Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCU Post-Game Press Conference

Aaron Carrara

• Administrators

Matt's on-hand for Strong's presser.  We'll keep you updated here.

• Administrators

• Administrators

• Administrators

• Administrators

• Administrators

• Administrators

• Administrators

• Administrators

Very telling when you avg 2.1 yds per carry against the number 5 team in the Country. Unless you have a guy at QB that can hang the moon, 2.1 avg rushing yds is not gonna help. The D played well enough to allow us to compete. We got stops, we just didn't answer with scores. OLine has just been in a very tough position all year and as i have said before so goes your OLine, so goes your year as far as Offense is concerned. I know Swoopes is gonna get hammered, but guys unless you have a running game, it's brutal on a QB that is in his first year of game time experience. We have no other answer at this point, so you ride what you have. Turnovers killed us, and not answering with scores eliminated us.

I will say that the game has and will continue to change as far as recruiting "length" these days. A 6'4" receiver has a huge advantage on a 5'10" Corner. Two things you can't coach, speed and length. 2 things you CAN recruit, speed and length. 

Coach Strong knows the medicine that is needed, and he will go get it. He's a a very fine coach and he will get it done!

Very telling when you avg 2.1 yds per carry against the number 5 team in the Country. Unless you have a guy at QB that can hang the moon, 2.1 avg rushing yds is not gonna help. The D played well enough to allow us to compete. We got stops, we just didn't answer with scores. OLine has just been in a very tough position all year and as i have said before so goes your OLine, so goes your year as far as Offense is concerned. I know Swoopes is gonna get hammered, but guys unless you have a running game, it's brutal on a QB that is in his first year of game time experience. We have no other answer at this point, so you ride what you have. Turnovers killed us, and not answering with scores eliminated us.

I will say that the game has and will continue to change as far as recruiting "length" these days. A 6'4" receiver has a huge advantage on a 5'10" Corner. Two things you can't coach, speed and length. 2 things you CAN recruit, speed and length.

Coach Strong knows the medicine that is needed, and he will go get it. He's a a very fine coach and he will get it done!

Good stuff, Shannon. It's not all on Swoopes. While he was bad, so was the rest of the offense. It was a team effort.

• Administrators

Swoopes does not have the mental ability to play quarterback at this level. Can he learn it? Maybe. But I would not burn Heard's red shirt now. Play a walk on if we have to. The kind of performance we witnessed tonight by the offense must not be repeated.

Our quarterback looked lost out there most of the game. He cannot see the field and he cannot be decisive. Sad. Lots of physical ability, but no mental ability.

The backs only had 2.1 yrds per carry because TCU had 8 men in the box the whole game daring Swoopes to beat them. I'm sure Swoopes is a good kid and bless his heart for getting thrown into this but Heard will be the starting QB next year. If not right away, I say before the ou game.

The D played well except for Diggs. You have to feel for Diggs because he has been one of the better defensive players all year.

• Administrators

The backs only had 2.1 yrds per carry because TCU had 8 men in the box the whole game daring Swoopes to beat them. I'm sure Swoopes is a good kid and bless his heart for getting thrown into this but Heard will be the starting QB next year. If not right away, I say before the ou game.

The D played well except for Diggs. You have to feel for Diggs because he has been one of the better defensive players all year.

Diggs was great. Dropping the interception was caused by looking to run before he caught the ball. He should have fielded the punt. Sad to see that happen. He has been a great player and a great leader. Doctson was 6 inches taller. He played the balls well, but was just not tall enough.

I really appreciate what he has meant to our team this year.

• Administrators

Swoopes does not have the mental ability to play quarterback at this level. Can he learn it? Maybe. But I would not burn Heard's red shirt now. Play a walk on if we have to. The kind of performance we witnessed tonight by the offense must not be repeated.

Our quarterback looked lost out there most of the game. He cannot see the field and he cannot be decisive. Sad. Lots of physical ability, but no mental ability.

The truth right there.

• Administrators

Some truth...8 men in the box? That is what a 4-2-5 is. It's playing a nickel  with drop down safeties. Thus, 8 men in the box. It's what TCU does and has done all year. Bottom line, Swoopes didn't have to throw it every down. But when your OLine gets no push upfront, that eliminates your ability to run affectively. As you know, our OLine has been riddled with injury and dismisses this year. Swoopes may not be the guy, buy dang, please look at the entire picture!

Some truth...8 men in the box? That is what a 4-2-5 is. It's playing a nickel with drop down safeties. Thus, 8 men in the box. It's what TCU does and has done all year. Bottom line, Swoopes didn't have to throw it every down. But when your OLine gets no push upfront, that eliminates your ability to run affectively. As you know, our OLine has been riddled with injury and dismisses this year. Swoopes may not be the guy, buy dang, please look at the entire picture!

OL played terrible but 2 of those INTS should never have been thrown and had no pressure on him. VY and Ricky both called the same thing in post game review. Swoopes doesn't look off the primary at all. He stares them down making easy Pickens for DBs

Plenty of room for improvement to go around but the QB is the obvious one

Shannon, I agree that many of us rush to judgement far too quickly, but Swoopes hesitations are punishing.  I believe it was in the third quarter when he handed it off to Mal Brown, and he hesitated briefly.  I have no idea why - it was like a freeze frame on a movie - but that hesitation telegraphed the play and cost yards.  I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.  It appears he is processing a checklist at each point.

The coaching he has had at this point has been intense, without distractions or injuries to interfere.  His processing speed should be quicker - I would think.  When you were playing at Texas, how many qb's had to share the coach?  Swoopes, I would think, has had to share some minutes with Heard, but he has had the lion's share of starter's reps since the end of week 1, plus a great deal of attention in the film room.  Surely that makes a difference.

I am discouraged.