Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Big 12 QB Rankings -Athlon

Master Cee

The little $hits over at Athlon recently released their Big 12 quarterback rankings which are as follows:

1. Geno Smith, West Virginia

2. Collin Klein, Kansas State

3. Landy Jones, Oklahoma

4. Casey Pachall, TCU

5. Seth Doege, Texas Tech

6. Nick Florence, Baylor

7. Clint Chelf, Oklahoma State

8. David Ash, Texas

9. Dayne Crist, Kansas

10. Jared Barnett, Iowa State

I have no idea how they say Nick Florence is better than David Ash or how they can say David Ash is better than Dayne Crist.

All speculation at this point. Guys like Geno Smith and Landry Jones can realistically be put at the top of the list. I read an article in the Examiner this morning that lobbied for Case McCoy to be our starting quarterback because his stats are better. You cannot put any stock into rankings like this.

The little $hits over at Athlon recently released their Big 12 quarterback rankings which are as follows:

1. Geno Smith, West Virginia

2. Collin Klein, Kansas State

3. Landy Jones, Oklahoma

4. Casey Pachall, TCU

5. Seth Doege, Texas Tech

6. Nick Florence, Baylor

7. Clint Chelf, Oklahoma State

8. David Ash, Texas

9. Dayne Crist, Kansas

10. Jared Barnett, Iowa State

I have no idea how they say Nick Florence is better than David Ash or how they can say David Ash is better than Dayne Crist.

Crist and Ash are too low. It's just like the draft and college recruiting -- everyone thinks new or different is better. It's shameful that Chelf is ahead of Ash and Crist. Crist should be in from of Florence based on his 2000 yard season in eight games at Notre Dame.

• Administrators

Chelf seems to be the guy getting the most coverage these days but J.W. Walsh and Wes Lunt looked just as good in the Spring game I heard. Chelf is the upper classman which is why, I imagine he is being pegged as the probable starter.

What are you hearing in the land of Sooner and Thunder?

Choo got a problem with that? Choo better not!

Here is a look at each QB's numbers from 2011:

Geno Smith - WVU - 346-526-65% 4385 31-7

Collin Klein - KSU - 161-281-57% 1918 13-6

Landry Jones - OU - 355-562-63% 4463 29-15

Casey Pachall - TCU - 228-343-66% 2921 25-7

Seth Doege - TTU - 398-581-68% 4004 28-10

Nick Florence - BU - 9-12-75% 151 2-0

Clint Chelf - OSU - 20-30-66% 307 3-0

David Ash - UT - 99-174-56% 1079 4-8

Dayne Crist - KU - 15-24-62% 164 0-1

Jared Barnett - ISU - 110-220-50% 1201 6-6

• 2 weeks later...

I would have Crist above Ash. Guys.....I love the Horns but Ash isn't good. I don't even think he can be the conservative game manager so many want him to be. I have a feeling we'll have 3 different QBs start games this season. I hope I am wrong.

• Administrators

I say let him sling it and see where it goes. Texas masks a lot of the offense with trick plays and crazy formations. I don't think we will truly see David's potential this year because he WILL split time with McCoy and they will run the WildHorn a lot.

All Ash needs to do is control the ball,make a big throw once in awhile and be efficient,the defense will dominate games.Bama' used this model for their two championships,LSU used the model for 3 of their bcs championship games...A good season from Ash (2400 yards,20td's less than 8 int's) could be enough to get us to the Fiesta.

• Administrators
All Ash needs to do is control the ball,make a big throw once in awhile and be efficient,the defense will dominate games.Bama' used this model for their two championships,LSU used the model for 3 of their bcs championship games...A good season from Ash (2400 yards,20td's less than 8 int's) could be enough to get us to the Fiesta.

Yeah, the Bama analogy is a good one - Beevomav mentioned it here as well - Saturday with Uncle BeevoMav. Ash needs to maintain not overperform. If we can keep the running backs healthy watch out.

Good to hear from you again bro. Hope all is well.

BB it is always great to hear your opinion and read your articles man.I liked your comment about letting Ash "sling it a bit and see where it goes" ..You can never truly evaluate a qb's game performance when he throws 15 or 20 times.