Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Projected recruiting class finish and grades

utisdabomb12

I know it's early, but this is my best guess of who we end up with and how I would grade each position group. 

QB: Zach Gentry and Matthew Merrick
B. Gentry and Merrick have upside but will need some development. I would give this a higher grade if we add a transfer in the offseason. I think Gentry is the mold that Watson likes.

RB: Tristian Houston, Kirk Johnson, and Chris Warren. 
A-. Kirk Johnson is the steal of this class and Chris Warren is a stud. I think Houston is a little overrated, but certainly not a bad prospect. 

WR: John Burt, Gilbert Johnson, Ryan Newsome, and Deandre McNeal
A+. If we end up with this wow. John Burt is one of the best WRs in the country, Ryan Newsome is a home run threat on every play, and Gilbert Johnson is a stud that's undervalued because of grade issues (he would be a high 4 star if not for grade issues). McNeal is a baller too. 

TE: Devonaire Clarington 
B-. I love Clarington as a prospect but wish we would take another TE. 

OL: Connor Williams, Patrick Vahe, Garrett Thomas, Tristan Nickelson, Ronnie Major, and Brandon Hodges.
A-. Great mixture between JUCOs and HS recruits. IMO Vahe could end up being the best player in this class. Ronnie Major and Connor Williams are significantly underrated. 

D-line: Louis Brown, Du'vonta Lampkin, Charles Omenihu, and Quincy Vasser. 
B+. I love everyone of these guys but wish we would take another DT. Louis Brown is an absolute steal that nobody talks about. 

LBer: Malik Jefferson, Breckyn Hager, Cecil Cherry, and Cameron Townsend. 
A. Loaded. Malik Jefferson and Cecil Cherry are special. Townsend and Hager need some development, but I love their upside. 

DBs: Deshon Elliott, Jamille Johnson, Tim Irvin, Kris Boyd, and Davante Davis,
A+. Loaded. Not a better DB class in the country. 

That would put us at 28 (Merrick is a greyshirt so that's why it's 28). My understanding is that we can take 31 guys since we can take 6EEs this year, which leaves us with 3 other scholarships. Give me 2 or 3 out of Daylon Mack, Chris Clark, Holton Hill, Nicholas Brossette, Mark Fields, Demarkus Lodge, and Anthony Wheeler. 

I know it's early, but this is my best guess of who we end up with and how I would grade each position group. 

QB: Zach Gentry and Matthew Merrick

B. Gentry and Merrick have upside but will need some development. I would give this a higher grade if we add a transfer in the offseason. I think Gentry is the mold that Watson likes.

RB: Tristian Houston, Kirk Johnson, and Chris Warren. 

A-. Kirk Johnson is the steal of this class and Chris Warren is a stud. I think Houston is a little overrated, but certainly not a bad prospect. 

WR: John Burt, Gilbert Johnson, Ryan Newsome, and Deandre McNeal

A+. If we end up with this wow. John Burt is one of the best WRs in the country, Ryan Newsome is a home run threat on every play, and Gilbert Johnson is a stud that's undervalued because of grade issues (he would be a high 4 star if not for grade issues). McNeal is a baller too. 

TE: Devonaire Clarington 

B-. I love Clarington as a prospect but wish we would take another TE. 

OL: Connor Williams, Patrick Vahe, Garrett Thomas, Tristan Nickelson, Ronnie Major, and Brandon Hodges.

A-. Great mixture between JUCOs and HS recruits. IMO Vahe could end up being the best player in this class. Ronnie Major and Connor Williams are significantly underrated. 

D-line: Louis Brown, Du'vonta Lampkin, Charles Omenihu, and Quincy Vasser. 

B+. I love everyone of these guys but wish we would take another DT. Louis Brown is an absolute steal that nobody talks about. 

LBer: Malik Jefferson, Breckyn Hager, Cecil Cherry, and Cameron Townsend. 

A. Loaded. Malik Jefferson and Cecil Cherry are special. Townsend and Hager need some development, but I love their upside. 

DBs: Deshon Elliott, Jamille Johnson, Tim Irvin, Kris Boyd, and Davante Davis,

A+. Loaded. Not a better DB class in the country. 

That would put us at 28 (Merrick is a greyshirt so that's why it's 28). My understanding is that we can take 31 guys since we can take 6EEs this year, which leaves us with 3 other scholarships. Give me 2 or 3 out of Daylon Mack, Chris Clark, Holton Hill, Nicholas Brossette, Mark Fields, Demarkus Lodge, and Anthony Wheeler. 

You left off Camrin Knight, a TE who is a team mate of Burt. Currently a Gator, but says he's going to visit. I'd love to see us snag him so we could have some quality competition at the position and depth.

Of your final three spots candidates:

Mack - Texas

Clark - somewhere else

Hill - Texas

Brossette - LSU

Fields - Texas

Lodge - somewhere else

Wheeler - somewhere else

Knight - If not Fields, then Knight to Texas?

Strickland - Tech

It really pains me not to have Lodge's name next to Texas. Special talent.

IMO, a commitment from Tim Irvin is the same as getting another 5-star.

You left off Camrin Knight, a TE who is a team mate of Burt. Currently a Gator, but says he's going to visit. I'd love to see us snag him so we could have some quality competition at the position and depth.

Of your final three spots candidates:

Mack - Texas

Clark - somewhere else

Hill - Texas

Brossette - LSU

Fields - Texas

Lodge - somewhere else

Wheeler - somewhere else

Knight - If not Fields, the Knight to Texas?

Strickland - Tech

I'm just not sure we will take both Fields an Hill if we land all those guys above. 

IMO in order of need in this class would be TE, DT and DB. So I would hope we land Hill, Knight/Clark and Mack. 

Heads Up, Gentlemen! When SIrons speaks, people should listen.

Hook 'em!

Oops, internet down, at least temporarily, in the home where I am visiting for the Holidays. Haven't gotten posting from iPhone down yet-I guess. Apologize for double post.

My revised list:

Mack - Texas

Hill - Texas

Wheeler - Texas

Boyd -Texas

Irvin - Texas

Clarrington - Texas

Warren - Texas

Gilbert Johnson - Texas

Devante Davis - Texas

Newsome - Texas

Burt - Auburn

I like the list. The only name I'm having troubles imaging at Texas is Mack. He even said the only reason we're even in the conversation is because Malik is there. Not really encouraging. However, friends seem to have more pull than the institutions themselves so we'll find out how that one goes.

I like the list. The only name I'm having troubles imaging at Texas is Mack. He even said the only reason we're even in the conversation is because Malik is there. Not really encouraging. However, friends seem to have more pull than the institutions themselves so we'll find out how that one goes.

I'm worried about Boyd on that list. I'm concerned he's going to let the time slip away.

On Mack, I don't necessarily point to Malik as the reason he comes. Malik gets him in the door. Rumph makes him want to stay. That and facilities, academics, town, chicks, etc., . . everything tcu has but more and better.

Plus, I do think he's a follower. The tide of commits we're about to see will have him thinking hard about UT.

I'm worried about Boyd on that list. I'm concerned he's going to let the time slip away.

On Mack, I don't necessarily point to Malik as the reason he comes. Malik gets him in the door. Rumph makes him want to stay. That and facilities, academics, town, chicks, etc., . . everything tcu has but more and better.

Plus, I do think he's a follower. The tide of commits we're about to see will have him thinking hard about UT.

Yea the news on Boyd is really discouraging. I was hoping he would keep the momentum going last week. Him pushing back commitment is a little alarming. Hopefully he ends up a Horn but aggy will make a big push if the chavis news is true.

You should add Brossette, Richmond and Lodge. I would love it if you were correct. 

I'd love to, really. But where would you put them? If there's a way, heck yea then.

I see Lodge going Ole Miss. Richmond is such a commodity that if he said he wanted to come, you say yes if there is any way.

As for Brossette, I think the Horns only take one back unfortunately. If there was a second back, I'd prolly want it to be Soso Jamambo. Soso is electric with the ball in his hands.