Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
bbdude

BCS Changes Reportedly Coming

We've heard this little ditty being sung before but here's what the South Bend Tribune had to say:

A final decision isn’t expected to come from this round of meetings, but BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock has said he’d like the conference commissioners — along with Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick — to come out of them with extensive plans for the leagues to chew on over the next month or so.

Speculations on what these changes might be?

The guy who runs the BCS is the Big X commissioner and he has come out in support of a "Plus One" game. I think that is where we are going.

This would only involve the top 4 teams..1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, with the winner of those games playing one more game. That game would be bid on for location and network..

Remember..I told you so it must be true..

Will be interesting to see if the 2 semifinal games are at neutral sites or at the campus of the highest rated team. This past season, in the FCS playoffs, the home team won every game - this will be a huge decision.

I'll believe a playoff in college football when I see it. This is about money and not the inequities of BCS rankings & automatic bids. The PAC-10 can take the Rose Bowl, keep it and shove it up their rear ends.

Don't get your hopes too high immediately. Discussions and proposals are supposed to last through the summer.

I'll believe a playoff in college football when I see it. This is about money and not the inequities of BCS rankings & automatic bids. The PAC-10 can take the Rose Bowl, keep it and shove it up their rear ends.

My God the Rose Bowl folks are idiots. From an AP story on the BCS developments:

"I would say there is an expectation that there will be significant change," Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said.

Delany and his fellow commissioners arrived in south Florida with four options to discuss, but much of the focus has been on a four-team playoff with two national semifinals and a title game.

That model comes with many variables, such as where the games will be played, how the teams will be picked and how the bowls fit in - if they do at all.

The role of the bowls represents a potential obstacle. Specifically, the Rose Bowl.

On Tuesday, bowl executives from the Sugar, Orange, Fiesta and Rose met with the conference commissioners to give their input and answer some questions about how their games could work in a new postseason system.

An option being discussed could force those traditional bowls to give up holding their games in years in which they host a semifinal or championship game. That could mean a year without a Rose Bowl, which has been played every year since 1916 - most of those games matching the champions of the Big Ten and Pac-12.

"We feel like we have something very special and unique in college football," Rose Bowl spokeswoman Gina Chappin said. "We went into the room with the intention of reaffirming what we are."

The Big Ten and Pac-12 don't just play in the Rose Bowl, they are partners with the game. Delany and Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott have made it clear that protecting that partnership is a priority.

I like Deloss Dodds' quote on the Pac-10 & Big-10 Rose Bowl partnership:

"The only way it's going to get fixed," Dodds says, "is for the rest of the country to have a playoff of some kind and let them do their (own) deal. And then after five years, their coaches would go berserk because they're not in the mix for a national championship. And they'd have to join it."

God bless Texas.

Big X commish Jim Delany is standing his ground and threatening to stay tied to the Rose bowl and go their own way if a straight-up playoff is arranged. Texas wields a lot of power with Dodds and President Bill Powers who site on an oversight panel of university Presidents. Two freaking conferences that do not have a conference championship are griping about a playoff for an NCAA championship. Go figure. Screw 'em.

Big X commish Jim Delany is standing his ground and threatening to stay tied to the Rose bowl and go their own way if a straight-up playoff is arranged. Texas wields a lot of power with Dodds and President Bill Powers who site on an oversight panel of university Presidents. Two freaking conferences that do not have a conference championship are griping about a playoff for an NCAA championship. Go figure. Screw 'em.

McMurphyCBS: BCS officially eliminates four teams plus (3 semifinals, including Rose Bowl) model (The Delany Plan)

Dodds 1, Big10 0

Dodds is exactly right. The Big X asshole wants it his way or else. I say F@#K both these conferences and let them go.

Preach it brotha, preach it! Everyone will get on board fully and they will find a way to appeal to every major conference. The Rose Bowl afficionados will give in once they realize they will not be in the national championship hunt because of their love for a brick and mortar structure in Pasa-get-down-dena.

Plus someone should tell the Big X domo Vince Young and the Longhorns own the Rose Bowl..Michigan one year and USC the next..

Like Dan Fouts said "Vince Young owns real estate there." Hookem.

Will the BCS as we know it dissolve?

Not necessarily. Evidently they are discussing incorporating the existing BCS bowl games into a 4 game playoff scenario. It is getting really, really interesting. Make no mistake though - money is still driving the discussion.