Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't tell me there isn't SEC bias

utisdabomb12

So 60-some voters and 2 of them gave arky a vote for 25 or one gave arky a vote for 24 and THAT is proof of bias.

You guys have to be running out of tin foil soon.

Bias exists in different degrees. To say there is a small bias doesn't deny there is a bias. I think the "SEC biased argument" is probably overblown to a certain degree, but a bias definitely exists. The argument is also off base. A&M got plenty of votes last week as they were ranked. 

Nice back pedal. If one media guy, perhaps from a little rock paper for all I know, voted for arky that's hardly evidence of media bias.

Sure but I also don't look at things in a vacuum. If you don't think there's at least a small amount of SEC media bias, I really don't know what to say. Like  I said above, multiple people voted for A&M last week so your argument really has no basis to begin with. 

Do you think Arkansas and A&M should have received votes? If not, why did the voters give them votes? That seems to indicate bias to me. It certainly isn't based on the resumes of both teams. 

''I don't know what to say' is what people say when they got nuthin'.

If a majority of people voted for ag or ark, fine...you win. If one guy does, you're paranoid.

Like I said, thinking there's SEC bias isn't based on this alone. 

And yes, quite a few people voted for the Ags last week. I also don't understand how only a couple people voting for the Ags and Arkansas means there isn't a bias (bias exists in different degrees). 

You are entitled to your opinion though.

Like I said, thinking there's SEC bias isn't based on this alone.

And yes, quite a few people voted for the Ags last week. I also don't understand how only a couple people voting for the Ags and Arkansas means there isn't a bias (bias exists in different degrees).

You are entitled to your opinion though.

show me 'quite a few'. One guy could make a vote to show a lot of points.

show me 'quite a few'. One guy could make a vote to show a lot of points.

A&M had 83 points last weekend. I'm trying to find the actual number of votes, but if I recall it was a big number. I'm guessing A&M wasn't ranked high but near 23-25 by most voters, which means they had to receive quite a few votes to reach 83 points. 

This is how the AP poll works, "The AP Top 25 is determined by a simple points system based on how each voter ranks college football's best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first place vote, 24 for second place and so on through to the 25th team, which receives one point. The rankings are set by listing the teams' point totals from highest to lowest. The mathematical formula is the same as the one used for the AP Pro 32 rankings and the AP Top 25 rankings for men's and women's basketball."

Kelley = victim of bias.

Sad. Hopefully sirhornsalot or one of the other smarts will come along to cure you.

Ha! no brother, If I actually argued that SEC ball is not the best, then I would be intellectually dishonest. 

I know what I know based on the facts. 

I have no dog in the fight. I will always love my Horns over and above all, but we are not in the best conference. Of course there is sec bias when you win 7 out of the past 8 NC's. 

I'm sure that winning the NC 7 out of the past 8 years has something to do with it. Just saying...SEC ball is the best there is....and to argue or complain about it is..well, not a good one. 

That simply means the SEC is top heavy. I don't think anyone is denying that the SEC has dominated when it comes to winning national titles. Still this doesn't disprove that SEC bias exists. Matter of fact, most of the time the "SEC biased arguments" are directed at the over ranking of teams in the second and third tier, not those upper echelon teams like Bama. It's a given that the SEC has dominated when it comes to titles but that's completely separate from most discussions about SEC bias.  

I personally think the SEC is the best conference right now because they are winning titles. It doesn't mean SEC bias is nonexistent. 

''I don't know what to say' is what people say when they got nuthin'.

If a majority of people voted for ag or ark, fine...you win. If one guy does, you're paranoid.

You know, you're going to get calluses on your hands from patting yourself on the back so much. At best, you come across as extremely naive on this while attempting to seem above it all.

From my seat, you're the one who has nuthin. I've seen graphics and figures, etc., from the other side but really nothing but safe generalizations from you.

I'm not sure you're not the more interesting subject here. lol

The point you attempted to make here is benign. If one AP voter put a 5-5 Arkansas team in their top 25, they should have their voting rights revoked. Just like you've illustrated, people can do amazing things with their imagination. AP voters are no different. So you change when one heads south.

The film industry would fire a voting academy member if they nominated "Big Ass Spider" for movie of the year. This is no different.

The AP voter in question is from South Carolina, not Arkansas. If the majority of people vote for aggy or arkiesaw, then they're not just top 25 but top 10. That dog doesn't hunt.

I'm sure that winning the NC 7 out of the past 8 years has something to do with it. Just saying...SEC ball is the best there is....and to argue or complain about it is..well, not a good one. 

I'm not sure winning a rigged system is worthy of such praise. SEC ball is equal to watching grass grow. Go ahead, watch that Bama offense. It has the imagination of wet beach towel.

To argue and complain about it, one must stand in line and wait their turn.

It's so obvious, it's obvious.

I'm not sure winning a rigged system is worthy of such praise. SEC ball is equal to watching grass grow. Go ahead, watch that Bama offense. It has the imagination of wet beach towel.

To argue and complain about it, one must stand in line and wait their turn.

It's so obvious, it's obvious.

I am growing tired of the 7 out of the past 8 National Titles argument. The "titles" were BCS Champion titles, and half of them were disputed by one poll or another while one of them had 2 SEC teams playing. The BCS system was a subjective joke that rarely got it right. Lets not loose sight of that fact.

That said, the SEC is the largest conference with the best game day atmosphere and huge, passionate fan bases and their best teams are definitely elite. We need to stop crying "bias" and start beating them whenever we get the chance.

Ha! no brother, If I actually argued that SEC ball is not the best, then I would be intellectually dishonest. 

I know what I know based on the facts. 

I have no dog in the fight. I will always love my Horns over and above all, but we are not in the best conference. Of course there is sec bias when you win 7 out of the past 8 NC's. 

Those 7 Championships were split between 4 teams. 

Alabama: 3

Florida: 2

LSU: 1

Auburn: 1

Those 7 Championships were not won by seven different SEC teams. And that's where people have a problem with the way the SEC is presented by ESPN, CBS and so forth. Arkansas, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Ole Miss,  Tennessee and etc. could easily be considered the SEC whipping boys for the majority of the "SEC Excellence" time period. Both of the Mississippi schools have come on as of late but prior to that, it wasn't great. The SEC isn't an overly strong conference, it's a conference that is top heavy. You have powers like the four schools above holding things down. And those fans aren't even the obnoxious riled up fans shouting SEC at all of their games. You find those fans at the schools like Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M...you know, those schools that haven't won jack diddly. 

The media, especially ESPN, has been pushing the perception that the SEC is a conference that beats itself up from within. And sure, they have two or three teams a year who look really solid and cause each other some losses. But the perception that's being pushed is that a school like Tennessee, Vanderbilt or Kentucky would dominate if they were in a conference like the ACC, BIG 10 or BIG 12.