Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New commit

UTK66

Just finished writing up the profile on him and have submitted it for editing.  I took my wife out for date night to see interstellar tonight and came out to see the news.  Was a bit behind but rushed home and wrote it up.  I like the pickup from a depth standpoint, and if you are trying to take unfinished products to build on, there are worse players you could pick.

Just finished writing up the profile on him and have submitted it for editing. I took my wife out for date night to see interstellar tonight and came out to see the news. Was a bit behind but rushed home and wrote it up. I like the pickup from a depth standpoint, and if you are trying to take unfinished products to build on, there are worse players you could pick.

You don't sound too impressed with the commit. Most that I've seen are the same. You think he can start at RT next year possibly? Having Hughes there isn't exactly helping us.

Navarro JC's OT Tristan Nickelson, 6'9 315.

I spoke with my son about him. He played with Tristan this season. I've seen him play as well.

His take - Says he's a high character guy, strong, tough and quick for someone so tall. Stays out of trouble, listens well to coaches.

My take - Will need to adjust to the speed off the edge in the Big 12 but practicing against our defense should take care of that. Saw him be dominating at times. He's a very good run blocker and above average pass blocker.

Also, don't see this one as a project. I don't think Wick sees anyone as a project. Look at what he's done inside of one season. No, I think Wick sees something here and with only two years with the kid, I think Wick sees he can get it right away. The kid is built, not a lot of fat.

Additionally, Mangino was in on this guy to the end. Between he and Wick, that's some pretty solid attention he drew. Both are known to be top evaluators of OL talent.

Navarro JC's OT Tristan Nickelson, 6'9 315.

I spoke with my son about him. He played with Tristan this season. I've seen him play as well.

His take - Says he's a high character guy, strong, tough and quick for someone so tall. Stays out of trouble, listens well to coaches.

My take - Will need to adjust to the speed off the edge in the Big 12 but practicing against our defense should take care of that. Saw him be dominating at times. He's a very good run blocker and above average pass blocker.

Also, don't see this one as a project. I don't think Wick sees anyone as a project. Look at what he's done inside of one season. No, I think Wick sees something here and with only two years with the kid, I think Wick sees he can get it right away. The kid is built, not a lot of fat.

Additionally, Mangino was in on this guy to the end. Between he and Wick, that's some pretty solid attention he drew. Both are known to be top evaluators of OL talent.

He's got 3 years of eligibility left, right??

I'm extremely impressed with him.  But he's got some things about him that make him lower ranked.  His frame is incredible and he's actually more technical than I expected.  He struggles in some run game things which can be improved, but I'd worry about him in a zone blocking scheme a bit.  The main problem is there just isn't a ton of tape out there on him so I was only seeing 30-40 second clips.

You don't sound too impressed with the commit. Most that I've seen are the same. You think he can start at RT next year possibly? Having Hughes there isn't exactly helping us.

I take offense to that. Hughes and the right guard are doing a good job. You look at the stats ..yards gained running at the 0,2,4 and 6 hole VS to the left against WVU. We kicked butt running to Hughes side yesterday. We couldn't do crap to the other side. Watch the game if you recorded it. You will see what I'm talking about. There were a couple of Daje runs to the left on sweep or reverses, but other than that we got nothing running left.

From his Navarro head coach he basically has started to grow into his big frame, where in high school he had not and thus guys going against him could get their hand on him and into his body. He has learned to be physical.

A good thing is at Navarro, he plays for a pretty good offense that loves to run while still being a good passing team. So he should have the basics for both.

The key ingredient here, is actually Wickline. This is a Wickline kind of guy, where he can truly mold him into a solid to elite type player.

I agree that he will most likely be a tackle. You want that reach on the edges.

I take offense to that. Hughes and the right guard are doing a good job. You look at the stats ..yards gained running at the 0,2,4 and 6 hole VS to the left against WVU. We kicked butt running to Hughes side yesterday. We couldn't do crap to the other side. Watch the game if you recorded it. You will see what I'm talking about. There were a couple of Daje runs to the left on sweep or reverses, but other than that we got nothing running left.

h

Hughes is decent at the run block phase due to his size. He's a liability in everything else, especially pass protection. He's talented but the light hasn't clicked on yet. Besides, he's slow footed as hell.

Its my understanding that this kid is not the only thing going from Navarro to UT. Apparently, one of the coaches at Navarro will be at UT next year.

Well, I'm still sitting here waiting for more info. Give it up dude. What's goin on?? I know that you know that I know that you know.

Well, I'm still sitting here waiting for more info. Give it up dude. What's goin on?? I know that you know that I know that you know.

I do not know what position he fills, but below is the guy in question. I will assume for now he's a scout/coach.

Navarro Staff

Cody Crill

Offensive Coordinator

M.S., Angelo State University

Crill serves as Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line coach.  Since he arrived at Navarro, the Bulldogs have accumulated a record of 52-7, won the 2010 NJCAA national championship. 3 conference, 3 regional and 4 bowl championships. He has produced more than 20 Division I offensive linemen and coached 3 players who are currently on NFL teams.

In 2012, Navarro had the No. 1 scoring offense in school history (43.4 pg), No. 1 rushing offense in the NJCAA (307 ypg), and finished No. 7 nationally in total offense (484 ypg) enroute to Southwest Junior College Football Conference and Heart Of Texas Bowl Championships.  The Bulldogs have been ranked in the NJCAA Top 5 statistically since Coach Crill arrived.

A graduate of Angelo State University, he received both his bachelor’s (2002) and master’s degrees (2004) in Kinesiology there. Crill came to Navarro College by way of Winston-Salem State University where he spent three seasons as the offensive line coach. Prior, he was at Trinity Valley Community College (TVCC) where he coached both offensive and defensive lines as well as the running backs and fullbacks. Prior to TVCC, he spent two years as the defensive line coach at his alma mater, Angelo State University, in San Angelo, TX. 

^^^ gotta be taking Skippy Do DA's

Place as TE coach if it comes to him joining the staff. I just don't see Chambers coming back. He was kept for his connections to the high school coaches only. Either he's the new TE coach or someone else is moving there. That or I guess he could be joining the support staff like Shipley was a few years ago.

^^^ gotta be taking Skippy Do DA's

Place as TE coach if it comes to him joining the staff. I just don't see Chambers coming back. He was kept for his connections to the high school coaches only. Either he's the new TE coach or someone else is moving there. That or I guess he could be joining the support staff like Shipley was a few years ago.

My thoughts as well. I think Chambers makes a move, but stays at UT.

This is not news from any BMDs. This is what the coach himself has told players in the Navarro locker room.