Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newbie here, Big time WVU fan

JoshScottWVU

3-3-5 was a gap control defense. The front line consisted of a NT, DE, and DT. Each lineman was assigned a specific gap. In 2010 we had the lineman and the depth for it to be successful. We finished #3 in total defense. We had Chris Neild who was drafted by the Redskins, Scooter Berry, Julian Miller, Bruce Irvin, and some other guys. Quality starters and good depth. On 3rd downs or obvious passing downs we went to the SWAT which was a 4-3 and let Bruce line up wide and get after the QB.

Fast forward to 2011. Every player on our D line was playing out of position, we had no true monster of a NT like Neild. Jorge Wright started at NT and is really a DT. Julian Miller was at DT and is really a DE. Bruce Irvin was playing a gap control DE at 235 lbs. He is much better in a 4 man front where his responsibility is outside contain and getting after the QB. Will Clarke spelled Julian at DT and he really is a long, lanky DE.

The LB's were adequate but young. We lost 2 of our starting LB's. One that was drafted by the Bears and another that played for the Patriots last year till he was injured. Najee Goode was the only one that had any experience. Injuries forced us to play at least 1 true freshman at LB.

The secondary was ok but the 3-3-5 scheme was really weird in the DB field. 2 corners and 3 safeties all 3 safeties could be at or near the line at anytime to disguise the coverage or to be essentially a blitzing LB. The corners in that scheme played about 10 yards off the receivers every snap and it led to many Mountaineer fans throwing stuff at their TV's.

We are switching to a 3-4 defense this season. Who knows how the defense is going to play. The d was very aggressive and was flying all over the place in the spring game and created several turnovers.

I dont think our defense will win us any games but I also dont think they will cause us to lose any. Our offense will be good enough to outscore a lot of teams we play and I think our D will make enough stops. Think Oklahoma State last year.

• Administrators

Texas Tech will be the first team to tell you that scoring a ton of points in the Big XII doesn't equate to a BCS bowl type of season. A poor defense or a defense that is just average won't do you any favors either. West Virginia wasn't that bad last year in total defense. They ranked in the top 30. Crank that up to top 15 and keep the high powered offense and you guys would be downright nasty.

Other than the Bowden Brothers who in the hell does West Virginia Claim as athletes? Don't tell me Pat White and Steve Slaton both of which are currently sitting on the couches as we speak. Sorry but I just don't see the hype about a second rate college football team.

LOL! I'm not sure how to respond. Are we talking about today or 4-5 years ago? I'm usually not one that likes to talk junk (OK, I am) but I'll hold off. The question for Texas73 is this. How can UT land nothing but 4 and 5 star kids, and be that bad? Fair question

I don't want to disrespect WVU. I think they will have a very good team this year. They may have a very good offense, but they have not faced the defenses they will face this year. I think their offense will get slowed down just enough for them to lose at 2-3 Big 12 games. There defense is a complete train wreck they will stop no one.

I don't want to disrespect WVU. I think they will have a very good team this year. They may have a very good offense, but they have not faced the defenses they will face this year. I think their offense will get slowed down just enough for them to lose at 2-3 Big 12 games. There defense is a complete train wreck they will stop no one.

I totally agree with this. Safe to say UT should have the best D in the Big 12. IMO.

• Administrators

Good teams rise to the level of competition. West Virginia will be faced with that task this year. Nt to talk negatively about The Big East by any means but it will be a challenge for WVU to bring it full force. He, there is a reason the mountaineers left the BE... They have proven they are ready to play with the BIG boys. Can't wait.

West Virginia adds a breathe of fresh air to the conference if for no other reason than they are from a different part of the country and they have cool uniforms. Lets give them a few years before we judge the program as a success of failure in the Big12.

Other than the Bowden Brothers who in the hell does West Virginia Claim as athletes? Don't tell me Pat White and Steve Slaton both of which are currently sitting on the couches as we speak. Sorry but I just don't see the hype about a second rate college football team.

Athletes that beat the hell out of Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, and Clemson in the Orange Bowl. Those wins don't happen from a "second rate" football team.

BTW ...TheDeuce and I run the WVU site (eerinsider) that was just featured here with a Q&A. You'll find we love trash talking, but respect everyone. So let's keep it up....

• Administrators
Athletes that beat the hell out of Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, and Clemson in the Orange Bowl. Those wins don't happen from a "second rate" football team.

BTW ...TheDeuce and I run the WVU site (eerinsider) that was just featured here with a Q&A. You'll find we love trash talking, but respect everyone. So let's keep it up....

Dee-zammmmmnnnn! That's an arsenal of shit talking if I have ever heard it! I like it though!

October 6th, Austin, TX. The booze will be flowing, the bbq will be hot and it's 'Horns vs. 'Eers!

Bring it! Some of this too...

west-vriginia-hotties.jpg

When we beat the pants off all those 4 and 5 star kids from Texas this year you will see the hype.

When we beat the pants off all those 4 and 5 star kids from Texas this year you will see the hype.

You won't win that game in Austin bud. Bring your personal copy of "Country Roads" because it will be a long trip back to coal mining country. And Geno Smith will be exposed this year when he meets real defenses.

You won't win that game in Austin bud. Bring your personal copy of "Country Roads" because it will be a long trip back to coal mining country. And Geno Smith will be exposed this year when he meets real defenses.

We shall see. Texas has underachieved for years now with some of the best recruiting classes in the country. You might have a good defense but with no offense you are going to beat us. We will outscore you in Austin.

• Administrators

Texas should be substantially better this year as well. Even with the qb ups and downs this year will be big for Texas.. 10 wins is not a reach by any means. Our stable of running backs will be flat out nasty and our secondary will make offenses shiver with fear. I say that with a straight face. One thing I will say is when the Sooners make the haul to Morgantown I will be wearing old gold and blue. You'll learn sooner, rather than later that

And Texas should be good every single year with that talent that is lined up for years wanting a chance to play there. We have some offensive weapons that will make any defensive coordinator pull his hair out. Tavon Austin will be the fastest player on the field this year no matter who we are playing and he isnt even our best WR.