Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

He could decommit at some point soon as I understand things are not so great between dad and summy. But the kid really likes aggy. 

IMO, we can't seriously consider him as an option until he schedules a visit and makes that visit.

Maybe...

Just Maybe, he takes baseball into consideration too, and not just to accept his draft position and offer.  Maybe he might like to follow his uncle's path.

Ags aren't even listed in the top 40 there.

But he is most likely Aggy.

There is NO CHANCE his dad will let him go anywhere to be redshirted...its almost the Phil/Chris Simms scenario all over again...If the kid is a first round draft pick in the MLB , it will be very hard for him to pass on the signing bonus, he can always come back to play QB after he finds out that hitting a curve is extremely difficult thing

I don't understand why most people assume that Murray is going to come in and start for the Aggies from Day 1 - Allen was the #1 QB prospect in the country last season (and #5 overall best prospect) and is incredibly talented.  Yes Allen had some struggles this season, but he was a true freshman being asked to play against the SEC West - I'm willing to give him a bit of a pass.

I doubt Murray is afraid of competition, but I think a redshirt is a very real possibility for him - unless his dad has a promise from Sumlin that he's coming in as a starter.  Considering he's not an early entry - that would be a hell of a feat.

If Murray is a 1st or 2nd round pick in the MLB draft, I don't see him stepping on a college campus next Fall for football.  The signing bonus will be to great.  Even 5th round picks have signed for upwards to $950,000.

We don't really need a kid like Murray, though it would be fun to watch the Ags melt down (again!). The quarterback we need the most is one that could step in and compete to be the starter right now. We do need some of the big fast receivers like Burt and Lodge. And the corners from Florida and Texas.

Murray, like Chad President, isn't what Texas is looking for.

Regardless, I expect him to sign with A&M, then sign to play MLB (after being drafted).

I agree that we don't need another freshman QB. An experienced transfer QB that can compete for the starting job next year is a need. However, Murray is too good to pass up if he wants to come here. He has the ability to have a Vince Young type of impact on a program.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kyler decommits since there are reports that his father doesn't like Sumlin and he's not impressed with the development of Johnny. Also, we now have Malik recruiting him for us. If Kyler does decommit, I would expect Oregon to also be an option.

I agree that we don't need another freshman QB. An experienced transfer QB that can compete for the starting job next year is a need. However, Murray is too good to pass up if he wants to come here. He has the ability to have a Vince Young type of impact on a program.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kyler decommits since there are reports that his father doesn't like Sumlin and he's not impressed with the development of Johnny. Also, we now have Malik recruiting him for us. If Kyler does decommit, I would expect Oregon to also be an option.

I take Murray everyday of the week and win a ton of games.....I do think it is an extreme longshot and wouldn't get my hopes up,,,,, although dad knows you have to play defense at the next level to be successful

Murray, like Chad President, isn't what Texas is looking for.

Regardless, I expect him to sign with A&M, then sign to play MLB (after being drafted).

I'm very confused by the first sentence.  Under what scenario would a Power 5 conference university state that Murray isn't what their program needs or is looking for? If a university makes that statement, time to move allegiances b/c the program is in total disarray and evaluating talent is at a junior high level.

A very informed major league baseball fan at my office claimed on Monday that he believes Murray will be offered a $1.0 MM or more signing bonus to play ball.  If that kind of money is thrown at Murray, IMO he will sign a contract to play baseball and keep college football in his back pocket as a plan B.  I no longer harbor any long-shot hopes or thoughts that he will somehow come to UT for baseball and or football.

This scenario would also be a graceful way out for Kevin Murray re: his son at aggy, since it is rumored he does not like Sumlin or they somehow don't get along / see eye-to-eye.

Nephew is friends with Murray, attends Allen HS. He laughed at me when I told him of all the chatter regarding him not attending AM. He said, "you know who his dad is right?". I guess I am an insider now and everything I post is 97% accurate. I told him of the scuttlebutt on dad not liking Sumlin that we have been reading. He stuck to his response above. Time will tell. I rembember watching Heard in the HS playoffs before arriving at UT, he seemed unstoppable and a can't miss commit. He seems on par with Murray, and taller at that. I think he can be a good QB with good coaching. Played at a high level and won, much like Murray. I agree with other posters that if we sign another QB he needs to be someone who can contribute immediately vs clogging the bench as an underclassman.

Has everybody already given up pon Jerrod Heard? I dont hear any talk about him, only of transfers and other QBs. The kid was all that we wanted when he had that new car smell... I dont think we need a transfer. I like him, he's a winner(proven), and the early reports I read said that he has the "it" factor. IMO

He might fit the Oregon offense pretty well

Many were surprised he didn't commit there originally as their depth chart is pretty open.

Neither he nor his father is "opposed" to TEXAS.   They are not from teh sheep humping branch. . .and this level 2.

Although a 2-5 year run at baseball is most likely.

Has everybody already given up pon Jerrod Heard? I dont hear any talk about him, only of transfers and other QBs. The kid was all that we wanted when he had that new car smell... I dont think we need a transfer. I like him, he's a winner(proven), and the early reports I read said that he has the "it" factor. IMO

I think the Heard factor and the UT QB situation have several dynamics / moving parts. 

First IMO don't think the vast majority of our "informed" fans have given up on Heard. 

He red shirted and has not seen the field this season.  Unless you have been to any team practices, the problem for the rest of us is we just don't know what to believe about his on the field skills at this point.  We have heard he is good and has "It", etc.   The coaches have been positive in their praise of Heard while protecting him to some degree from a lot of fan scrutiny.  When pressed for reasons he didn't or couldn't beat out Swoopes, the feedback has been such things as:  Swoopes has a little more experience running the O & audibles, Heard needs to work on his passing game a little more, etc.

Heard was a highly recruited kid and UT wanted him. It is asking a lot of and putting a tremendous amount of pressure on a true freshman QB to come into an elite D-1 level program, be handed a War & Peace size playbook to learn, step on the field  and run an offense they have never run before.  In addition he must recognize, make decisions, quickly audible and execute correct plays against sophisticated defensive schemes while playing against highly skilled D players that have been playing 2, 3, 4 years at a D - 1 level. Furthermore our OL basically sucks this season for any QB, but especially for a rookie.

I suspect CS and the coaches decided the kid has enough on his plate, he might just not be ready yet (higher risk) and that Swoopes was just a little a better option especially early in the season - this is all speculation on my part what may have gone into the decision to hold Heard back.  Maybe too, the coaches thought Ash going out would put Swoopes in a position to quickly step up a level or two... (the jury is pretty much IN on that question).

After this past season with Swoopes, I think most of us are optimistic that Heard will be ready and can step up to take the reigns at QB.  We should have a much better data on that after the spring game. 

Hook 'Em!

We haven't seen anyone play other than Swoopes. The coaches know he is not the answer other than to lead us to another 6-6 season. KSU,Baylor, and TCU games prove he does not have what it takes to lead Texas to the promised land. No improvement what so ever from Baylor to TCU shows it wasn't a problem of new offense and inexperience. By the time TCU rolled around he was in essence a Junior with a full season of Watson O under his belt, and he crapped his pants. Heard or a transfer or even Gentry MUST step up for next season to be successful.