Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Coach_B

Mack Brown vs the offense

This has been a major topic for me for many years and recently have been discussing this on Twitter and here on the boards. Mack is a tremendous head football coach and I have major respect for him. With that being said, the biggest obstacle that the Texas offense has always had was Mack. As a former OC, Mack tends to lean to that side of the ball and meddles. Granted, he is the head coach, but at some point a head coach has to let his coaches coach. Mack has said for 2 years that he wants a downhill power run game, just like Alabama. He wanted it so bad that he ran Greg Davis out of Austin. Now he hires a young, up and coming OC Bryan Harsin to come in and install a new offense. I think we got a glimpse last season that there is some internal issues as to the identity of this offense. Harsin loves to be creative and use multiple sets, on the other hand, I think Mack wants more I formation and run it 40-50 times a night.

As we get further a long in this Harsin/Applewhite offense, the lines will be drawn in the sand on which direction this offense will go. I am afraid that it will not be what a lot of us want to see and we may seen Harsin leave the program.

Just me thoughts...what say you.

I think Mack will run Harsin out in a few years and Applewhite will get the OC gig all to himself. Conversely if Mack leaves they hire Chris Peterson and Harsin stays with his old friend. Mack needs to let the OC's run the offense, period.

The quarterback meddling is what is killing us. To be honest with you I think Overstreet comes in and shakes it up. Brewer is going to redshirt - Overstreet is going to come in and play and probably turn a few heads. Then we will be in a pickle. Frankly I am sick of the University of Texas having the worst qb in the Big XII. Makes absolutely no sense.

The quarterback meddling is what is killing us. To be honest with you I think Overstreet comes in and shakes it up. Brewer is going to redshirt - Overstreet is going to come in and play and probably turn a few heads. Then we will be in a pickle. Frankly I am sick of the University of Texas having the worst qb in the Big XII. Makes absolutely no sense.

THANK YOU. It was time for Mack to go a few years ago.

He needs to start listening to more AC/DC to get the blood pumping. Things have been stale the last few years but I think he is ready to have fun and unleash the hounds.

Whatever he does, Mack should just get out of the way and let his coaches work. Boise did plenty of stuff that just works. He wants to be able to run the ball when he wants to. Few schools around the country actually have that convenience but he thinks Texas should be one of them.