Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Next year's OL

Sirhornsalot

Right now, Kent Perkins would be my only certain holdover from this year's OL to next year's.

We've got some redshirt freshmen with a season in the system. We have what looks to be a stellar class of OL, Wick's picks, to play with as well.

Who do you see on our OL next year? And is there a freshmen in this class who can play right away? Who of that class will be enrolling for spring at UT?

Our offense has two puzzles to solve. One is the OL. I am anxious to see what Wick can do with a full year to work with and some of his own pickings to play with.

The other is QB. I'm trusting Watson at the moment to bring in a JUCO to compete with Swoopes and Heard. That's three, one short of his stated standard of four scholarship quarterbacks.

Learned something today from a friend who is connected to the team, or at least enough to have heard this a few times from the horse's mouth. Watson will do just about anything in order to not play a true freshman QB. So don't look for Zach to be an option and now you know why Heard really never was.

Heard is a spread QB learning to be a pro style QB. It's coming along nice, I'm told.

Learned something today from a friend who is connected to the team, or at least enough to have heard this a few times from the horse's mouth. Watson will do just about anything in order to not play a true freshman QB. So don't look for Zach to be an option and now you know why Heard really never was.

Heard is a spread QB learning to be a pro style QB. It's coming along nice, I'm told.

I hope your source is right.  Whoever the QB is hopefully we get more consistency and better play next year.  

Baffles me when I watch a true freshman Mahomes at Tech in his 3rd game rip up Baylor for 600 yards and break the Big 12 Freshman passing record.  Considering the kid wasn't projected to start and was playing high school ball last year that is impressive.  I know its the system they run but at least he progresses through his reads and was under pressure most of the time.  Mentally, Mahomes is head and shoulders above Swoopes who has had 2 years and 11 games.

Was starting wonder why Heard is so far behind.  

Also PLEASE fix our Special Teams

Confused...... Heard is a spread QB..... Wickline worked with spread for years..... We seem to have spread personnel for offense.... Why a pro system...... If so, why did we hire Wick? When they hired him, I thought here we go..... Watson going to run more spread..... Like them all.... Just don't understand the direction.

Confused...... Heard is a spread QB..... Wickline worked with spread for years..... We seem to have spread personnel for offense.... Why a pro system...... If so, why did we hire Wick? When they hired him, I thought here we go..... Watson going to run more spread..... Like them all.... Just don't understand the direction.

The preference of CS is control clock and limit number of plays vs the defense. That comes about when hiring a HC with a defense background. Wick should be able to coach up an OL for pro style offense as there isn't an OL who doesn't prefer that style, just need talent to show what Wick can do. That can be said for the entire roster.

I personally like the direction as it an be a dominating style when depth of talent is amassed and frustrating for opponents.

The OL is really something that can take a few years to build up your 2 deep. With Wick you can probably Condense that a little, but it still takes time. The one good thing that came out of the catastrophic season for the OL, is that most of these guys will be serviceable backups.

As for the QB, I think saying we are a pro style is not really that accurate. We ran out multiple styles. However it most certainly had a pro style lean. In any case the OL is the first thing that has to be built up in our kind of offense. Then you can actually hide many of the issues at the QB position.

That is most certainly not to say that the QB does not have to improve. We cannot have another year like this at the position.

I hope Charlie is more involved in the other phases of the game.  Seems like we are putting too much faith in assistants.  

I have bought into the Watson hype but why is Watson immune to scrutiny?  Two other freshman QB ( OSU and TT ) who were not expected to start this year, played better mentally than his pupil.   Now the topic is give Watson another year with Swoopes, etc.  Mahomes was playing HS ball last fall and looked as though he was a senior.  Is Techs line that much better than Texas?  Didnt look like it when we played them.  Baylor had pressure on the kid and he avoided it and progressed through his reads and made plays.  6 TD's.  Maybe they got lucky with a smart QB recruit or maybe Techs QB coach is better.  Still begs the question. 

If Heard is so far behind in his development then either both of these kids are slow to develop or Watson isn't the QB coaching legend he is made out to be.

The OL is really something that can take a few years to build up your 2 deep. With Wick you can probably Condense that a little, but it still takes time. The one good thing that came out of the catastrophic season for the OL, is that most of these guys will be serviceable backups.

As for the QB, I think saying we are a pro style is not really that accurate. We ran out multiple styles. However it most certainly had a pro style lean. In any case the OL is the first thing that has to be built up in our kind of offense. Then you can actually hide many of the issues at the QB position.

That is most certainly not to say that the QB does not have to improve. We cannot have another year like this at the position.

I agree with this take 100%. I think what we are starting to see from the top teams is more of a combo spread/pro style offense that is more flexible and versatile. With the exception of Oregon and possibly Baylor you are seeing less and less of the true Mike Leach spread offense.

I hope Charlie is more involved in the other phases of the game.  Seems like we are putting too much faith in assistants.  

I have bought into the Watson hype but why is Watson immune to scrutiny?  Two other freshman QB ( OSU and TT ) who were not expected to start this year either played better mentally than his pupil.   Now the topic is give Watson another year with Swoopes, etc.  Mahomes was playing HS ball last fall and looked as though he was a senior.  Is Techs line that much better than Texas?  Didnt look like it when we played them.  Baylor had pressure on the kid and he avoided it and progressed through his reads and made plays.  6 TD's.  Maybe they got lucky with a smart QB recruit or maybe Techs QB coach is better.  Still begs the question. 

If Heard is so far behind in his development then either both of these kids are slow to develop or Watson isn't the QB coaching legend he is made out to be.

DMAC,  c'mon buddy.  You can't have it both ways.  It's common knowledge on this board your feelings regarding Tyrone Swoopes and is shortcomings as a player.  If that is truly your take, how can you throw Watson under the bus b/c you must feel he has nothing to work with, right?

DMAC,  c'mon buddy.  You can't have it both ways.  It's common knowledge on this board your feelings regarding Tyrone Swoopes and is shortcomings as a player.  If that is truly your take, how can you throw Watson under the bus b/c you must feel he has nothing to work with, right?

Your statement assumes that I believe Swoopes and Heard are both nothing.

Im not saying lets all blame Watson.  Come on man.  I am just pointing out what I saw in the Tech game yesterday.  There seems to be this overwhelming sense that Watson is a god.  Everything I have read about this guy on here and other articles says so.  I already said I bought into the hype as well.  All I ever heard was Teddy this and Teddy that.

Of course you can have it both ways.  Is the problem Swoopes?  Is the problem Watson?.  Could be both, either, or neither (bad luck).  Could be we just have TWO "slow developing" players and our offense is so much more complicated than techs or tech has an abnormally talented and smart true frosh QB.  I am just asking the question as to why a kid in his 3rd game is breaking records and making his reads, whereas our QB melts into oblivion and Heard is apparently way behind.

Heard was so far behind Swoopes this year is was not even funny.  

I talk with someone that runs football operations and they tell me that Heards competition is going to be Gentry, not Swoopes.

Unless Texas brings in a Juco or transfer, Swoopes is going to start at Texas next year.

Your statement assumes that I believe Swoopes and Heard are both nothing.

Im not saying lets all blame Watson.  Come on man.  I am just pointing out what I saw in the Tech game yesterday.  There seems to be this overwhelming sense that Watson is a god.  Everything I have read about this guy on here and other articles says so.  I already said I bought into the hype as well.  All I ever heard was Teddy this and Teddy that.

Of course you can have it both ways.  Is the problem Swoopes?  Is the problem Watson?.  Could be both or could just be coincidence.  Could be we just have TWO "slow developing" players and our offense is so much more complicated than techs or tech has an abnormally talented and smart true frosh QB.  I am just asking the question as to why a kid in his 3rd game is breaking records and making his reads, whereas our QB melts into oblivion and Heard is apparently way behind.

Because Mahomes is a true QB. Swoopes is an athlete being made into a QB. There is a significant difference.

When Mahomes was a senior tearing it up for the Whitehouse Wildcats, I wanted him at Texas in the worst way. We ignored him and he fell in love with the QB potential in the Tech offense. Big miss for us, IMO.

Whoever you're reading that is suggesting Watson is an offensive god, they're hysterical. He's an accomplished OC who's got some skins on the wall. That's it. IMO, he was/is a good choice to be our OC. We asked him to make gold out of straw this year.

Watson could be a god and it still wouldn't show because ultimately his plan goes through Swoopes and Swoopes' decisions on the fly.

Again, Watson will not play a frosh QB. That's just something personal he lives by. Heard is not "way behind" other than picking up a new system while knowing he'll not play no matter what until next year. While I wanted Mahomes pretty badly, I considered Heard to be the difference maker in the class. I still feel that way strongly.

GBT, they will certainly try. DeMarco Cobbs was a QB in HS. Then arrived penciled in as a safety, but was spun down to LB. Cobbs is an above average athlete who could probably play a few more positions if asked to. This also happens a lot on the OL.

So back to the OL thing . . . . 

REDSHIRT OL

Terrell Cuney, C, 6'4, 285

Alex Anderson, G, 6'4, 310

Elijah Rodriguez, T, 6'6, 300

Desmond Harrison, T, 6'7, 320

INCOMING FROSH

Enrolling in January

Tristan Nickelson, T, 6'9, 320

SUMMER ARRIVALS

Toby Weathersby, T, 6'5, 300

Ronnie Major, T, 6'6, 290

Garrett Thomas, G, 6'6, 306

Connor Williams, T, 6'5, 280

Patrick Vahe, G, 6'3, 300

RETURNING FROM INJURY NEXT SEASON

SOPH Jake Raulerson, C-G, 6'5, 290

SOPH Darius James, G, 6'6, 325

RETURNING STARTERS

SR Marcus Hutchins, 6'5, 285

JR Camron Hughes, T, 6'7, 320

SR Taylor Doyle, 6'5, 295

SR Sedrick Flowers, 6'3, 313

JR Curtis Riser, G, 6'4, 305

JR Kent Perkins, T, 6'5, 310

GBT, they will certainly try. DeMarco Cobbs was a QB in HS. Then arrived penciled in as a safety, but was spun down to LB. Cobbs is an above average athlete who could probably play a few more positions if asked to. This also happens a lot on the OL.

REDSHIRT OL

INCOMING FROSH

Enrolling in January

SUMMER ARRIVALS

RETURNING STARTERS

Thought Doyle was a senior?

DMAC,

I don't believe anyone is anointing Watson as a legend or a god but, you are giving Mack Brown was too much credit if you think he left this program 

in anything but shambles especially in the offensive line & QB development.

I'm also taking a wait and see approach with Watson but, let's not pretend he did not do well with what he had to work with.

When Mahomes was a senior tearing it up for the Whitehouse Wildcats, I wanted him at Texas in the worst way. We ignored him and he fell in love with the QB potential in the Tech offense. Big miss for us, IMO.

When i was watching Tech vs Baylor, lets just say Envy was the word

Thought Doyle was a senior?

Not sure, I took my info from 24/7's roster listing for this year, which has him as a junior. If that's an error, let me know and I'll change it.

I listed him as a SR because if we're calling HS players freshmen then we have to call juniors seniors instead and so on.

DMAC,

I don't believe anyone is anointing Watson as a legend or a god but, you are giving Mack Brown was too much credit if you think he left this program 

in anything but shambles especially in the offensive line & QB development.

I'm also taking a wait and see approach with Watson but, let's not pretend he did not do well with what he had to work with.

You are right.  The staff has probably the least amount of talent I have seen on this team in a very long time.

You can put anyone at any position. Having them excel at that position depends on their mentality and skill set. A good athlete can be average at most any position, but to be great, they have to be a natural at it. Cobb..........Maybe we should have left him at QB. We could have used one this year...

The OL needs about four JUCO beasts for next year with some of our recruits and underclassmen worth a darn backing them up.

Not sure, I took my info from 24/7's roster listing for this year, which has him as a junior. If that's an error, let me know and I'll change it.

I listed him as a SR because if we're calling HS players freshmen then we have to call juniors seniors instead and so on.

You probably have it correct, especially if you referenced a roster. I just thought he had been on campus quite awhile. He had a decent year I thought, will gladly take him back for another season.

REDSHIRT OL

INCOMING FROSH

Enrolling in January

SUMMER ARRIVALS

RETURNING STARTERS

Here's my take.

The redshirts, incoming frosh, and summer arrivals are all unknown at this time as far as how good they are or will be.

Of the 8 returnees, none of them are above average. And the majority are below average.

Two or three of the redshirts need to really assert themselves and become starters or we will see little, if any, improvement in the line next year.