Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ketchum Suspended?

Lord Vader

I'm no ketchum fan to be sure but I don't think what he said was even remotely racist.

What he said cast a wide net of assumption on the people of Oxford. He basically called them racists.

But here's where I think he makes himself a racist or perhaps just incredibly stupid. Until his own statement, there was little way if not almost impossible to bring race into an Auburn win over Ole Miss.

Ketch found a way.

Honestly, I think Ketch has gotten a bit of a "god" complex over the last year. He has always had an ego, but ever since the site wars last year he has really gotten bad.

Between that tweet and really being the one to stir the pot on several posts last night, he is getting off on controversy. I have been a member there for 10 years, but I have unchecked my renewal. I hardly go there anymore since this has become my Longhorn home.

What he said cast a wide net of assumption on the people of Oxford. He basically called them racists.

But here's where I think he makes himself a racist or perhaps just incredibly stupid. Until his own statement, there was little way if not almost impossible to bring race into an Auburn win over Ole Miss.

Ketch found a way.

that's not what he did at all. he made a ham-handed attempt at humor using mississippi's segregated past as a punch line. it fell flat. that doesn't make him or the tweet racist. 

honestly, if it was someone other than ketchum i think most here would be more worked up over the pc police overreacting.

My problems with Ketch go way beyond that tweet. That tweet was done in extremely poor taste, though and just kind of adds to al the other BS he has been pulling lately. I mean I get what he is doing, he has realized controversy sells and profits from it.

that's not what he did at all. he made a ham-handed attempt at humor using mississippi's segregated past as a punch line. it fell flat. that doesn't make him or the tweet racist. 

honestly, if it was someone other than ketchum i think most here would be more worked up over the pc police overreacting.

Falling flat doesn't end up pissing off 2/3s of your members and gaining an indefinite suspension is not the result of overreaction. What he said would cost a lot of people their jobs.

The only reason you and I are talking about racism is because of jef ketchum.

I don't think he's racist. After all, he did say he could have been Trayvon Martin once. lol. 

You guys are on your own from here out. I got better things to do than discuss that guy's stupidity.

Agree 100%.  It wasn't a racist tweet at all.  It was a poor attempt at humor.  Unfortunately, the PC crowd will use this tweet to alter perception of Ketch, and as a result, OBs.  Just look at Twitter with regards to this comment; people are jumping to judgement to Orangebloods, with comments like; "This is what kind of people Orangebloods employees,"  "Racist Ketchum," etc. 

Racist or not, it is perceived that way. 

You're from the golden triangle area, yes? How is it that so many blacks students at Lamar seem to forget that area's dark history?

who told you that they have forgotten?  (look, if you are trying to accomplish the oneupmanship game here mark.. hey, i get it!)  however, there are indeed many many many students that attend lamar university that don't know ANYTHING about the dark history as per the golden triangle.  many of those students hail from schools right out of greater houston as well as dallas metroplex.  however, EVERYONE in the entire world, no matter how young or old.. knows about the GHOSTS OF THE DIRTY SOUTH.  and as  i have espoused upon my earlier posting.. they are still trying in earnest to allow for minority students to become members of their famous white bred fraternities and sororities.  many times often to much protest as per stalwarts of the fraternities / sororities themselves. they just find it extremely difficult to relinquish their racist white bred past.  and yet, they seem to find it deep within their hearts to attend those high profile football games... and have the audacity to cheer on those black football player's RUNNING that leather football upon the field of play.  talk about GHOSTS!   

who told you that they have forgotten?  (look, if you are trying to accomplish the oneupmanship game here mark.. hey, i get it!)  however, there are indeed many many many students that attend lamar university that don't know ANYTHING about the dark history as per the golden triangle.  many of those students hail from schools right out of greater houston as well as dallas metroplex.  however, EVERYONE in the entire world, no matter how young or old.. knows about the GHOSTS OF THE DIRTY SOUTH.  and as  i have espoused upon my earlier posting.. they are still trying in earnest to allow for minority students to become members of their famous white bred fraternities and sororities.  many times often to much protest as per stalwarts of the fraternities / sororities themselves. they just find it extremely difficult to relinquish their racist white bred past.  and yet, they seem to find it deep within their hearts to attend those high profile football games... and have the audacity to cheer on those black football player's RUNNING that leather football upon the field of play.  talk about GHOSTS!   

Monarch, I was merely pointing out that Ole Miss is as "dirty south" as Lamar is. Thanks to a few movies and the fact that one of the last racial crimes of significance in the US happened in your neck of the woods - I think your area is on par with Oxford, Mississippi.

You were casting stones while ignoring the "ghosts" in your own back yard.

That was and is still my point.

Monarch, I was merely pointing out that Ole Miss is as "dirty south" as Lamar is. Thanks to a few movies and the fact that one of the last racial crimes of significance in the US happened in your neck of the woods - I think your area is on par with Oxford, Mississippi.

You were casting stones while ignoring the "ghosts" in your own back yard.

That was and is still my point.

ketchum, was not tweeting about "my back yard" he was tweeting about ole miss.  and in regards to my "casting stones"... what i was espousing is indeed the truth.  now you come on down to beaumont, tx and actually visit lamar university.. and tell me if there aren't minority students as members of all fraternities vs sororities.... you shall not be able to say the same about (ole miss, miss state, alabama) and so forth.  and the last time i checked... it is (2014).  as i have stated so very eloquently beforehand... i stand with ketchum!

i stand with ketchum!

Well, Well. Why am I not surprised.

You really should choose better friends. We are judged by the company we keep. You sir have dug a very deep hole, and as far as I am concerned, may never dig your way out after this association.

Yes, I am serious on this one.

Both states have their ugly racial history but Mississippi was an 11 on a 10 point scale. It was the epicenter of it all. That is going to be their reputation for a long time. But that's beside the point.

Ketch did two things wrong. 1. Attempt bad humor on Twitter. 2. Forgot who his audience was. If he wrote that tweet to a small audience who doesn't have good thoughts about Mississippi, it might have gone over without anyone noticing or caring. College Football OTOH is very popular in southern states. The south is trying to show they have changed. Many people want to let that go and so you see many southerners get defensive when someone brings it up or they see "Roots" or "12 years a slave" coming on the TV. They know their ancestors did something extremely egregious and they don't want to be thought of in the same light. Ketch's tweet targeted college football fans and they took offense to that tone. Making a joke on Twitter is not a good idea because you can't get context out of reading a Tweet.

You really should choose better friends. We are judged by the company we keep. You sir have dug a very deep hole, and as far as I am concerned, may never dig your way out after this association.

right back atcha mr. irons!  of all of the standard comments as per all of us OB members that are hereby espousing within this particular thread... you would indeed have to pick mine.  how very typical indeed!  NOW WHO IN THE HELL ARE YOU to be telling me about "choosing better friends"?  (i am actually stunned by that statement!)  who in the HELL are you dude... <edited>  i am beginning to now think that you harbor your bit of pomposity,<edited>  maybe you shall now need to bite your tongue, and start to really think about the COMPANY THAT YOU HAVE KEPT!  

additionally, if i have indeed dug myself a "very deep hole" as you have so very eloquently espoused.. then you had better believe that i dug it with my very own blood, sweat, and tears.  i began digging it as i grew up and put myself through college, worked extremely hard as i often times struggled as per the houston oil and gas sector during one of the worst city wide recessions possible.  i continued to dig all the way to afghanistan, and worked alongside our men and women in uniform, in some of the most difficult, harsh, extremely dangerous war zones known to mankind.  and i did it all without being handed a GOLDEN SHOVEL...<edited>  therefore, i shall reiterate my last statement upon my initial posting... I STAND WITH KETCHUM!

and i shall also borrow a line from you... "YES, I AM SERIOUS ON THIS ONE".

e3756daa2317.jpg

ketchum, was not tweeting about "my back yard" he was tweeting about ole miss.  and in regards to my "casting stones"... what i was espousing is indeed the truth.  now you come on down to beaumont, tx and actually visit lamar university.. and tell me if there aren't minority students as members of all fraternities vs sororities.... you shall not be able to say the same about (ole miss, miss state, alabama) and so forth.  and the last time i checked... it is (2014).  as i have stated so very eloquently beforehand... i stand with ketchum!

No, but you singled out Oxford. Kinda hard to bash one place when your own place stinks for the very same reasons. 

In 1982, my fraternity welcomed a transfer member from Ole Miss. He was black, studying to be an air traffic controller.

While you point to a black having access to the fraternity life as some sort of proof of no racism, it wasn't that long ago when a black man was dragged behind a truck to his death by two white men in the golden triangle. Yet, you tell me to learn about your neck of the woods? Why am I having to inform you instead of the other way around?

I'm so done with this.

keep-calm-and-call-the-police-8.png

horn_sports_ll.png

ok horn sports finest...

i am now calling on you to hereby visit each and every posts upon this thread and EDIT THEM THE SAME WAY THAT YOU DID MINE!

that means you... the person (s) that harbored the biased audacity to specifically edit my posting without editing the very provocative posting towards me.

it is becoming high time for horn sports to place and end to it's CLIQUE MACHINES!

you guy's are now on the clock

galvanized-wall-clock.jpg

No, but you singled out Oxford. Kinda hard to bash one place when your own place stinks for the very same reasons. 

In 1982, my fraternity welcomed a transfer member from Ole Miss. He was black, studying to be an air traffic controller.

While you point to a black having access to the fraternity life as some sort of proof of no racism, it wasn't that long ago when a black man was dragged behind a truck to his death by two white men in the golden triangle. Yet, you tell me to learn about your neck of the woods? Why am I having to inform you instead of the other way around?

I'm so done with this.

jasper, texas.. is not a part of the southeast tx golden triangle where i grew up.  

• Administrators

monarch, 

I edited your post because you made comments about another poster. The rules of this forum are clear: Talk about points, not people. 

It's the same reason I edited Bear's comments earlier, so you are not being singled out.

If you would like to discuss this further, please send me a direct message. There is no need to discuss this on the board.

monarch, 

I edited your post because you made comments about another poster. The rules of this forum are clear: Talk about points, not people. 

It's the same reason I edited Bear's comments earlier, so you are not being singled out.

If you would like to discuss this further, please send me a direct message. There is no need to discuss this on the board.

even a blind man could hereby attest that this very rude sentiment was hereby directed towards me personally!  i shall certainly send you a pm matt!