Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't tell me there isn't SEC bias

utisdabomb12

Those 7 Championships were split between 4 teams. 

Alabama: 3

Florida: 2

LSU: 1

Auburn: 1

Those 7 Championships were not won by seven different SEC teams. And that's where people have a problem with the way the SEC is presented by ESPN, CBS and so forth. Arkansas, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Ole Miss,  Tennessee and etc. could easily be considered the SEC whipping boys for the majority of the "SEC Excellence" time period. Both of the Mississippi schools have come on as of late but prior to that, it wasn't great. The SEC isn't an overly strong conference, it's a conference that is top heavy. You have powers like the four schools above holding things down. And those fans aren't even the obnoxious riled up fans shouting SEC at all of their games. You find those fans at the schools like Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M...you know, those schools that haven't won jack diddly. 

The media, especially ESPN, has been pushing the perception that the SEC is a conference that beats itself up from within. And sure, they have two or three teams a year who look really solid and cause each other some losses. But the perception that's being pushed is that a school like Tennessee, Vanderbilt or Kentucky would dominate if they were in a conference like the ACC, BIG 10 or BIG 12. 

EXACTLY... Perfectly presented, exactly what my issue is. Oh and UF hasn't been good in how long? And Auburn happens to be one of the luckiest teams ever... 

That simply means the SEC is top heavy. I don't think anyone is denying that the SEC has dominated when it comes to winning national titles. Still this doesn't disprove that SEC bias exists. Matter of fact, most of the time the "SEC biased arguments" are directed at the over ranking of teams in the second and third tier, not those upper echelon teams like Bama. It's a given that the SEC has dominated when it comes to titles but that's completely separate from most discussions about SEC bias.  

I personally think the SEC is the best conference right now because they are winning titles. It doesn't mean SEC bias is nonexistent. 

I'm NOT arguing that there is not an SEC bias. I'm saying there is and why there is. If anyone wins 7 out of 8 NC's from any conference, that conference will be the talk of the town. It's not rocket science. However, it is a metric that is measured. It's called winning. Just sayin'

I'm NOT arguing that there is not an SEC bias. I'm saying there is and why there is. If anyone wins 7 out of 8 NC's from any conference, that conference will be the talk of the town. It's not rocket science. However, it is a metric that is measured. It's called winning. Just sayin'

I can agree with that. 

Those 7 Championships were split between 4 teams. 

Alabama: 3

Florida: 2

LSU: 1

Auburn: 1

Those 7 Championships were not won by seven different SEC teams. And that's where people have a problem with the way the SEC is presented by ESPN, CBS and so forth. Arkansas, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Ole Miss,  Tennessee and etc. could easily be considered the SEC whipping boys for the majority of the "SEC Excellence" time period. Both of the Mississippi schools have come on as of late but prior to that, it wasn't great. The SEC isn't an overly strong conference, it's a conference that is top heavy. You have powers like the four schools above holding things down. And those fans aren't even the obnoxious riled up fans shouting SEC at all of their games. You find those fans at the schools like Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M...you know, those schools that haven't won jack diddly. 

The media, especially ESPN, has been pushing the perception that the SEC is a conference that beats itself up from within. And sure, they have two or three teams a year who look really solid and cause each other some losses. But the perception that's being pushed is that a school like Tennessee, Vanderbilt or Kentucky would dominate if they were in a conference like the ACC, BIG 10 or BIG 12. 

Correct! And what other conference can make the same claim?

Correct! And what other conference can make the same claim?

Not a single one. But should the conference get the credit for that? Or should the schools? Should the SEC be credited for Alabama's dynasty? What about Arkansas? Or Vanderbilt? Maybe Kentucky? 

Should Kansas, Iowa State or Baylor have been chanting about BIG 12 Supremacy when OU and UT were featured in five collective National Championship games from 2001-2010?  No, that would have been considered stupid. As a matter of fact, they would have been laughed at. 

How impressive was Kentucky's 13 point victory over Ohio? Tennessee's 15 point victory over Arkansas State? Texas A&M's 5 point victory over UL Monroe? Or maybe Vanderbilt's 30 point loss to Temple? 

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we should be impressed by Arkansas' game-changing 67 point victory over Nicholls State? Or by Texas A&M's 70 point colossal beat down of Lamar? Or Kentucky's 45 point knockout over UT Martin? I'm still reeling from Tennessee's 35 point throttling of historic Chattanooga!

What I'm presenting you is a fact. The SEC is NOT a dominate conference. They are a conference with two or three teams that are good each year. And then the media feeds into the auspice that each of these teams are top caliber teams that spoil each other's opportunity to make the playoffs. Vanderbilt would be just as much of a bottom feeder in the BIG 12 as they are the SEC. Kentucky, would be just as much of a bottom feeder in the BIG 12 as they are the SEC. Arkansas, would be just as much of a bottom feeder that can beat Texas Tech as they are in the SEC. 

How many SEC teams do you think could beat TCU or Baylor this year? I'd place my guess at two...maybe three on a good day. I'll give Alabama all the credit in the world for what they've built. I'd do the same for Mississippi State and the young LSU squad. Mizzou has been impressive this season as well. The SEC however, is full of schools that are there because they carry a slight name and they can add to the win columns of Bama, LSU, Florida and Auburn. 

Playoff system:

Baylor and TCU have nobody to blame but themselves. If Texas can beat WVU, Baylor had no business losing to them. If Texas can beat Kansas like they did, TCU should have kicked them. Secondly, Patterson should have gone for another TD instead of taking a run out the clock take a knee approach. BIG wins helped OU over Texas back in '08 was it ??? All the committee looked at was 34-30. 41-30 would have looked better to Condeleeza and company. May not have mattered due to the fact "they" are going to put two $EC teams in it if there is any way to sell it to the masses. The refs will make sure Bama and MSU win out. MSU and Bama are in no matter how close their games are. tOSU or maybe Baylor could sneak in if they beat hell out of the rest of their opponents. Baylor must beat KSU worse than TCU did, or the committee will use that against them. If Briles is smart he will put 70 up the rest of the way. They sure moved Bama to #1 in a heart beat. That was a no brainer. They put Bama at #1 so they can make sure Saban has a month to prepare for Baylor's offense, should they get in. Why bump FSU down ? They have been playing close games ALL YEAR. No reason to bump them now, other than to give Bama every advantage they can. You say ..what about Oregon ? Their defense sucks, and Bama can outscore them. Baylor leads the Big 12 in defense, and no way Bama outscores them with a week to prepare, if Petty is on. CFB has been ruined by Walt Disney's $$$$$$$$$.

• 4 weeks later...