• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shawn Watson trolling the fanbase?

Matt Cotcher

• Administrators

• Administrators

whoa.jpg

There was nothing wrong with Watson's game plan against Tech.  There were execution flaws.

Our offense has built in constraints with an inexperienced quarterback and an inexperienced offensive line.  How many different plays can we realistically have?  We aren't the Seattle Seahawks, guys.

Hook 'em!  

There was nothing wrong with Watson's game plan against Tech.  There were execution flaws.

Our offense has built in constraints with an inexperienced quarterback and an inexperienced offensive line.  How many different plays can we realistically have?  We aren't the Seattle Seahawks, guys.

Hook 'em!  

Eh, you can have enough. We wouldn't be the first or hundredth team to run a two-back offense with various schemes. You're not going to run Barry Sanders and Jerome Bettis the same way. I'm sure he's being snide but if there is truth to what he's saying, it's not a good game plan. There should be a different approach with each player. 

What Lakeman74 said: my dear Watson it is easy, if it is 4th down and you need 1-3 yards and the play IS a running play, you have Brown at RB - calculate that your odds are better he will get the yards needed vs. Gray.  You failed to do this the other day and Gray came up short....

I don't have any issue with what Watson said - for a couple of reasons:

1.  Its a press conference, and I'm going to take anything a coach says with a grain of salt - especialy if its an answer to a question that could be seen as a bit absurd.  I don't expect any coach to be entirely honest in a press conference - by nature these guys think what they do is top secret.

2. Play calls are based on down/distance/score/time, and sub packages mirror that.  This is mostly on the position coaches.  Teams go into the games with packages for each down and distance (depending on game situations).  The position coach should know who is supposed to be out there in each situation and should be subbing accordingly.  If a team plays with any tempo at all the play call is coming in about as soon as the next play has just finished - the position coach should be the one shuttling players in and out. 

• Administrators

1.  Its a press conference, and I'm going to take anything a coach says with a grain of salt - especialy if its an answer to a question that could be seen as a bit absurd.  I don't expect any coach to be entirely honest in a press conference - by nature these guys think what they do is top secret.

2. Play calls are based on down/distance/score/time, and sub packages mirror that.  This is mostly on the position coaches.  Teams go into the games with packages for each down and distance (depending on game situations).  The position coach should know who is supposed to be out there in each situation and should be subbing accordingly.  If a team plays with any tempo at all the play call is coming in about as soon as the next play has just finished - the position coach should be the one shuttling players in and out. 

Excellent post. I'll add that this coaching staff is hyper-focused on execution. The result of that is a belief that a play, when executed properly, should result in the same result regardless of personnel.

It's team over individual.

Excellent post. I'll add that this coaching staff is hyper-focused on execution. The result of that is a belief that a play, when executed properly, should result in the same result regardless of personnel.

It's team over individual.

Good point.

There is also a matter of tendencies and the desire for the offense to keep a defense 'on its toes' by not falling into any sort of pattern of what each RB does.  If the offense is aware of these patterns than it is a safe bet the defense knows about them too.  

The playbook is already limited by the inexperience of the QB and the struggles of the OL, I'd be surprised if they were handicapping themselves even more by limiting plays to only certain personnell.   

Not sure if he's trolling or being serious. There was a pretty long thread on Horns247 about this recently. Watson and Strong have both said that Watson has no say in what player is in the game. That decision is left up to the position coach so if Robinson wants Gray to get some work and sit MB1 then he has that authority and Watson just calls his plays. I don't agree with their philosophy but that's apparently the way they've always done it.

What Lakeman74 said: my dear Watson it is easy, if it is 4th down and you need 1-3 yards and the play IS a running play, you have Brown at RB - calculate that your odds are better he will get the yards needed vs. Gray.  You failed to do this the other day and Gray came up short....

and Gray got the first down on 4th and 1 with tough running v Tech. your point?

Not sure if he's trolling or being serious. There was a pretty long thread on Horns247 about this recently. Watson and Strong have both said that Watson has no say in what player is in the game. That decision is left up to the position coach so if Robinson wants Gray to get some work and sit MB1 then he has that authority and Watson just calls his plays. I don't agree with their philosophy but that's apparently the way they've always done it.

If Robinson thought or coached that way - would he be a position coach for long?  I'm sure because of Robinsons experience and success as a RB coach he has more leeway than most - but I expect most of these decisions about who plays, how much, and when are discussed in the coaching room when they are developing the game-plan. 

Injury and endurance surely causes Robinson to alter the plan coming in, but I wouldn't expect there is a whole lot of 'free-lancing' going on when it comes to player substitutions.

But I could be dead wrong.

• Administrators

Confirmation bias remains strong. . . . So far Watson is doing a great job. . . but I'm starting to understand why football posts get so little play. . .hey, I love Q as much as the next guy but it's a football not gossip board. . . .

Then add to the football discussion instead of criticizing. There's only one BBQ thread on Page 1, so there's plenty of subject to choose from...

Gets it. . . .

Well said. . .

This is true, which is why I'm sure he was being less than forthcoming in his interview. It's only natural for a coach to provide as much reassurance as he can without giving a shred of Intel as per the gameplan. With that said I feel like your talk about substitutions, albeit entirely accurate, does provide more leeway than a coordinator should be granted. I don't have a problem with Watson, I haven't been overly impressed by our approach this season but I think he's doing a fine job. The only two games that I felt disappointed in the playcalling was BYU and Baylor. Regardless, I think he's done a fine  job.

However, at the end of the day he's the Offensive man. It's on him to know those players on the Offensive side of the ball like the back of his hand. Yes, you have position coaches to assist in packaging, shuttling and subbing but at the end of the day, Watson has to know these players and what they can do. If he truly plays Brown and Gray the same way, which I don't think he does, then I think it's shortsighted. You play each player to their skill set. Nobody is going to throw Danny Amendola out against Richard Sherman and expect him to play like Megatron. It just doesn't work that way. You can't have cookie cutter formations and gameplans these days. But like I said, I think he was just having some fun with the media. I don't think the truly approaches the game that way.