Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Freddie Steinmark

echeese

Thanks for sharing that.  I cannot wait for this movie.  1969 - that time, that team, DKR, a 11-0 NC season, CB victory over ND and the inspiring & tragic story of #28 Freddie Steinmark all made that season one of my, perhaps my favorite time in my life as a very passionate Longhorn fan.

Hook 'Em!!

Thanks for sharing that.  I cannot wait for this movie.  1969 - that time, that team, DKR, a 11-0 NC season, CB victory over ND and the inspiring & tragic story of #28 Freddie Steinmark all made that season one of my, perhaps my favorite time in my life as a very passionate Longhorn fan.

Hook 'Em!!

i'm with you. i'm a little OCD about that team and read/watch/collect everything i can find.

i'm with you. i'm a little OCD about that team and read/watch/collect everything i can find.

I would imagine with your handle being Street to Peschel (Right 53 Veer Pass) that you would be a HUGE fan of that season!  Among many big plays that season, that single play was arguably THE biggest play of that incredible season.

I would imagine with your handle being Street to Peschel (Right 53 Veer Pass) that you would be HUGE fan of that season!  Among many big plays that season, that single play was arguably THE biggest play of that incredible season.

i've argued with everything at stake, it's the biggest play in UT football history.

if that play doesn't work, ARK had the ball on the edge of FG range with 4 minutes to go. even if they don't score, they punt and we have to go 80 with little time remaining. Not good. So, now ARK is the SWC champ and NC and going to play ND in the CB while we're relegated to playing ole miss in the Sugar.

No 30 game winning streak, no second NC and maybe not a share of one in '70 since we probably wouldn't start the season preseason #2.

i know some would argue whether it's THE biggest play. there's a couple of other contenders. what i'd say is inarguable is that it was the ballsiest call a head coach ever made. asking a sub 50% passer to throw a deep ball to a tightend with 8 catches. nobody does that. 'cept DKR.

i've argued with everything at stake, it's the biggest play in UT football history.

if that play doesn't work, ARK had the ball on the edge of FG range with 4 minutes to go. even if they don't score, they punt and we have to go 80 with little time remaining. Not good. So, now ARK is the SWC champ and NC and going to play ND in the CB while we're relegated to playing ole miss in the Sugar.

No 30 game winning streak, no second NC and maybe not a share of one in '70 since we probably wouldn't start the season preseason #2.

i know some would argue whether it's THE biggest play. there's a couple of other contenders. what i'd say is inarguable is that it was the ballsiest call a head coach ever made. asking a sub 50% passer to throw a deep ball to a tightend with 8 catches. nobody does that. 'cept DKR.

no doubt about it, imo.

I had to complete my SAT test the morning of the Big Shootout.  Wasn't worried in the least about the test, but I was concerned about getting home in time for kick-off.  I had driven to the nearest city with my bf.  We made it to the my house in time, whew!  I watched it with my entire family (and bf).  What a game!  It was on to UT.

The game against Nebraska was different.  I was living out of state and had the flu.  I never get the flu, but I had it for that game.  Not to be deterred, I almost crawled downstairs to watch the game, afraid that I would doze off if I stayed in bed.  There was no dozing.  I kept calling Daddy, asking if he saw this and that.  At the end, I told him I wanted one of those ^#$!!$@^$%.  He calmly said, no, you don't.  Be happy, but you don't want to play one of those teams, yet.  Damn, sometimes reality bites.

Hook 'em!

OK - we are coming up on the anniversary of the BIG SHOOTOUT in FayettNam: Dec. 6, 1969. 

If you are old enough, where were you?

I remember exactly what was going on in my life that day, that incredible team - the names of the starters on both sides of the ball and many long days leading up to the game. 

Dec. 6th, 1969 was a very cold and cloudy day in North Texas.  I was 16 - a starting Center & Punter on the Jr. Varsity at FW Southwest HS.   I so wanted one day to play for UT and DKR, but that is another story. The buildup & hype for week prior to that game was unbelievable. All the marbles on the table for a run the NC in the Cotton Bowl vs. ND. 

My Uncle (UT Grad) just bought our family a new color TV to watch the game. My Dad who graduated from UT in 1949, me and my younger brother who graduated from UT in 1979 gathered round the TV. OMG - the drama of that game - Arky had a defense to slow down the Wishbone and the UT turnovers were killing us.  I began to tell myself and the end of quarter 3 that we were going to lose.  I was more stressed out than ANY UT game I have ever attended or watched since. 

THEN LIGHTNING STRUCK at the beginning of the 4th Qtr. QB James Street gets an huge run for 6 and he get the 2 pt. conversion to cut the game to 14-8.  On 4th and 3, DKR calls: Right 53 Veer Pass: improbable Street bomb to Randy Peschel.  Ted Koy 11 yard run and Bertelsen for the TD, Happy Feller conversion 15-14 but a couple of minutes on the game clock.  Arky is driving but Tom Campbell secures the game with a late INT, Freddie Steinmark played and had a role in the victory.  The Horns pulled out an INCREDIBLE late win 15-14!

Late in the afternoon during the game, it started snowing and it built up to about 2 inches on our house.  My brother and I pulled a ladder up to the edge of the house  and over the garage we took brooms and carved 15-14 in the snow!!!

Hook 'Em!!!

As an incoming Freshman at UT in the Fall of 1970, the air was electric every Saturday.  Ohio State number 1, and UT number 2.  I read every article on UT sports.  It was amazing.  The Drag after a game was chaos.  Bumper to bumper cars, loaded with students.  Seatbelts?  It was 1970.  Besides, you could only drive about 5 miles an hour, if that.  We were so packed into cars, inevitably, some of the girls ended up sitting in their date's lap.  The crazy people were the ones walking on the hoods of the cars.  We never did that.

Police officers?  What were they going to do?  It was bumper to bumper, up and down 19th, both ways on The Drag, past 24th.  All horns honking and multiple stereos playing The Eyes, Texas Fight, and Grandioso.  It was a blast!   

OK - we are coming up on the anniversary of the BIG SHOOTOUT in FayettNam: Dec. 6, 1969. 

If you are old enough, where were you?

Hook 'Em!!!

12. . . watched it on a black and white TV. . . 

it was teh 1st football game I had ever watched. . up till then, football was something you played.

I was a senior in high school in Sherman, Texas. Watched the game with my parents. Remember all the details as described by Worster1.

Had a cousin attending UT at that time and he and his girl friend drove his Volkswagen from Austin to Fayetteville. Left just in time to get there for the game and left as soon as it was over and drove back to Austin. Said you didn't dare stop anywhere in Arkansas to get gas with Texas license plates.

was coaching in Brenham and running the clock at a basketball tournament. my housemate was the HS basketball coach, and he had played BB at UT.we missed the entire first hal but got home in time for the second half. when Peschel caught the ball, Bill let out a yell, ran out the front door, ran completely around our house and burst back in the door in time to see the rest of the drive to the TD. good times.