' with Swoopes.

And I think almost all of us quickly realized what the coaches already knew -- Swoopes was in over his head.

At that point, the only choices left to us were -- pull the shirt off Heard or coach Swoopes up.

We did neither.

While I blame most of the stink of this season on Mack Brown (and Dodds/Powers for that matter), there is nonetheless the lingering question whether Watson can get the job done as "Co-OC" and QB coach.  The available evidence to us is that Tyrone Swoopes did not improve over time.  He was making the same mistakes all season long, including this bowl game.  It's hard to believe he did not improve at all, but that is how it went.  

How much of that is on him?  How much is on Watson?  Did Watson adjust his schemes and play-calling to suit Swoopes?  Other than not trusting Swoopes to unleash the same deep ball Ash would have, if it happened, I did not see it.  One small example against Piggy were the wide open zone-read lanes that Swoopes refused to run to.  Those were there most of the season yet he rarely took advantage of them.  Against Piglet, I cannot recall that he kept the ball on any zone-read play.  Did Watson coach him not to take off there (fearing loss of our only QB)?  if he did, why run the zone read,as it becomes ineffective if the QB never keeps?  Or, was it on Swoopes?  Did he not see the open lanes?  Was he afraid to run?  

I say that, at some point over the course of a full season, the blame must fall on the coach.  No improvement over time.  No adjustments.  It doesn't bode well for the future.

I was never a fan of Ash but I am 100% confident that our season would have gone lightyears better with him at QB... Swoopes is one of the worst college QBs that I have ever seen. The kid is not a winner. Like most have said here, I am sure he is a phenomenal kid... But he is not D1 college QB and is too terrified of contact to play D1 ball at any position, IMO.

I agree completely... This season has to fall on the coaches. I dont want to hear about all the personnel issues nonsense... As a leader and a coach your find yourself in a particular situation, the "why's" and "how comes" DO NOT MATTER AT ALL! It is your job to create success with the parts that you are given. If that means shuffling until you find a good lineup, do it. If that means you coach the shit out of kids, do it. If that means finding alternative ways to reach the kids, DO IT! Or give back your damn paycheck! Watson absolutely failed miserably at creating succes with the pieces he was given. If he didnt want a project he should have stayed home! I have been embarrassed and very disappointed in the coaching staffs ability to make strategic moves that would show at least an effort to gain success. The QB blows... Find a way to win, thats what the great ones do.

Too many times this year I heard coaches say "well we have what we have..." That is the most bs copout statement ever. Im not all about disbanding a coaching staff in the first year but I can say that I am completely unimpressed with what our coaches have done this year as a whole. We only beat super shitty teams that we should have beaten, and thats just a fact. I know we all want to pull some positivity out of beating crap teams but that should be tempered.

Mr. Cherry, that is on Mack, too. Why did he run off every qb we had? At least, every back-up not named Case. The train wreck Charlie inherited rests on the weak shoulders of one Mack Brown-the tight ends, qbs, oline, discipline issues, and strength & conditioning. The linebacker issues earlier in the season could be thrown in, as well luckily many of those are much improved.

I am also of the opinion (I know, I'm full of them this am) that Mack recruited passive players, if possible, because he loathed conflict. Passive does not win football games.

Hook 'em!

I love Mack for what he did for the program but I couldnt agree with you more... Make made this mess and CS has to clean it up. Its a damn shame.

I am sure Vinklarik or any of the walk ons could have played better than Swoopes if given the chance. 99% of the 4,5, and 6A QBs in Texas high schools could have played better. A few trick plays to keep the defense on their heels might have helped us too, but there were NONE of those. I guess Watson and Strong were saving those for next season too. Color me pissed off as I am sure many players who watched our coaching staff piss away the season with Swoopes at QB feel the same...which could be the reason we had some players who didn't care( per Brown and Diggs ). Players take on the personality of the coach , right ??? So why should Diggs be upset at the players who didn't care? The coaches didn't care about this season either.

Between Macks last couple of years and this year it is absolutely criminal what we have been doing to very good skill athletes with crappy QB play. Ash was lightyears better than Swoopes but even he wasnt able to fully utilize the talent we have at the skill positions. I feel your anger and match it.

NOTE: DONT RECRUIT 2A QBs. He went from playing against Pop Warner kids to one of the biggest programs in the country... Who knew he'd fail. Says alot that he had a completely winless season in HS. He is not a winner. Bottom line.

Last thing we need to happen is a Will Muschamp type scenario where our D is good but our O is one of the worst EVER. Please god let these OLine commits come in and have an immediate impact. That would help so much!

Pfft...this line made beer shoot out my nose!

It will be smart for CFS to keep the competition open throughout the spring. I don't see a problem with naming a starter after spring practice. If that hurts Swoopes feelings, so be it. Good riddance

A man should always know his limitations... And if he doesnt, there is a coaching staff that should!

If we run this same offensive plan with this same crappy OLine but we have a QB that will hit the open receivers then we are competitive in this game. Heck we probably score 21 points if our QB just makes the easy throws.

It is funny how few understand the difference between scheme (x's and o's) and execution.

No offense looks good if it does not execute well.

pringlelake, I respect you as a poster, but I need to correct a few of your assumptions.

1). You assume I got my information here. I am sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong. I did not get the information on Muschamp's final review from a blog. Not everyone does. That is why assumptions can be very treacherous. I can assure you that it is solid, but I will not reveal more.

2). I made an observation about the State of the Program when Charlie was hired. It was a train wreck. I approved of the dismissals for repeated violations of team rules. Perhaps you did and perhaps you didn't. You did not answer my questions, but only questioned my knowledge, so I don't know.

3). I don't post random gossip. It is just not my style. I do post opinions, and they are typically positive, but Mack held on too long and did a great deal of damage to my University. It has tarnished my opinion of him as a person and a coach. He has a number of wins and the VY National Championship, but DKR is the greatest coach we ever had. Royal left with class and dignity. Mack hired Jamail.

4) You will not see another response from me. There is no point, and it bores other posters.

For those who watched the Texas Bowl on TV, what happened with the fumble in the end zone? It wasn't a good handoff, but I could not see it clearly at the game

Hook 'em!

Per the broadcast crew - Swoopes took a mis-step and it created enough distance between he and the RB that Swoopes couldn't reach far enough to place the ball in his gut.  RB had to reach out for ball and caused the fumble.  Generated a discussion on how important QB footwork is, even on running plays.

Some offenses are easier to execute than others given the abilities of the kids running them. Knowing when to run a play also helps a play's success. Trick plays can help put the defense into a thinking mode allowing your base offense to be more affective. 

Gimmick offenses and the spread offense came about when innovative coaches without talented teams wanted to find an edge to allow them to be competitive against the more talented teams they were facing. 

From what I have seen it looks like we may be headed into a bizarro Mackovic world. A good defense; but an offense that prevents us from winning big games.

When Mac II was here we had a very good offense, but couldn't stop good teams with our defense even though we had really good talent on defense because our DCs sucked, or maybe we didn't conduct our practices properly. Not sure.....Mack had some bad DCs as well until he brought in Robinson, Chizik, and Muschamp. We all know about GDGD. Say what you will about him. He cost us the national title when he called the zone read with Colt and got him hurt, knowing full well Bama's only hope was stopping Colt McCoy ( putting him on the sideline ) as we had given no PT to our back ups all year other than handing off in the 4th qtr. Why put your QB in harms way ? I will always hate GDGD for that play; even though he did a good job with Vince and Colt.

I was up in the air on Watson given the talent he inherited until the Texas Bowl. Now I am pretty sure we are in trouble. What innovated coach goes into a bowl game with the talent or lack there of and runs not one single trick play ? NOTHING !! I was like.."You have got to be kidding me ???" Did you really under estimate an Arkansas team that held Bama to 14 points and Ole Miss and LSU to zero ?? With your OL and QB, you think you can go plain vanilla and move the ball ????

This guy is going to cost Charlie his job unless it was Charlie's idea to go into that game with that game plan. If it was the latter, then Charlie is in over his head and we are screwed.

I was up in the air on Watson given the talent he inherited until the Texas Bowl. Now I am pretty sure we are in trouble. What innovated coach goes into a bowl game with the talent or lack there of and runs not one single trick play ? NOTHING !! I was like.."You have got to be kidding me ???" Did you really under estimate an Arkansas team that held Bama to 14 points and Ole Miss and LSU to zero ?? With your OL and QB, you think you can go plain vanilla and move the ball ????

This guy is going to cost Charlie his job unless it was Charlie's idea to go into that game with that game plan. If it was the latter, then Charlie is in over his head and we are screwed.

Exactly this

Where's the creativity? Where's the fun?

A good coach knows going in, given our O-Line's personnel and performance this season, that we don't match-up well against the Hogs. We've gotta take some shots! Yeah, I know, our O-Line is so bad we can't block for 4 counts so it limits our options.

No double-passes, no reverses to Armanti or Daje, no Wildcat option. No nothing. It's embarrassing.

I've got serious reservations about Watson and his plans for our offense.

If I were in charge, I'd money-whip one of TCU's OCs - either Cumbie or Meacham - off that staff to run our O. Their offense improved significantly versus last year. Plus, it's a fun spread-based O that TXHSFB players actually want to play.

But, we won't do that. We'll probably mis-use Heard's talent next year and he'll transfer to TCU or BU.

Exactly this

A good coach knows going in, given our O-Line's personnel and performance this season, that we don't match-up well against the Hogs. We've gotta take some shots! Yeah, I know, our O-Line is so bad we can't block for 4 counts so it limits our options.

No double-passes, no reverses to Armanti or Daje, no Wildcat option. No nothing. It's embarrassing.

The QB can barely get the play called and run before the play clock expires.  They had to pare the offense down to almost nothing just to make it so he could run it (sort of) and you think they had time to implement gadgets?   The OL couldn't block for a one count, let alone four, what kind of 'trick-plays' were you hoping to see?

Texas only chance was to play ball-control, win field position, and try to keep it a low scoring affair. 

Exactly this

you must be kidding. this is not Playstation. 

Per the broadcast crew - Swoopes took a mis-step and it created enough distance between he and the RB that Swoopes couldn't reach far enough to place the ball in his gut. RB had to reach out for ball and caused the fumble. Generated a discussion on how important QB footwork is, even on running plays.

Well, crap! I suspected something like that. If he can't get one little step right on a handoff, why in the devil are we wasting bandwidth arguing about qb development and gameplan? Pointless.

The QB can barely get the play called and run before the play clock expires.  They had to pare the offense down to almost nothing just to make it so he could run it (sort of) and you think they had time to implement gadgets?   The OL couldn't block for a one count, let alone four, what kind of 'trick-plays' were you hoping to see?

I'm sorry, but it's my opinion that you're exaggerating. But, if true every snap, this offensive staff did an even worse job than I imagined.

Texas only chance was to play ball-control, win field position, and try to keep it a low scoring affair. 

True, prior to kick-off this was my thought too. But, we needed to change things up once down 24-7 at halftime. 

For those who watched the Texas Bowl on TV, what happened with the fumble in the end zone? It wasn't a good handoff, but I could not see it clearly at the game

Hook 'em!

Our seats were in the pig end zone so I had a perfect view of the play.  Looked like Swoopes took a step in the wrong direction and then stretched out to try and hand off to Gray who was already a step ahead and a step away.  From where I sat it looked like Swoopes would have had plenty of running room if he'd just tucked the ball and headed up-field.

I'm sorry, but it's my opinion that you're exaggerating. But, if true every snap, this offensive staff did an even worse job than I imagined.

True, prior to kick-off this was my thought too. But, we needed to change things up once down 24-7 at halftime. 

Nothing is true 'every snap', but the Horns played one of the best defenses in FBS and got steam-rolled.  Swoopes has had issues all season getting the offense up to the line and run the play - this game was no different.  The OL was an abomination - injuries, dismissals, and suspension all but assured that the blockign was going to suck.

Did you not watch LSU vs ND ? LSU ran two trick plays  How much time does it take to put in a trick play or two? Hell when I was coaching youngsters half my offense was trick plays. Kids love it and it helps your base offense work. If little kids and high school kids can learn them along with their base offense college kids can. Texas had a month to prepare. No excuse for what Watson did or didn't do.

The most worrisome statement I heard after the game came from Watson.  In regards to Swoopes he said "He just needs to learn and improve" (paraphrase).  Same crap we heard all year.  Honestly my perception on Swoopes hasnt changed all year but my frustration has increased with the OL has hit its limit.  Some of those guys dont deserve a scholarship.  This team is the worst team Ive seen in my lifetime.  I dont remember after a bowl feeling so hopeless on the future.

They better fix the OL before they insert Heard or Gentry.

edit:  I should have said worst offense and special teams ive seen in my lifetime.  The defense was very good at times this year.