Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Swoopes

Mitch Lovell

At the very least, if for some reason Swoopes manages to be the starter next year, we will be able to pull him when the bad Swoopes shows up.

The best case is if Heard comes in and grabs the job and runs with it. I THINK he will have a better mental aspect of the game as far as being a leader and having that poise.

Unfortunately we will have to live with this bad taste for a while before we can start to see where this is going.

The problem we have even if Heard is the starter is that we have no depth. Gentry will red shirt, so Swoopes will be the back up. He is not even capable of that, I'm afraid. We really do need to get another QB on the roster that can play.

Ohio State finished the season starting their 3rd string QB. Not having at least 3 ready to play can be a disaster.

how do you know they are letting him read? 

Exactly.  I have believed for months now that the so-called zone read plays are predetermined, essentially QB Keeper fakes.  From memory, I can't recall more than 3 QB keepers on that play in the second half of the season.  The decent defenses we played knew going in that TS wasn't going to keep it.  Otherwise, a hole as big as the one we all saw last night doesn't open up (that thing was made for Moses).  Arkie's D moved to cover the back because the odds were so heavily in favor of the QB's not keeping the ball because he was told to hand it off ahead of time. 

Mr. Cherry, that is on Mack, too. Why did he run off every qb we had? At least, every back-up not named Case. The train wreck Charlie inherited rests on the weak shoulders of one Mack Brown-the tight ends, qbs, oline, discipline issues, and strength & conditioning. The linebacker issues earlier in the season could be thrown in, as well luckily many of those are much improved.

I am also of the opinion (I know, I'm full of them this am) that Mack recruited passive players, if possible, because he loathed conflict. Passive does not win football games.

Hook 'em!

If we run this same offensive plan with this same crappy OLine but we have a QB that will hit the open receivers then we are competitive in this game. Heck we probably score 21 points if our QB just makes the easy throws.

I am sure Vinklarik or any of the walk ons could have played better than Swoopes if given the chance. 99% of the 4,5, and 6A QBs in Texas high schools could have played better. A few trick plays to keep the defense on their heels might have helped us too, but there were NONE of those. I guess Watson and Strong were saving those for next season too. Color me pissed off as I am sure many players who watched our coaching staff piss away the season with Swoopes at QB feel the same...which could be the reason we had some players who didn't care( per Brown and Diggs ). Players take on the personality of the coach , right ??? So why should Diggs be upset at the players who didn't care? The coaches didn't care about this season either.

IMO, staff(Watson OC) did not do a good job to put QB in a position to have success. Square peg, round hole...Swoopes had some success moving to the right early in yr, then we go away from that and just put in pocket...should never have him roll left, turnover waiting to happen,yet we did this several times during yr. Swoopes drops his eyes and doesn't see field when moving left.

Zone read, would love to know if he was really trying to read it or if told what do. Doesn't look like it was a true read. The Ok. St. stuff in middle of yr looked ok, but we go away from that.

Heard could run zone read but decision made not to burn shirt no matter cost.

Now it looks we have a shell shocked Qb in Swoopes and an unknown in

Heard.......Will Watson and staff do a better job putting them in better chance

To succeed next yr.

Sorry for the ramblings

Mr. Cherry, that is on Mack, too. Why did he run off every qb we had? At least, every back-up not named Case. The train wreck Charlie inherited rests on the weak shoulders of one Mack Brown-the tight ends, qbs, oline, discipline issues, and strength & conditioning. The linebacker issues earlier in the season could be thrown in, as well luckily many of those are much improved.

I am also of the opinion (I know, I'm full of them this am) that Mack recruited passive players, if possible, because he loathed conflict. Passive does not win football games.

Hook 'em!

Java, you are dead right. I don't think Mack liked alpha males for some reason, and he recruited that way the last few years. Mack was a good guy that I liked personally. I was certain he was going to retire in 2010, but when the staff and the team fell apart and we had that season, he was convinced to stay. I don't know if it was DeLoss or Sally that did it....or both. It is sad that he stayed.

Being retired, I can tell you that once you get into that mode, you begin to coast a bit, and I think that is what happened. But he missed on some fine quarterbacks over a longer period than that, so the retirement thoughts weren't responsible for that. I think he just didn't like the kind of kids that make good quarterbacks.

It is a sad situation, and Strong is just going to have to recruit his way out of it.

IMO, staff(Watson OC) did not do a good job to put QB in a position to have success. Square peg, round hole...Swoopes had some success moving to the right early in yr, then we go away from that and just put in pocket...should never have him roll left, turnover waiting to happen,yet we did this several times during yr. Swoopes drops his eyes and doesn't see field when moving left.

Zone read, would love to know if he was really trying to read it or if told what do. Doesn't look like it was a true read. The Ok. St. stuff in middle of yr looked ok, but we go away from that.

To succeed next yr.

Sorry for the ramblings

Always love to hear from the experts.

To succeed next yr.

Sorry for the ramblings

Thanks for this comment. As a former QB myself, I instantly wondered why they kept rolling a right handed QB to the left when he was already struggling anyway. It is much harder to square up and throw a good pass rolling left but yet all year long they kept rolling him left. Cant tell you how many times I hollered at my tv about it. I know you have to change it up but wasnt exactly helping Swoopes out doing it all the time. That was my my major complaint about play calling.

Secondly, you guys cant have it both ways. You cant say Swoopes has no talent as a QB but then expect the coaches to make him successful no more than you can teach a duck to crow like a rooster.  If you are saying he has talent but wasnt used properly, thats a different story. But thats not what I am hearing and I felt the same. I think the coaches just sucked it up and kept the shirt on Heard and made lemonade out of lemons.

Does Strong announce a starter in spring? If he does and names Heard starter and then Swoopes decides to transfer, we go into next year with the same scenario as this year. A freshman QB with a true frosh backup in Gentry most likely who they may want to keep the shirt on again. We really need a game ready QB or a Gentry or some other freshman to be a stud and ready to play if needed.

Hook 'em!

The train wreck Charlie inherited all started when one of the all time great coaches at the University of Texas, Mack Brown, inexplicably decided to change his offensive philosophy which was highly dependent upon a dual threat quarterback and turned toward a drop back passing scheme somewhat akin to what Charlie Strong used this year and apparently wants to use for the future. So far as I know, every quarterback Mack recruited left because they wanted to leave, and not because Mack ran them off. Perhaps they didn't like the offense he was running.  If Charlie doesn't go back to running an offense that depends first and foremost on a dual threat qb, he will not fare any better than did Mack..nor he himself this year.

And further...the train wreck that Charlie was forced to play with this year was about 12 to 14 players short of what was available when Mack announced his retirement. Add those guys back to the team and it still wouldn't have been great...but sure as hell much better than what we were forced to play with this year.

Hind sight is always 20/20. Much of the blame for this year's team's failure lies with Mack, but Charlie made his own bed when he came in and changed the way things were done during a mid-stream swim and ran off a substantial part of the team. Part of the blame lies on him. When anyone says.."we didn't have the talent this year"...there needs to be a qualifier along the lines of .."after we lost, for one reason or another, 14 players from last year's team that may have helped us"...we didn't have any talent.

Mr. Cherry, thank you for your honesty. That was the only explanation for some of his decisions, but it's such a strange mindset for a football coach. I believe the few alphas that got past him and through the door probably intimidated the daylights out of him. Muschamp must have terrified him.

Good night. Are you kidding me? If I started right now.... typing the names of all the super football players that Mack brought to UT ...I'd still be going 15 minutes later. You don't know Mack Brown if you think he was intimidated by alpha males. Ask Cedric Benson whether or not you want to tangle with Mack.

So far as Muschamp.... you think he terrified Mack?? Mack was the guy that made the huge mistake of putting him in the position of coach in waiting solely for the ability to be able to pay him enough money to keep him.

Does Strong announce a starter in spring? If he does and names Heard starter and then Swoopes decides to transfer, we go into next year with the same scenario as this year.

Pfft...this line made beer shoot out my nose!

It will be smart for CFS to keep the competition open throughout the spring. I don't see a problem with naming a starter after spring practice. If that hurts Swoopes feelings, so be it. Good riddance

Pringlelake, if you are right and I am wrong that's fine by me. Since you know Mack quite well, please explain why Sally was in Muschamp's final review? I find that highly irregular. To my knowledge, Sally was not an AD employee.

Why did Harsin get the hell out of Dodge as fast as his Nike's could take him? Jerry Gray?

What about the former NFL lineman who wouldn't allow his son to to play on a Brown coached team & took him straight to College Station (OL). The kid is now a pro. And the multi-million dollar alums (also former players) who refused to continue to participate in Mack's 'Kitchen Cabinet' because he wouldn't listen to anyone and was so hard-headed. That Mack Brown!

I agree he was a nice guy & brought us a National Championship, but like all of us, he was and is flawed. No one is perfect, and we are now experiencing tough times because he was not perfect, and he stayed too long.

Pfft...this line made beer shoot out my nose!

It will be smart for CFS to keep the competition open throughout the spring. I don't see a problem with naming a starter after spring practice. If that hurts Swoopes feelings, so be it. Good riddance

What a waste of good beer! :)  Thats kinda what I was trying to get at. If its clear cut and they know what they want to do I would name Heard in spring..then move Swoopes or hope he transfers to open a scholly for 2016. Give Gentry or whoever more reps at QB. Dont reallly see the need for Swoopes to continue taking reps if he comes out of spring no better than he is now.

Java, you are dead right. I don't think Mack liked alpha males for some reason, and he recruited that way the last few years. Mack was a good guy that I liked personally. I was certain he was going to retire in 2010, but when the staff and the team fell apart and we had that season, he was convinced to stay. I don't know if it was DeLoss or Sally that did it....or both. It is sad that he stayed.

Being retired, I can tell you that once you get into that mode, you begin to coast a bit, and I think that is what happened. But he missed on some fine quarterbacks over a longer period than that, so the retirement thoughts weren't responsible for that. I think he just didn't like the kind of kids that make good quarterbacks.

It is a sad situation, and Strong is just going to have to recruit his way out of it.

Cherry, 

Love your posts the vast majority of the time, but have to counter some of your comments here...

Major, Sims, Vince and Colt all played QB for Mack and were good quarterbacks ...he missed the last few years for sure....but those 4 are likely in the top 10 QB's in UT History....not sure what you mean makes a good QB, but all those had it....That basically accounts for 11-12 years of Mack's tenure...

LHornJack, Mack didn't recruit Major, and if I recall correctly, Brewster had to convince him to take Vince. Mack got the credit, but Vince was recruited by Brewster. Mack initially resisted bringing Vince in, but eventually did so with a great deal of push by Brewster.

Others here can either confirm or deny, but I am fairly certain of those facts.

Mackovic recruited Major.

Hook 'em!

Pringlelake, if you are right and I am wrong that's fine by me. Since you know Mack quite well, please explain why Sally was in Muschamp's final review? I find that highly irregular. To my knowledge, Sally was not an AD employee.

Why did Harsin get the hell out of Dodge as fast as his Nike's could take him? Jerry Gray?

What about the former NFL lineman who wouldn't allow his son to to play on a Brown coached team & took him straight to College Station (OL). The kid is now a pro. And the multi-million dollar alums (also former players) who refused to continue to participate in Mack's 'Kitchen Cabinet' because he wouldn't listen to anyone and was so hard-headed. That Mack Brown!

I agree he was a nice guy & brought us a National Championship, but like all of us, he was and is flawed. No one is perfect, and we are now experiencing tough times because he was not perfect, and he stayed too long.

java.. Let's get one thing straight right up front. I never said that Mack did not have flaws. In fact, I placed part of the blame of our current situation at his feet. But not all the blame.

I'm confident in what I know about Mack and find no need to go any further than point to his record. But you hold yourself out as knowing with certainty what Mack does and does not do. You've stated, as a truth,  that Sally was in Muschamp's final review? How do you know that?  Were you sitting there also? Did Muschamp tell you Sally was there? Give me the details on all that and how you came to personally know that it's true.

And while you're at it, fill me in on the extent of your personal knowledge of the truth of your other examples of Brown's ineptitude?

Is it possible that you don't really know if they're true or not??? That possibly you did nothing more than read them on a message board or in a blog and truthfully...don't know if they're true or not?  Is it possible that one of the sources of your information was that same guy that told us that he could guarantee that Nick Saban was going to be our next head football coach?

Regarding Harsin, last I heard he was head coach at Boise State? Right? I'd say that was a pretty good reason to move on down the line.

What does Jerry Gray have to do with all of this? You and Jerry big buds too? Tell Jerry I said hi.

I have no desire to bash any part of the University of Texas football program...past or present. I love Charlie Strong and he has my 100% support. But I don't have much appreciation for those fans that want to pile on the hate for a coach that gave us 10 to 12 years of the best football of our lives at UT...especially when you don't have actual knowledge of what is true or not true. He had flaws like we all do and needed to move on. But I find no need to continue the Mack bashing that's been going on for nearly 2 years now. Drop it.

LHornJack, Mack didn't recruit Major, and if I recall correctly, Brewster had to convince him to take Vince. Mack got the credit, but Vince was recruited by Brewster. Mack initially resisted bringing Vince in, but eventually did so with a great deal of push by Brewster.

Others here can either confirm or deny, but I am fairly certain of those facts.

Mackovic recruited Major.

Hook 'em!

That's correct as I remember it.

Brewster was a very good recruiter. And it's funny that he had to show Mack film several times to convince him. Even at that, Mack didn't go with what he was seeing . . . he gave the nod because he was loyal to Brewster.

Mackovic found Major late in the process at some Catholic school in Baton Rouge I believe.

java.. Let's get one thing straight right up front. I never said that Mack did not have flaws. In fact, I placed part of the blame of our current situation at his feet. But not all the blame.

I'm confident in what I know about Mack and find no need to go any further than point to his record. But you hold yourself out as knowing with certainty what Mack does and does not do. You've stated, as a truth,  that Sally was in Muschamp's final review? How do you know that?  Were you sitting there also? Did Muschamp tell you Sally was there? Give me the details on all that and how you came to personally know that it's true.

And while you're at it, fill me in on the extent of your personal knowledge of the truth of your other examples of Brown's ineptitude?

Is it possible that you don't really know if they're true or not??? That possibly you did nothing more than read them on a message board or in a blog and truthfully...don't know if they're true or not?  Is it possible that one of the sources of your information was that same guy that told us that he could guarantee that Nick Saban was going to be our next head football coach?

Regarding Harsin, last I heard he was head coach at Boise State? Right? I'd say that was a pretty good reason to move on down the line.

What does Jerry Gray have to do with all of this? You and Jerry big buds too? Tell Jerry I said hi.

I have no desire to bash any part of the University of Texas football program...past or present. I love Charlie Strong and he has my 100% support. But I don't have much appreciation for those fans that want to pile on the hate for a coach that gave us 10 to 12 years of the best football of our lives at UT...especially when you don't have actual knowledge of what is true or not true. He had flaws like we all do and needed to move on. But I find no need to continue the Mack bashing that's been going on for nearly 2 years now. Drop it.

Good post though I disagree with some of it, very well put nonetheless.

I'll say this . . . Mack put almost an immediate stop to the best talent this state has going to the Florida States, Miamis, USCs of the college world that was taking place at the time. It was a mass exodus to those and other programs until Mack got here. It was said by year 3 that Mack had almost closed the doors to the state.

Take one look at OU today. Stoops and that program are suffering and living a lie because they stopped taking on Texas for the best of Texas talent. Stoops pretended to launch some cockeyed national recruiting campaign and that got him in trouble because those players didn't pan out like Texas players do. To get out of it, he's turned to some desperate moves that have called him into question and are now biting him in the karma butt.

You can lay that at Mack's feet, too. He didn't win many in the Cotton Bowl, but he was the master in February. At the same time, talent at Texas became elevated on both sides of the ball. Under Mackovic, great offensive stars and good defensive players but short on the defensive coaching.

It's late, I think I'm rambling. Damn, sorry.