Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poor Defensive Performances: What is the Common Denominator?

Lukus Alderman

So far this season, Texas' defense has played poorly in two games: Iowa State and BYU.

What is the common denominator from both games?

Jason Hall.

Hall first showed up big time in Texas' loss to UCLA in Dallas, the next game following their big loss at the hands of BYU. This week, Hall was out against Iowa State, a game in which our defense surrendered 38 points to the Cyclone offense.

I realize that the loss of Hall isn't the main reason why we gave up so much, but the Cyclones took advantage of poor alignments by the secondary and their receivers/TEs seemed to physically outperform our defensive backs.

Discussed some of this in teh Cheap Seats (notice that shameless plug?)

Our secondary is frankly not very good in coverage.   If I'm an opponent, I target our CBs with slants and double moves, neither of which they seem to be able to handle.

Outside of Diggs, I was NOT impressed. . . . please don't listen to Rod Babers, he would claim the DB was in good position if he wasn't in the same zip code. . . .

Vs the run game, Vance's run blitz' are going to KILL US. . . .well, they have.   Vs OU he guess right, we looked great, vs BYU ISU and Baylor, he routinely blitzed our LB out of the play.

On one of Richardson's 3rd down conversions, he stunted Reed inside leaving ZERO outside contain. . . . .never leave your wingman/never give up contain.

I have not had the pleasure of watching many of our beloved horn's games this year. In fact, i've only been able to watch bits and pieces. That being said, I have not had the chance to make an informed comment. 

What I will say, is that most of the time, defensive coverage has a direct correlation to the pass rush. If you will go back and see the games where our secondary got lit up, check to see how many times the QB was "hurried" or sacked. If it's a low percentage then more than likely, the QB will have success. I'm not speaking about pass rush vs the Quick passing game, because sacks are just not going to happen there. I am talking specifically vs the Drop back game. There in lies your evidence!

I have not had the pleasure of watching many of our beloved horn's games this year. In fact, i've only been able to watch bits and pieces. That being said, I have not had the chance to make an informed comment. 

What I will say, is that most of the time, defensive coverage has a direct correlation to the pass rush. If you will go back and see the games where our secondary got lit up, check to see how many times the QB was "hurried" or sacked. If it's a low percentage then more than likely, the QB will have success. I'm not speaking about pass rush vs the Quick passing game, because sacks are just not going to happen there. I am talking specifically vs the Drop back game. There in lies your evidence!

So very true .. . .

Hall is a very important part of the defense, and we have nobody to replace him. Hopefully he can play this week, but it is day to day.

Colbert is no help. Our linebackers are a step or two slow.

A lot of the lack of pass rush was the speed with which their QB got rid of the ball.

Mangino and Rhoades had a great game plan. We will see much of it again this week. The defense had better be prepared for a real test. Kansas State is a much better version of Iowa State.

I couldn't agree more.  And this is what I saw in the ISU game.

If a QB has enough time, the Seattle Seahawks DB's can be beat.

We need Greg Robinson back.

Last year from the time Robinson took over for Manny Diaz, the Texas defense averaged giving up 26 points a game. This year under Vance Bedford we are giving up 21 points a game.

I know just enough about math to know that 21 is better than 26 as far as points allowed for a football defense.

Why hasn't Edwin Freeman played? Isn't he a tweeter that can play linebacker and cover running backs or spy on the mobile QB's?

I think the staff has been very wise not to pull so many redshirts. . .clearly he is not ready to meaningfully contribute since the staff rolled Hall into a starting role. . .

They pulled the shirts from kids who can contribute now. . . .but this teams best seasons are ahead of them. . .

Last year from the time Robinson took over for Manny Diaz, the Texas defense averaged giving up 26 points a game. This year under Vance Bedford we are giving up 21 points a game.

I know just enough about math to know that 21 is better than 26 as far as points allowed for a football defense.

Nice post, but by my math the opponents are averaging 24.5 per game.  If you are deducting for non offensive touchdowns which is very reasonable, did you deduct the pick 6 or 2 a game that Case threw.

Also we haven't played KSU, TCU,  WVU, OSU or Oregon yet either.

Mobile Quarterbacks.  The DEs consistently lose contain.  1st downs pile up and we don't get off the field.  

True..It is an answer, but defenses are much more sophisticated now days then they used to be. Corners are recruited to become safeties, Safeties are recruited to become Linebackers. Linebackers are recruited to become DE's. DE'S are recruited to become DT's.. They are faster and can cover much more space than they used to. 

However, a darn fine QB that can buy time and flat out  G to the O, puts a ton of pressure on defenses, no doubt about it.

Nice post, but by my math the opponents are averaging 24.5 per game.  If you are deducting for non offensive touchdowns which is very reasonable, did you deduct the pick 6 or 2 a game that Case threw.

Also we haven't played KSU, TCU,  WVU, OSU or Oregon yet either.

You also shouldn't count the points Ole Miss scored against our defense because that was still ALL Manny _iaz because Robinson only had a week to prepare for that game. take into account Robinson had to work on the fly and had no Spring time to hone the defense. Lets look at common opponents at the end of the season with Robinson vs Bedford.