Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For those of you who want to put this lack of offensive production on Watson...

Lukus Alderman

...I would like to respectfully disagree. I feel that the offense went as far as the QB play let them go. The ground game worked well and many passes were open, but the throws made were usually either low or behind the open receivers, preventing YACs that would extend drives. It was a rough day for Swoopes, but will be a good learning experience for the young man moving forward.

Gotta say that it would be difficult for any OC with an inexperienced QB and young, patched together offensive line. It starts with those guys and they're just not very good right now. Swoopes inexperience could be hidden if we had a solid, veteran Oline and the Oline deficiencies would be hidden if Swoopes was as experienced as Ash was supposed to be. Don't think you can overcome both at the same time. Watson was put into an awful position.

At the end of the day it's still football and these kids aren't the only ones in America that are Freshman or Sophomores playing. I am watching all over the country other programs having huge amounts of success with underclassmen and all I hear is excuses as to why Texas isn't that good based on underclassmen. It's not like these kids just started playin ball but some of them sure do play like it. I think it's very simple, a lot of our underclassmen are just simply not as good as advertised. We don't have any elite talent like a lot of other programs have or they aren't being coached up, simple as that. Several programs brought in new staffs the last several years and turned their respective programs around almost immediately. So for me the common denominators are coaching and elite talent in the skilled positions and above average everywhere else. JMHO, have a great day and HOOKEM!

I agree. There was a lot left on that field. I get it, a lot of guys wanted an open "fun to watch" offense. I truly wonder if we implemented that and we scored a couple more touchdowns a game and still loss what would people say? It would probably be something about the defense. The bottom line is that these coaches have an extremely difficult job right now. The fans have endured Mack doing poorly for 4 years and there is a sense of entitlement among them (fans). They want instant gratification. The coaches know there isn't much to work with and they've set the guys up to make things happen most of the time. We just can't execute right now. I personally think that was the perfect offense to beat a team like Baylor. We just couldn't finish plays when they mattered most. A lot of that is due to the youth and lack of strong talent on the team. 

At the end of the day it's still football and these kids aren't the only ones in America that are Freshman or Sophomores playing. I am watching all over the country other programs having huge amounts of success with underclassmen and all I hear is excuses as to why Texas isn't that good based on underclassmen. It's not like these kids just started playin ball but some of them sure do play like it. I think it's very simple, a lot of our underclassmen are just simply not as good as advertised. We don't have any elite talent like a lot of other programs have or they aren't being coached up, simple as that. Several programs brought in new staffs the last several years and turned their respective programs around almost immediately. So for me the common denominators are coaching and elite talent in the skilled positions and above average everywhere else. JMHO, have a great day and HOOKEM!

I agree and this writing is spot on. Strong and WATSON do not know HOW TO FIX THE OFFENSE.  YES I AM SHOUTING.

Strong said after the game that the defense was always better than the offense where ever he has coached at.   Take that will you. This is what he is going to do.

Guys I think we are *&%k#@.

I believe ever thing I have written here.

Thank You

I agree and this writing is spot on. Strong and WATSON do not know HOW TO FIX THE OFFENSE. YES I AM SHOUTING.

Strong said after the game that the defense was always better than the offense where ever he has coached at. Take that will you. This is what he is going to do.

Guys I think we are *&%k#@.

I believe ever thing I have written here.

Thank You

There only so much the coaches can do. At some point the players have to step up. I know people dislike the fact that we don't have an offense like aggie or bu. I just want an efficient offense. Its impossible to truly evaluate Watson right now. Truth

When you have a O-Line that is among the least experienced across the entire line and has been decimated by attrition, then you have to bring in a project of a QB that was woefully prepared by the previous staff this what you get. Heck we lost talent at the skill positions.

The cupboard is pretty darn empty at this point. Anyone want to say that we have been recruiting great over the last few years? Because that is what this team is built on and we got rid of a large number of them.

Execution was not good today when the play calling was actually pretty good.

I can't put the BU loss on Watson.  GDGD would have run the same plays he always did in previous game vs BU.  Watson ran a variety  of plays we've not seen before today.  We have an inexperienced QB but the plays were designed to allow him to possibly succeed, he just missed on enough of them to have us compensating for another loss.

I come away from today's game thinking it was another the Horns could have won.  Going into the game, few thought a UT win was possible.  Tonight we're thinking of a few specific plays that made the difference.

Don't sell your ou tickets, could be a fun game.  Hook Em!

I don't know why more people don't see this. Quit making damn excuses. This offense sucks and Swoopes just doesn't have the "it" factor.

I don't completely agree with the OP. In the first 3 games, we went out of our way to get Ty comfortable and into a rhythm. The last 2 games, we've tried to make him a square peg in a round hole.

The last time he looked comfortable was the HUNH drive in the fourth quarter of the UCLA game.

When we try to huddle on every play and run clock, he seems slow and hesitant. I'm not saying he won't eventually grow into the kind of QB that they want him to be, but it seems obvious to me

that he's more of an uptempo player and when he tries to slow it down, he over-thinks it. On nearly every pass play today, he held the ball too long. He's got to get it out much quicker or tuck and run.

And on that thought, he's improved on picking up yards with his feet when the receivers are covered. One step forward and 2 steps back.

I still want to believe in Swoopes, but I asked myself this question "Do the Longhorns win the game yesterday with Case McCoy at QB?'  I think the answer is yes.  To me, that speaks volumes on the progress of Swoopes since last year.  Ash was out all spring and we're still taking baby steps with Swoopes.  They say they're only using about 25% of the playbook, but with Ash we would be using all of it or a vast majority of it.  Ash had as much time to learn the playbook as Swoopes and probably less time to execute it (missing most of Spring).  Something doesn't add up.  JT Barrett had as much time to learn the Ohio St. offense and the same situation happened to them (losing their QB).  Might be time to pull an Oklahoma and move Swoopes to TE (i'm kidding about the last sentence)..  I want a QB that is one of the smartest players on the offense (like I want a MLB to be).  He has to see everything before the play even begins.  I'm not denying Swoopes physical talents, but I'm starting to question his mental capacity.  Rightfully so.